neGcon compatibility list

The racing hardware

Re: neGcon compatibility list

Postby itsgood2slide » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:16 pm

Thanks, I'll give it a go!

Edit: Andretti Racing does indeed support the neGcon, although you cannot calibrate it so you must twist it 180 degrees for full steering lock.
itsgood2slide

Postby Carmen » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:40 am

Just got my (first) NeGcon a few months ago, partly in thanks to the article on the main site. I'm really loving it! I haven't played racing games seriously since F-Zero X time trialing back way back when... the NeGcon really adds a lot of excitement with it's unique feeling. Looking to playing a lot more games with it!

Anyway, on to my point... I thought it would be interesting to see exactly what the NeGcon did with Tekken 1-3 considering it is listed on the back. I wasn't very optimistic but twisting to sidestep would have been pretty cool. Anyway according to the manuals the controls are the same as regular PS controller, with the Tekken 1 manual specifically pointing out that there is no special control with the NeGcon :? However, interestingly when hooked up to Tekken 1, there is a unique NeGcon graphic on the control configuration screen (no option to change controls)...

No unique graphics in Tekken 2-3, however, just the normal PS controller graphic. I don't have the Namco arcade stick that is mentioned in the manual for these games so no idea whether or not that has a specific graphic or not...

Now if only I could get the NeGcon to work with Outrun 2 on the PS2... :?
Carmen

Postby Ghegs » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:06 am

Hey, thanks for that! I had wondered if the support is just nominal like seems to be case here. Namco apparently liked to add support for the controller even in games where it doesn't really fit, like Tekken and Xevious 3D/G+. But at least in the latter you can make the ship fly on its back, something you can't do via any other means.

Carmen wrote:Now if only I could get the NeGcon to work with Outrun 2 on the PS2... :?

Sadly, the only way for this to happen would be by getting a PS1->PC controller adapter and playing the game on PC on a PS2 emulator where you can map the controls any way you like.
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby bug » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:12 pm

wikipedia wrote:Namco's volume controller (and the identical retro controller packaged with Puchi Carat) was a paddle controller for the PlayStation and it is partly compatible with the neGcon. Turning the dial outputs the same analog signal as twisting the neGcon, and its two buttons match the neGcon's A and B buttons. This means that a neGcon can be used in its place, for example in the game Puchi Carat.

There are more paddle games on the PS1, but right now the only one I remember is Arkanoid Returns.

Also, the Namco Museum (1-5 + Encore) games support the negCon too. Though I don't know which of the included games besides the Pole Positions would make use of the twist function.

Btw, to check if a particular game is compatible, one can just look up the back cover of the Japanese version on gamefaqs. The symbols at the bottom indicate peripheral compatibility. SLPH-00001 is neGcon, SPLH-00015 is the negCon compatible Namco volume controller (paddle), SLPH-00024 is the cockpit wheel (compatible with e.g. Hashiriya) and so on. There's a lot of wacky controllers available on the PS1. Not all of them are listed on the back of the box, things like arcade sticks and turbo fire controllers are just compatible with the standard controller. For anyone interested, here's a list (with pictures):
http://psxdatacenter.com/psx1cont.html

There's a similar thing going on with Japanese Saturn games, but here things like racing wheel or 3D pad compatibility is marked on the front cover, in those tiny yellow boxes.
bug

Postby bug » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:25 pm

Carmen wrote:Now if only I could get the NeGcon to work with Outrun 2 on the PS2... :?

You could daisy-chain a cheap Playstation to Xbox adapter and plug it into one of these fancy Mayflash Xbox to Playstation adapters. Though a word of warning: those Mayflash thingies are kind of rare and prone to breaking or just being DOA. I bought two, and neither of them worked. One of them was new.

But, you could also just use the cheap Playstation to Xbox adapter and play the OutRun games on Xbox. Most of these work with negCons just fine ;) I had fun playing OutRun2 with an UltraRacer.
bug

Postby bug » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:10 am

I found some more, so here's a list of Namco Volume Controller (paddle) games that are, to my knowledge, fully compatible with the neGcon:

Arkanoid Returns
Block Kuzushi: Deden no Gyakushuu
Puchi Carat
Prism Land Story / Sorcerer's Maze
bug

Postby d123456 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:04 pm

bug wrote:I found some more, so here's a list of Namco Volume Controller (paddle) games that are, to my knowledge, fully compatible with the neGcon:

Arkanoid Returns
Block Kuzushi: Deden no Gyakushuu
Puchi Carat
Prism Land Story / Sorcerer's Maze

You might've found those in my Paddle thread on shmups.
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58034
I also tried some racers with the paddle pad, but usually the gas and brake buttons cannot be redefined (as in 99,4% of all console racing games) to the 2 buttons on the paddle controller
d123456

Postby bug » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:09 pm

I didn't know your thread, this is cool, thanks! How did you find all these? Also, weird that Deden no Gyakushuu's story mode doesn't work. I'm gonna try it with my Ultra Racer at some point and see if I have better luck.
bug

Postby bug » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:11 pm

I also tried some racers with the paddle pad, but usually the gas and brake buttons cannot be redefined (as in 99,4% of all console racing games) to the 2 buttons on the paddle controller

Just out of curiosity, what are the working 0.6%?
bug

Previous

Return to Pit Stop