Forza Horizon

Gran Turismo, Forza, F1, iRacing, Assetto Corsa...

Re: Forza Horizon

Postby 1up » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:18 am

Got paid today and just ordered Horizon. Can't Wait!
1up

Postby deca » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:17 am

I haven't played since the Wii U launch, but I'm far from done with the game. Looking forward to getting back to it once you guys get online!
deca

Postby Moniker » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:56 pm

Just got my copy in. So did everyone settle down in the AM2 club?
Moniker

Postby Ghegs » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:37 pm

RlSr is the official Rolling Start club, but if somebody manages to create AM2 we can make that the official one. It is a cooler name, after all.
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby Moniker » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:59 pm

Signed up with RlSr. AM2 and a few variations I tried were already taken.
Moniker

Postby 1up » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:45 pm

got my copy in the mail today, YAY

xbox wont read the disc, BOO
1up

Postby Moniker » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:56 am

Wow, this game is really freakin' good. I was sort of wary of Arcade meets Sim meets Open World, but they really pulled it off. The physics are just spot-on for my tastes. I especially like the dirt/tarmac mix events.

We'll definitely have to do a meetup soon.
Moniker

Postby deca » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:03 pm

Told you! :mrgreen:

Lemme know if you want to do a little racing this evening, I could hop on for a bit.
deca

Postby 1up » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:11 am

new copy should be in the mailbox when I get home today. fingers crossed.
1up

Postby 1up » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:23 am

Got the new copy in the mail yesteday, and it installed 8-) Played up to just before getting the blue wristband, think i'm 20 pts. off. Found 2 barn cars.

The scenery in this game, :shock:
1up

Postby Ghegs » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:32 am

Great that you finally got it working! How 'bout we gather this Saturday for some online racing?
Ghegs

Postby 1up » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:10 am

rest of december is not good for me. Atleast no on saturdays. This saturday I've got a christmas party at work and next saturday I'm going to a gettogether with a danish gaming community.

Both occasions involve lots and lots of alchohol :lol:
1up

Postby Moniker » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:39 pm

I'll be able to do either Sat or Sun; won't know which until tomorrow night (new gf and all that). I can do most week nights, but I gather that's not plausible for you Ghegs.. damned time zones.
Moniker

Postby deca » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:39 pm

I might actually be able to play this weekend if I'm not out of town looking at another 240SX or something :p
deca

Postby Moniker » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:23 am

Can't do saturday, but sunday's good.

Also, I just found the most awesome touge-style course. It's the dirt road leading to the bottom of the dam. I haven't unlocked the event for it yet, but it was one hell of a fun ride just free driving.

Spoiler: show
There's also a car barn on the way down ;)
Moniker

Postby 1up » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:55 am

Moniker wrote:Can't do saturday, but sunday's good.

Also, I just found the most awesome touge-style course. It's the dirt road leading to the bottom of the dam. I haven't unlocked the event for it yet, but it was one hell of a fun ride just free driving.

Spoiler: show
There's also a car barn on the way down ;)

I've driven that road. It's quite bumpy
1up

Postby Ghegs » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:30 am

Moniker wrote:Also, I just found the most awesome touge-style course. It's the dirt road leading to the bottom of the dam. I haven't unlocked the event for it yet, but it was one hell of a fun ride just free driving.

Now that you mention it, I don't think there is an event for that road, or at least I don't remember one. Maybe in a DLC pack? In any case, we could just hit Online Free Roam and go at it.

I like the Red Rock mountain road, but that's a pretty obvious one.
Ghegs

Postby 1up » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:54 pm

I've been playing for about 3 hours and have bought some cars and modified them a bit. Just now I went to the upgrade shop and chose 'Change Car' from the menu. I got an achievement and 8 cars for loyalty? Guess it's because I have a Forza 3 and 4 save.

Didn't know about it so it was a nice surprise 8-)
1up

Postby deca » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:17 pm

The other night my friend and I did the coolest thing we've done yet in Horizon. We'll likely be doing it more in the future and I'd recommend everyone else try it out.

The vast majority of our racing takes place on the Red Rock pass, which shouldn't come as a huge shock to anyone. We were in free roam and decided to devise a circuit that went around the top of the mountain and then looped around the highway ramps at the bottom to go back up.

However, it was after a bit of this that we developed our idea further. We realized there were outposts at the top and bottom of the pass...

So we drove to the Media Center outpost at the bottom of the mountain and switched to A class cars to run the hill climb. At the top we ran the main road circuit all the way around and then pulled into the outpost at the top, switched to C class cars and took off down the mountain as soon as it finished loading. We just ran like this for hours, high power up the hill and low power down. After a while we started calling out what the next class would be during the run, switching it up.

It's a LOT of fun just going and going without stopping, hitting the quick sort and picking a car as quickly as you can manage to get out of the outpost. I'd definitely like to do this with more people :)
deca

Postby Moniker » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:19 am

deca wrote:[cool multiplayer innovation]

Questions for the community:

-Do you generally keep cars at their default levels? I've got a relatively small stable (but lots of cash) of my favorites that I use to up- or downgrade in various events. Nothing gets by my Bentley. :D

-Also, is it just me or do AWD vehicles outclass the competition? The grip is just so much better, and you don't lose much speed by cutting corners in the dirt/grass.

-Finally, what difficulty assists do you use? I use normal steering, ABS, medium AI, and braking-only drive line (except in street races.. too much trouble figuring out a route on the fly). Everything else at default.
Moniker

Postby deca » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:21 am

I don't use any assists aside from not using manual clutch control, and I would if I had a wheel. I usually leave the difficulty on Hard.

As for tuning cars, I tend to tune one to where I want it and leave it. I don't like upgrading and downgrading things for events, half the time it tells me I need to upgrade to be competitive in an event I just don't, and still win anyway :p Generally if I need to up or downgrade a car just to enter an event I'll buy a new one and purpose build it.

I like leaving cars stock or doing very light tunes on them. I have one or two really over the top top cars but it was done with purpose, not just arbitrarily maxing out every car I own.

As for AWD dominating, I dunno about that. Personally I don't care for AWD handling at all, they tend to be heavy and understeer.

When are we gonna race anyway? :)
deca

Postby 1up » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:17 am

Moniker wrote:Questions for the community:

-Do you generally keep cars at their default levels? I've got a relatively small stable (but lots of cash) of my favorites that I use to up- or downgrade in various events. Nothing gets by my Bentley. :D

I've only bought 1 car, and that was a Ferrari 458 Spider. Everything else I've won and I use those and autoupgrade/downgrade for events. Have about 1,5million in the bank.

Moniker wrote:-Also, is it just me or do AWD vehicles outclass the competition? The grip is just so much better, and you don't lose much speed by cutting corners in the dirt/grass.

I've noticed this. I love cutting corners in this game. It's so foreign to me after playing sim-like racers for so long.

Moniker wrote:-Finally, what difficulty assists do you use? I use normal steering, ABS, medium AI, and braking-only drive line (except in street races.. too much trouble figuring out a route on the fly). Everything else at default.

Same for me.

I really enjoy those races against planes, helicopters and what not.
1up

Postby 1up » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:26 pm

12,5 houses later and I've completed everything in single player. But only 7/9 barn cars were revealed? Are the reveals time activated or how does it work?

Final Star showdown and final street race was awesome
1up

Postby Ghegs » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:32 pm

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/14/forza ... next-week/

Rally DLC next week. I'm sort of tempted.
Ghegs

Postby Moniker » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:20 am

Ran across this and thought it was worth posting:
http://kotaku.com/5953024/forza-horizio ... -simulator

I'm off to go and do just that. :D
Moniker

Postby osaka » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:01 pm

Moniker wrote:

I decided to do as deca did. My 65 Mini is a BEAST on the C class races :mrgreen: It took me some time to tweak the transmission tuning since the 4 gear manual had too long of a final ratio, so I decided to eliminate chassis reinforcements and put a full-racing, 6 gear sequential (the gear style doesn't actually matter, since I play with auto gears, but the gearchanges are faster)

Moniker wrote:-Also, is it just me or do AWD vehicles outclass the competition? The grip is just so much better, and you don't lose much speed by cutting corners in the dirt/grass.

Asides from the 65 mini and the dirt races, I only run with RWD cars: Ford GT, 2013 Viper GTS, Ferrari F40... On dirt races (and the VERY technical races, since the Viper has enough torque to change the rotation of the earth and it's ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to control on slow turns) I use the WRX Impreza I got as first car, since it has an absurdly fast acceleration and perfect handling once it's tuned to A or S class. But once there's a straight longer than 350m, it's no use against the Viper or the Diablo. I can tell tho, the 2013 Viper GTS has 10.0 handling and, unless it's a VERY slow turn because, as I said, the Viper has WAY too much torque to handle a flat-out acceleration after a hairpin.

Moniker wrote:-Finally, what difficulty assists do you use? I use normal steering, ABS, medium AI, and braking-only drive line (except in street races.. too much trouble figuring out a route on the fly). Everything else at default.

Default Hard, which comes with hard AI, normal steering and braking-only drive line, asides from auto gears. I changed to manual in one race with the Mini because it kept going back and forth between 2nd and 3rd making me lose a LOT of precious time.
osaka

Postby Ghegs » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:28 am

New DLC, it's coming out today and it's free.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/free-forza ... ek-6406935

The DLC features new challenges for every car in Forza Horizon. Some of these trials focus on speed, while others test players' driving skills and stunt abilities, like burnouts, drifting, catching air, smashing objects, or navigating through traffic at high speed.
Ghegs

Postby spectre » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:23 pm

Was playing this game a bit yesterday and still find it amazing. Love the soundtrack.

Trying to find those 2 last barn cars and had to resort to a map online to see where they were missing. 1 all the way south and 1 all the way north where the last race takes place. Apparantly you can't find the car till the announcer tells you about it. I drove south and tried to find barns and emidiately after I left the area she told me that there was a car around there somewhere.

Thought, ok, I will go north and do the same thing but couldn't trigger it... Saw that I had a message in the inbod. Said that Ghegs had beat a speedtrap of mine on august 12th 2017.

Guess I'm not the only one jumping back in :lol:

I don't have Xbox Live right now, but does anyone know if there's still people online playing this?
spectre

Postby Ghegs » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:41 pm

spectre wrote:Said that Ghegs had beat a speedtrap of mine on august 12th 2017.

Guess I'm not the only one jumping back in :lol:

I booted the game up yesterday in order to capture footage and take screenshots for RGDB, but that's all I'm planning to do with it. The speedtrap thing happened by accident on my way to an event. :)

I don't have Gold either, so I can't say whether people are still playing it.
Ghegs

Postby itsgood2slide » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:57 am

There was a free gold weekend not too long ago (possibly May) and there were enough people playing it for me to collect the online achievements for my first 1500/1500 completion.

There were even people playing the excellent rally expansion : D
itsgood2slide

PreviousNext

Return to Sim Racing