Driving Emotion Type-S

Gran Turismo, Forza, F1, iRacing, Assetto Corsa...

Driving Emotion Type-S

Postby Azu » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:00 am

Critically panned, widely considered awful and 'impossible to play' by many. This piece of work was made by Square (yes, the same Square that brought you Final Fantasy) in 2000

It touted 45 unique and highly detailed cockpit views for each available vehicle in the game, as well as a measly 9 race courses. Regardless, this game was very quickly overshadowed by Gran Turismo 3, and what attention it did receive, was almost always negative, mainly due to the excessively delayed and sensitive vehicle handling, which some considered having made the game unplayable.

In my opinion? If you give this game more than 30 minutes of your time, you'll find yourself having a blast. The soundtrack is phenomenal, the vehicle selection is fantastic, and the persistent rewards you receive upon winning each race creates an immensely satisfying gameplay experience. the controls? Well, you'll get used to them in no time if you give them a proper a chance. (which apparently not many people did!)

In reality, the game isn't that hard at all. You'll only really struggle with the first two races as you're paired with much faster and better vehicles, but you'll quickly find that this isn't much of a problem at all, given that after a race or two, you will already have a significantly better car than the competition.

Really, this game is an underrated gem which can be completed within less than a day. It's straight up fun once you're used to the controls. My only real complaint is that Autocross 3 is virtually impossible to beat, leaving me so close to 100%, but so far. However, that's not even part of the campaign, so most people probably won't even pay attention to it. You should have no trouble finding this game dirt cheap nowadays, so I'd highly recommend picking it up!

Has anybody else here played it? I'm genuinely curious!
Spoiler: show
Also, wanting to know if anybody has managed to beat Autocross 3, because oh my god, it's killing me. Please help!
Azu

Re: Driving Emotion Type-S

Postby itsgood2slide » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:27 pm

I was wondering whether this was any good just the other day when some footage of the Bouncer reminded me of its existence...

£2 on ebay let's do it!
itsgood2slide

Postby itsgood2slide » Tue May 10, 2016 6:26 pm

Argh it uses the PS2's analogue buttons. My thumbs will be sore if I get stuck into this. Might need to unearth a wheel or a PS1 dualshock...
itsgood2slide

Postby Ghegs » Tue May 10, 2016 7:27 pm

Oh yeah, that's a pain. It feels like you have to ram your thumb through the controller to get 100% out of it. Nothing in the options to configure it to more tolerable levels?
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby d123456 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:43 am

This game is so forgetable.
I once bought it and then immediately sold it, because it was that bad.
Then a few weeks later I bought it again, I had toally forgot that I had already had it and played it. Face palm indeed.

The reason I don't like games like this that have weird steering is that it messes with my mind.
It ends up altering the way I play racing games, so it messes me up when I play normal racing games.

Games that do this:
Driving Emotion Type-S
Auto modellista
Touge 3 (ps2)
Initial D (ps2 and ps3)

I want to like these games, but they mess with my skills for normal games. I understand that I can get used to them. Does this happen to you guys too? Thanks to the op of this thread to tell people to give this game another chance though.
d123456

Return to Sim Racing