Project C.A.R.S.

Gran Turismo, Forza, F1, iRacing, Assetto Corsa...

Project C.A.R.S.

Postby n1ghtsn1p3r » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:08 am

http://www.wmdportal.com/projects/cars/

Project Community Assisted Racing Simulator. It's still in Alpha, but you can buy a membership package and be able to play it and give the team feedback. It's being made by Slightly Mad Studios, who are the same guys who made Need for Speed: Shift and Shift 2: Unleashed.

I'll admit that I haven't had a chance to play it much, since I only recently got an Internet connection again, but I have enjoyed what I have played so far. I bought the Full Member package sometime in March 2012

Here's a screenshot I made a few builds ago (I haven't tried the most recent one yet)

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/8350 ... 192470.jpg

Car: Pagani Huayra
Track: Road America (called "Wisconsin Raceway" for licensing reasons)
Build: 267

There's still about a year left in development, but it's kind of fun being able to track it's development progress and play the alpha builds.
n1ghtsn1p3r

Re: Project C.A.R.S.

Postby Ruldra » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:34 pm

I'm very skeptical of Slightly Mad Studios after seeing what they did in Shift, Shift 2 and their newest release, Ferrari Racing Legends.

I own Shift 1 and, while it's a good game, the physics are way, way off. The cars feel like driving on ice, they slide far too much. You can't do a single turn without hearing the tyres screeching even at low speeds, which is very unrealistic. There's also input lag and built-in driving assists you can't turn off.

All of the above carried over to Shift 2 and Ferrari Racing Legends. It's the same flawed physics engine present in all three games and I see no reason Project Cars will not have it as well.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of the car
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall
Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Ruldra

Postby n1ghtsn1p3r » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:56 am

Even with tuning? From what I can find, the "icy" feel can be minimized with a few settings tweaks and dropping the tire pressures.

I haven't messed with tuning/upgrading yet on Shift 2 (I also have Shift 1, but it's not installed), plus I haven't had either one for very long anyway (bought them during the Steam Summer Sale).

I wonder if it had anything to do with EA and Atari being the publishers, since they don't have publishers on their backs nagging them about stuff.

With the way they are doing pCARS, they are using community involvement and feedback from the start, which helps with issues like this. Plus, from what I'm finding, people are saying that the physics are already much better than Shift's.
n1ghtsn1p3r

Postby Ruldra » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:53 pm

n1ghtsn1p3r wrote:I wonder if it had anything to do with EA and Atari being the publishers, since they don't have publishers on their backs nagging them about stuff.

From what I've heard, while EA did interfere with the production of the Shift series to make it less sim, they had a lot more freedom to make Ferrari Racing Legends and the physics are still borked.

In any case, let's hope thay get it right with Project Cars.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of the car
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall
Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Ruldra

Postby Thunderer » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:49 pm

Guess, guess.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... oject-cars

Time to $camco to stealthly adding microtransactions and stupid fuel system left and right, I suppose.
Rest in peace Ridge Racer franchise, 1993-2012. Never forget, never forgive.
Thunderer

Return to Sim Racing