Forza Horizon

Gran Turismo, Forza, F1, iRacing, Assetto Corsa...

Forza Horizon

Postby Ghegs » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:00 am

The game's demo will be out next week. For Gold members anyway, Silver accounts get it the week after.

Really looking forward to testing this out. I've only played the demos of some of the earlier Forzas.
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Re: Forza Horizon

Postby deca » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:36 pm

I'm REALLY excited about Horizon, anxious to get my hands on the demo. As long as the demo confirms my expectations I plan to go preorder the LE immediately.
deca

Postby lilmanjs » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:44 pm

that trailer is so boring. the music is repetitive and the game just looks like an NFS clone.
lilmanjs

Postby Ghegs » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:46 pm

The demo's out!

A couple of events and cars to play. Not much, but should give a decent understanding of what's the game about. And I'm actually pleasantly surprised, I played it with arcade-like settings and driving feels a little bit like in the new Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit. Which I'm quite fine with. Horizon's handling is still more demanding, but it's not as sim-like as I expected. There are, however, plenty of settings to make the handling be just what the player wants it to be, so I think both camps could be pretty happy here.

The open-world thing seems pretty cool too. Again, I was reminded of Hot Pursuit - only instead of picking the events from the Seacrest Country map, you actually have to drive to them. There was mention of being able to return to already completed events from a menu, but either I missed it or it wasn't implemented in the demo. Also, there was no multiplayer so we can't test it out. It did track times from other players and at the end of events it would show how far my time was from the next guy and would ask me if I wanted to replay the event and challenge them.

Only thing that I wasn't prepared for was how the demo set its language based on my IP - so everything (voices excluded) were in Finnish. Very confusing, I'm not used to associating the language with games at all. Hopefully it can be set to whatever the player wants in the full game.

Overall, I was left with good feelings and will probably pick up the game sooner or later. I just have to worry about the game's regionlocking, since I'm using a JPN 360 and all the previous Forzas have been strictly regionlocked to their publishing region, so I might have to get the Asian/Japan release...
Ghegs

Postby deca » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:30 pm

Happy to hear you're enjoying it! I won't be able to give it a try until I get home from work, I'm looking forward to it :)
deca

Postby 1up » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:26 am

Forza Horizon is getting REALLY good reviews from everyone. Might have to get it anyway :lol:

IGN- 9.0/10

Gamespot- 8.5/10

Giant Bomb- 5/5

Polygon- 6/10

Xboxer360- (9.4/10)

Gamesradar- 4/5

Destructoid- 9/10

VGRevolution- 8.4/10

VentureBeat- 8.3/10

Aussie-Gamer - 5/5

Eurogamer- 9/10

IBTimes- 9/10

Pocket-Lint - 4/5

Gaming Examiner- 9.5/10

Atomicgamer- 9/10
1up

Postby 1up » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:13 pm

Played the demo today. Wow, the graphics in this game is amazing. Looks like it has a variety of races and the 3 different cars you get to race handle very differently. Love the rival/friends tracking autolog thing, and I was able to race both Ghegs' and Deca's ghost times 8-)

After a race you get an option to race a ghost on your friends list, probably the one closest to your time. When accepting it goes into time attack mode with no opponents besides the ghost car. Really cool.

Love the handling of the cars. Little hard to get used to the offroad handling right after playing DiRT 3 though.
1up

Postby deca » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:50 pm

Something to make sure you check out in the demo, there's a really cool little secret hidden in the third race.

Once you finish the race, go into a rivals challenge so there's no race timer to worry about. There are a number of areas where you can turn off the main route and explore a bit. Most won't let you go too far out of the way before returning you to the track, or are small parking areas offering really pretty views. However, there is one big one hidden right at the end of the race.

I believe it's about 97% in, just before the finish line. Look for a small dirt road coming off the left side of the track. If you drive onto it you'll be lead along a neat downhill run all the way down to what seems to be one of the barn find locations and a long tunnel. If you go through the tunnel you come out right on the bottom of the dam. Very, very cool that they put these sort of things in the game, it's going to make exploring a lot of fun. I spent a while trying to drift around the dam base, it's cool with those little jumps to the center platform :)
deca

Postby Ghegs » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:01 pm

DLC announced: Rally Expansion Pack for 1600 MS points.

This actually makes me think I should wait until there's a Complete Edition released with all the DLC included. Well, we'll see.
Ghegs

Postby deca » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:18 pm

You'd probably be waiting an awful long time for that if they even do it, it wouldn't be worth it to me. Half the fun is getting in while the hype is up. I wish they'd announce some of the DLC car packs so I can see what kind of stuff they're releasing and decide if the Season Pass is something I'm interested in.

Either way it looks like there's a hell of a lot of game there even without the expansion. I'm curious how the rally pack will work exactly.
deca

Postby 1up » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:40 am

If they do the same DLC release plan as Forza4, there will be new packs each month.
I'm out of cash right now and my backlog is almost empty, only 7 games to go, so I plan to pick this up early next year.

All the reviews and the demo has me really hyped.
1up

Postby deca » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:15 pm

So I've been playing the hell out of this game and it's pretty much everything I'd hoped it would be. I've been having way too much fun just doing custom paintjobs haha. The night it came out my buddy and I played online in free roam and just cruised the countryside for hours without doing a single actual race and we had an absolute blast.

So yeah if you have any questions about the game ask away, I'm loving it :D
deca

Postby Moniker » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:29 pm

A few Qs:

How are the actual courses and overall map? One problem I have with open-world racers is that coming to grips with the tracks is really difficult, since there's too much to take in, and too few landmarks to memorize layouts. I'm only just now starting to recognize individual courses in NFS: Hot Pursuit, and that's not even open world.

Are there still lap-based events, or is it all touge style?

How does the UI handle garages and the like? Ie, do you need to drive to a depot to change out your car and do upgrades, or is there a use-anywhere menu for it? My dream game would be one where you have all the functionality of a menu-based racer with the option to manually drive everywhere if you want. But I know you can't warp to events; that's the main reason I picked up 4 instead of Horizon earlier.
Moniker

Postby deca » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:42 pm

The map is probably my favorite of any open world driving game I've played. I grew up out in the country so the types of landscapes are familiar in addition to being extremely pretty. There's a good variety of scenery and types of roads, and just cruising around is plenty enjoyable. Exploration is satisfying and rewarding, though I wouldn't mind a little more freedom to explore off road in the vehicles that are better equipped to do so.

I've had similar issues regarding racing routes in open world games, and I was slightly concerned about that going in. However, while you're in an actual race or hotlap mode the routes are very well defined and honestly feel like something out of a traditional racing game. If you've played MSR or any of the PGR titles you'll find that the tracks have a similar feel to them (no coincidence given the dev team). Despite not really being free roam, the tracks in those games were actually routes through the roads of each city. Certain layouts reused sections from other tracks and you'd see a lot of familiar roads. I seem to remember MSR actually offering an unlockable free roam in each of the cities. Anyway, my point is that the layouts feel a lot more like actual tracks and not the mishmash of roads or vague routes you get in something like NFSU2 or Burnout Paradise.

There are lap-based races, so far I'd say it's been an even split. There's a good variety of circuits as well. I've had some on higher speed open roads, as well as very small technical tracks inside cities. One of the hot-lap events this month is actually a small circuit in an old steel mill, that one plays out like a tarmac rallycross and is a lot of fun.

One feature I'm digging is the implementation of Shutokou Battle/Tokyo Xtreme Racer style races. There are a fair amount of other festival drivers cruising around here and there and if you drive up behind them you can challenge them to a race on the spot. It doesn't use the health bar system, but rather randomly generates a route to a goal from your current location. It's pretty cool. It would have been neat to see something like the health bar or "get XXXm ahead to win" with the car in front determining the route, but I think they were going for a system where alternative routes and shortcuts could be explored. Either way, what's there works and is enjoyable.

There is no instant menu functionality for things like customizing, painting, or changing your car. You can fast travel to the main festival hub whenever you like and there are areas you pull into to do different things, the main grounds of the festival basically serves as the games menu. However, there are 10 outposts you can find all around the map, and from these you can change, paint, and maybe customize cars. To be honest I have not yet fully explored what you can do at the outposts, I only noticed the additional options there late last night. I'd just been using them to change or repair my car haha.

When you discover a new outpost you can fast-travel to it for a price. I believe they're all the same at 10,000 credits. Seems pricier than it's worth, but there is a pretty cool way to reduce the cost. Each outpost has 3 PR stunts, these are events that put you in a particular car (usually a very nice, expensive one) and give you a few minutes to complete a given goal. One will be to beat a certain speed at a nearby speed camera, another will be to take a photo of the car with some notable landmark in the background (I thought these were really cool), and the last will be to get a particular number of Kudos (I know they stopped calling them that but that doesn't mean I have to :P). This may differ at some of the outposts as I've only looked at the PR challenges for 2 of them, but I believe they all follow that structure. Anyway, each one you successfully complete reduces the cost to fast travel to that location and once you've done all three you can warp there for free.

Events from Race Central such as the monthly hot-lap challenge I mentioned earlier are started from the festival grounds, you don't need to drive out to them.

Really the fast travel thing hasn't been an issue for me at all, and I'm happy they don't let you just warp wherever you want to. This is a game about enjoying driving around, not constantly grinding through races as fast as you can. I've spent way more time cruising and having fun, even offline by myself, than I have in actual events.
deca

Postby Ghegs » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:49 am

Well, thanks to deca's write-up, my disappointment with Most Wanted and that I found the LE for SE's price, I went and purchased Horizon. I'll be joining you shortly. ;)
Ghegs

Postby deca » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:55 pm

Excellent! Looking forward to seeing you online :)
deca

Postby Ghegs » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:31 pm

Alright, I've played the game around ten hours now.

It's so good. I really, really like the open-world environment here. I spent the first four hours of my playtime just driving around, seeing the sights, hitting the discount signs and taking care of the Outpost events for free fast travel. I only started doing the main events after all that, I was having so much fun just driving casually. It's so much better than MW in this regard, there are no cops getting in the way (and it makes sense given the festival theme), there isn't as much civilian traffic (but just enough to keep you on your toes). When you crash in free roam, there are no consequences like with MW, but you aren't forced to watch a 10-second movie of your car crashing before respawning. More user-friendly that way. The best testament to how good the game's open world is, is that even though I have free fast travelling everywhere, I still like to drive to each event myself.

The events themselves are pretty good as well. I really like how the game straddles between being a traditional racing game and an open-world racing game; some events are on closed tracks and some on public roads with civilian traffic. I was really happy to see the street racing hubs, it brings a good variety to the game without over-saturating it. There's a lot to do and I actually want to do it all.

Tried the multiplayer just now, and it's pretty sweet as well. Went to do free roam in multiplayer for a while, and I was happy to notice the host can put goals on the map that everybody else in the same room can see, so it's easy to do impromptu races wherever. Would be even nicer if there would be an "official" race mode there, so the game keeps tracks of everybody's times, but it's pretty good as it is. I really wanna do some of the co-op challenges as well. And to have everybody driving a car from Initial D and attacking the Red Rock touge.

Did some traditional multiplayer racing as well, and that was fun too. Won a few cars while at it as well. I really hope we can get a Rolling Start car club going there :D

...I'm not actually sure what the point of the car clubs are in the game. deca, can you elaborate on those?

Oh yeah, and I took this photo with the in-game camera. That's a pretty cool feature.
Ghegs

Postby Ghegs » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:37 am

Made and created the Rolling Start car club in the game - tag RlSr. All the tags I tried out first (RS, RoSt, RlSt, RSta, RolS, etc...) were already taken, so RlSr it is.
Ghegs

Postby Moniker » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:42 am

Damn you two with your peer pressure. Now I'll have to spend perfectly good scotch money on this game. :P
Moniker

Postby deca » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:35 am

Man I typed up a nice long reply but it got devoured because my friends ipad decided to shut down right as I tried to post it :( Had nice pictures in it and everything, I guess I'll just repost those haha.

http://forzamotorsport.net/Handlers/Get ... &full=true
First shot I took in game, day one. I've put a lot more time into that paintjob and added some stuff since then.

First picture I took for the mini photo competition they had with the release of the dlc, they just asked you to send a photo of your favorite car from the pack.

And this was the one I ended up going with. I think it was pretty rad but I didn't end up winning anything, oh well :p

I'm already in a car club with a friend of mine, but we're the only ones in it. I'll see what he thinks about it because I don't want to just ditch him. As for the tag, had you considered [AM2]? ;)
deca

Postby 1up » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:09 am

This month I got Under Defeat HD and Black Ops II, so I will be getting this game in the month of december.
1up

Postby Ghegs » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:14 pm

deca wrote:I'm already in a car club with a friend of mine, but we're the only ones in it. I'll see what he thinks about it because I don't want to just ditch him. As for the tag, had you considered [AM2]? ;)

I did not consider AM2, that's a good idea. I would guess it's already taken though. I want to check, but there doesn't seem to any way to check available club tags or browse taken ones now that I'm already in a club. Since I'm still the only members in RlSr I could just quit it and check, but I'm not sure how the system works...will it also delete the club itself (and allow me to re-create it afterwards) or will it stay behind in its member-less state and render the tag unusable for anybody? Probably not, but still.

I tried checking it with another 360 account, but Live Gold is needed to even access the Car Club so that didn't work.

But hey, if you two want to join forces, that'd be great! You could also try creating AM2 and see if it works and I can join you guys there.
Ghegs

Postby deca » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:36 pm

Yeah I think it'll just disband if you leave the club an noone else is in it, which means certain tags could become free down the line as well.

I unfortunately don't think I'll be able to put much time in this week. I'm headed out of town on Thursday and Battle Garegga is the game of the week for Traps tournament over at shmups...a personal favorite of mine so I want to do all I can to make a decent showing!
deca

Postby deca » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:25 pm

Apparently Walmart will be selling Horizon for $15 on black Friday!
deca

Postby Moniker » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:27 pm

deca wrote:Apparently Walmart will be selling Horizon for $15 on black Friday!

Awesomesauce. Be joinin' you guys next week, then.
Moniker

Postby Ghegs » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:35 pm

I'm done with the single player portion, it took me around 18 hours to 100% it. For the most part it was a very enjoyable experience, of course some of the events took place on the same tracks so there was some repetition, but it wasn't unbearable.

Not much to add to my earlier long post. I like how I sometimes see AI cars racing against each other in the open world, that's a cool little detail. Darius Flynt and other "big name" opponents were ultimately pretty pointless, I don't even remember the other guys' names anymore. They didn't really have any character, they were just "Yo, I'ma gonna win, you suck" -trash talking generators.

It's kind of odd how the game tries to appeal to both the arcade- and sim-racing crowd, but does the arcade part sort of half-assed. It encourages drifting by rewarding you with fame points for it, but it's useless for actually going fast. At least I think so, sometimes for some corners it feels like if I get the drifting just right, I actually lose less speed than with grip. Not entirely sure.

Still want to do some multiplayer free roam, at least. Maybe some time attack if I can remember (or am recommended) a fun event. And online racing with you guys, of course. ;)
Ghegs

Postby victoly » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:53 am

deca wrote:Apparently Walmart will be selling Horizon for $15 on black Friday!

Anyone know if the US version will run on a JP 360?
victoly

Postby Moniker » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:46 am

Ghegs wrote:It's kind of odd how the game tries to appeal to both the arcade- and sim-racing crowd, but does the arcade part sort of half-assed. It encourages drifting by rewarding you with fame points for it, but it's useless for actually going fast. At least I think so, sometimes for some corners it feels like if I get the drifting just right, I actually lose less speed than with grip. Not entirely sure.

Not entirely sure, either, but I think in Forza 4, there were moments when drifting was the optimal way to take a turn, depending mostly on the car and the severity of the corner. I recently completely iced the competition on an event by drifting around a 90 degree turn with a BMW. No idea if this is the optimal strategy for true competitive play, though.
Moniker

Postby Moniker » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:34 am

Welp, Forza Horizon is ordered and on the way. See you guys trackside. ;)

BTW, what does AM2 stand for?
Moniker

Postby Ghegs » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:18 am

AM2 is the name of Sega's R&D team responsible for most of the company's arcade classics, including Out Run and its many sequels, Daytona USA, Virtua Racing, Ferrari F355 Challenge, etc...
Ghegs

Next

Return to Sim Racing