BallisticNG - PSX Wipeout Clone

F-Zero, Wipeout, Extreme-G, FAST Racing, BallisticNG...

BallisticNG - PSX Wipeout Clone

Postby Vonsnake » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:24 am

Hey everyone! Little over a year ago now I posted on these forums about a game project I was working on called AGR2280, later in April I had stopped that project to begin working on what is now BallisticNG.

BallisticNG is a clone of the older Wipeout games, it's completely free and also open source. I'm getting ready to release the biggest update yet hopefully in the next few days so I thought this would be a good time to post, myself and Xpand (the project lead and 3D artist for SlipstreamGX if any of you know him) are finishing up some tracks so it shouldn't be too long.

If you'd like to try a previous version, a backlog of versions can be found here - https://github.com/bigsnake09/BallisticNG/releases.

So for content and features, there are 13 ships that you can pilot and as of 0.2 there will be 11 tracks to pilot on. The planned tracks are 16 original tracks (8 regular tracks and 8 prototype tracks) and 7 tracks remade from various Wipeout games. Also as of 0.2 you will be able to import Wipeout 1, 2097 and 3 ships. This is done by reading the original files which you have to provide yourself.

The game right now has 3 game modes; arcade, time trial and survival. Only time trial is available in the current builds, the next version is going to have arcade and survival. Arcade is just your usual Wipeout styled racing with weapons and survival is Zone mode.

The game is also going to have a ship and track editor. The hard part of the ship editor is done (reading files and a basic 3D editor), I'm expecting some sub-version of 0.2 or 0.3 to have it integrated.

If you try it let me know what you think! I also have a playlist on my YouTube channel where I upload videos very regularly if you want to follow development progress - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLv6nbJSpAgO1QCVD1qfPNTetUQhCMiWCV
Vonsnake

Re: BallisticNG - PSX Wipeout Clone

Postby Ghegs » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:15 pm

The project appears to be well on the way, the videos look quite good.

Vonsnake wrote:Also as of 0.2 you will be able to import Wipeout 1, 2097 and 3 ships. This is done by reading the original files which you have to provide yourself.

Now that's pretty interesting. Is it enough to have just have the original game discs (or ripped to ISO?) and the game takes the necessary information directly from those, or will more be required? Will it work with a disc from any region?

And both ship and track editors? Quite ambitious. Will there be some sort of balance checks in place for the ship editor, or are people free to make their custom crafts as overpowered as possible?
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby Vonsnake » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:33 pm

Ghegs wrote:
Vonsnake wrote:Also as of 0.2 you will be able to import Wipeout 1, 2097 and 3 ships. This is done by reading the original files which you have to provide yourself.

Now that's pretty interesting. Is it enough to have just have the original game discs (or ripped to ISO?) and the game takes the necessary information directly from those, or will more be required? Will it work with a disc from any region?

There is a bit more required then having the discs, it's not much though. You just need to copy some files off into a specific folder that the game will then read them from, there's going to be a readme included that explains everything. It will work work with all regions, the PS1 and PC versions of both Wipeout 1 and 2097 have the files for the ships out in the open so you can use either of those too.

Ghegs wrote:And both ship and track editors? Quite ambitious. Will there be some sort of balance checks in place for the ship editor, or are people free to make their custom crafts as overpowered as possible?

People will be free to make their ships as overpowered as they want, I'm giving access to most of the variables I adjust for the ship stats so it will be pretty customizable. You won't be able to save best times and unlock anything (in the future) with them though. I'm also working on multiplayer, I want to implement custom ships into that but I'll make a points based system for that so everything stays balanced.
Vonsnake

Postby osaka » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:41 pm

Ok so quick note I want to make here: Either Unity, the unity launcher or your game doesn't like the Xbox One pad. Or at least rebinding anything with it. And since there isn't a "return to defaults" setting in the launcher and the in-game input options don't work, I can't play the 0.2 version :cry:
osaka

Postby Vonsnake » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:11 pm

Somebody else has had issues with an Xbox One controller, there's also been some general issues with controllers causing the ship to always turn right. I'm not really sure what the problem is, it's definitely a problem with Unity though as I've had previous versions of the game running on different versions of Unity with the exact same input setup without any issues. Unfortunately as of right now I don't think there is a fix as far as Unity's default input manager is concerned. I've done tests on multiple machines with a 360, DS4 (DS4Windows) and DS2 (connected through a rockfire) and I haven't ran into any issues so it's very conditional.

To reset the launcher settings to the defaults you can delete the game's registry keys, if you open up regedit and delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Vonsnake/BallisticNG the launcher will reset to it's default settings next time you launch.
Vonsnake

Postby AkumajoBelmont » Sun May 29, 2016 1:26 am

This is pretty much the anit-grav racer that I'm looking forward to the most.

It's as close to WipEout as anything has gotten before - so much so, that my muscle memory from the first 3 WipEout games transfers over into Ballistic NG. I stumbled across the game a couple of weeks ago, and I've been playing it regularly since.

The track designs are brilliant so far - clever and easy to memorize, but hard to master... exactly what a WipEout course should aim for. The music selection is straight WipEout/2097/3:SE style too - I really can't believe how much the music evokes that particular WipEout nostalgia for me... the style is right on the money.

The controls are insaaaaanely good. There are a couple courses that have an embankment or two that I personally find a little problematic (a larger hill in the fourth course, and a small section toward the end of the fifth course), but even these 'faults' are pretty much in keeping with WipEout, which had a couple of these sections in the first and second games. Though it would be nice for these sections to be polished up a little.

The graphics on track look a mix of 2097 and Wip3out/SE - which is to say bang on. A little more flair in the visual design department when it comes to track-side icons and billboards, and this will be indistinguishable from the first 3 titles. The menus could do with a bit of love too, but with the strides made in the gameplay seemingly flying thick and fast, this is an area I'm very much happy to let slide until the game is fully fleshed out.

The track import feature has me excited for the future, as this could very easily end up containing the entire glut of the original trilogy's courses. As stuff like this already exists in another from already (the WipEout model viewer: http://phoboslab.org/wipeout/ ), it bodes well.

I can't stress enough how this game is the exact WipEout I've been waiting for since the completion of the first 3 1/2 games. I love it :)

EDIT: Here's a little gameplay vid I knocked up of a few runs on a few courses. Amazing game... vonsnake - you absolutely get it :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wbls_uh0vw
AkumajoBelmont

Postby Thunderer » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:40 am

Rest in peace Ridge Racer franchise, 1993-2012. Never forget, never forgive.
Thunderer

Postby AkumajoBelmont » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:26 am

Thunderer wrote:Out now on Steam
http://store.steampowered.com/app/473770/

Downloaded it this morning :)

Now, the wait for the original courses to be imported into the game. Can't wait to see what courses and ships people create!
AkumajoBelmont

Postby Ghegs » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:41 am

Oh nice, I'll get on that right after I get home.

I wonder if it's possible to make point-to-point tracks? One of my least favorite things in the Wipeout games is that tracks tend to be a bit on the short side, with laptimes at around 20 second not being uncommon. It'd be sweet to find/play/create a good point-to-point track that would take 2-3 minutes to finish.
Ghegs

Postby AkumajoBelmont » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:23 am

Ghegs wrote:Oh nice, I'll get on that right after I get home.

I wonder if it's possible to make point-to-point tracks? One of my least favorite things in the Wipeout games is that tracks tend to be a bit on the short side, with laptimes at around 20 second not being uncommon. It'd be sweet to find/play/create a good point-to-point track that would take 2-3 minutes to finish.

They were talking about it in the WipEoutZone forums that I was skimming over - as far as I can tell, it's possible to do that. Would be awesome if there were rally-ish kinda stuff like Downhill and Hillclimb's, haha.
AkumajoBelmont

Postby Ghegs » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:57 pm

Pretty awesome, I must say. Big props for being able to set the controller's deadzones to such degree.

Season One was pretty easy, but Season Two skips the second difficulty (Apex) and jumps straight to the third (Halberd), that was kind of a speedshock.

I'm liking the Tenrai ship at the moment...bit more maneuverable than the Nexus, though slightly slower too. Both are time attacker's ships, unsurprisingly.
Ghegs

Postby Ghegs » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:04 am

Made it through Season Two and unlocked Time Trial in the process, nice.

Wasn't as tough as thought it to be, though Ishtar Citadel gave me some troubles, mostly because there's no environment to the course yet so it's just a track hovering in pitch-black. But it's still a WIP course, so. I do think the AI lets off the accelerator a bit in the later laps.

And I'm playing with weapons off 'cause that's how I roll.
Ghegs

Postby AkumajoBelmont » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:28 am

Ghegs wrote:Made it through Season Two and unlocked Time Trial in the process, nice.

Wasn't as tough as thought it to be, though Ishtar Citadel gave me some troubles, mostly because there's no environment to the course yet so it's just a track hovering in pitch-black. But it's still a WIP course, so. I do think the AI lets off the accelerator a bit in the later laps.

And I'm playing with weapons off 'cause that's how I roll.

Yeah, I'm glad the first two seasons are doable - season 3 is haaaard. I struggle on anything above Halberd at the moment. It's difficult being older - I swear my reflexes can't keep up with the game. And yeah, that's the WipEout AI, haha - first lap they leave you in the dust... you tend to use subsequent laps to catch them, haha. I've just put it Weapons Free myself... as much as I like them on occasion, I prefer the racing :)
AkumajoBelmont

Postby Ghegs » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:58 pm

Heh, I guess the dev agreed since the new 0.4.5 update dials back the seasons a notch. Season Two is now Apex and Season Three Halberd.
Ghegs

Postby Ghegs » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:39 pm

0.5 update is out and brings out a lot of new stuff. Most importantly a multiplayer mode (if you opt for the unstable beta branch in Steam) and a track editor.

Should we have a BallisticNG competition here in the forums? Who's interested?
Ghegs

Postby Vonsnake » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:21 pm

Hey! It's been quite a while since my last visit here, I'm coming with some exciting news for modders.

If you haven't been following the game much then the next update (0.7) is going to be introducing custom tracks. The game has had a track creator for creating and testing layouts since 0.6 but you can now take tracks from that, build scenery and whatever else you want to do and then get it fully functional inside of the game. In the future we want to extend this to multiplayer too so you can play your tracks with other people.

We're currently looking for people who would have an interest in creating custom tracks to come in and use the tools early. We'd love to get feedback on the tools and workflow in general, it's also an opportunity to be one of the first few people to upload a custom track to the Steam Workshop. We will only be accepting in a small amount of people, but those people will be given access to a parallel branch of the game that gets updated with our development branch for free. When 0.7 is released we'll then give you the code for the development branch, which you normally get access to by donating $1/month on our Patreon.

Let me know if you'd be interested in joining that, we're closing the offer on March 31st. If you're chosen then we'll send you a PM with the password for the branch and instructions on how you can get started and anything else you need to know.

Thanks!
Vonsnake

Postby osaka » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:13 am

I'd be interested actually, always liked level design for racing games so I'd love to test this tool.
osaka

Postby Vonsnake » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:23 am

You're the same Osaka that's in our Discord right? Because since you're pledging on Patreon you actually have access to the tools already :)
Vonsnake

Postby osaka » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:29 am

No that has to be a different osaka because I sadly don't have the money to be a patron, and I'm not in your discord either.
osaka

Postby Ghegs » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:07 am

Vonsnake: I'm curious - is to possible to create point-to-point courses in your track editor?

I know I missed the cut-off point for participating in the branch already, but the question remains.
Ghegs

Postby Vonsnake » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:28 pm

osaka wrote:No that has to be a different osaka because I sadly don't have the money to be a patron, and I'm not in your discord either.

Gotcha, I just sent you a PM with all the information you need about getting access to the beta and documentation.

Ghegs wrote:Vonsnake: I'm curious - is to possible to create point-to-point courses in your track editor?

I know I missed the cut-off point for participating in the branch already, but the question remains.

Not yet though point-point tracks are something that have come up in the past and are planned to be implemented at some stage. What's likely going to happen is the two checkpoint lasers you see around the tracks will be used to define the points, they're already used as the start line and a lap validator so they can be reused for this purpose.
Vonsnake

Postby osaka » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:15 pm

I assume I'll be able to see this when I get to it but just so I know, is it possible to set more than 2 checkpoints (start/Finish and middle point) in a track? For lap tracking purposes more than anything.
osaka

Return to Futuristic racers