Slipstream GX

F-Zero, Wipeout, Extreme-G, FAST Racing, BallisticNG...

Slipstream GX

Postby Thunderer » Thu May 23, 2013 12:01 pm

A sorta-spritual successor of Wipeout, an alpha demo can be downloaded from their site.

Looks promising, I might add. They've managed to properly bring Wipeout vibe there.

http://www.slipstreamgx.com/
Rest in peace Ridge Racer franchise, 1993-2012. Never forget, never forgive.
Thunderer

Re: Slipstream GX

Postby Ghegs » Thu May 23, 2013 2:58 pm

Oh wow, thanks for linking that. I had heard of the project but didn't realize it was this far along. I downloaded the beta and had a blast, great sense of speed and I loved the announcer, so engrishy it's delicious. Works great with my 360 pad, though naturally I wonder if I could get it work with my neGcon...

Very fun game even at this stage, I'm impressed.
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby Ghegs » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:19 pm

I just noticed that a new demo was released just a few weeks ago. Many more ships, one more track, different game modes, AI, and plenty more are now available. The game's definitely starting to shape up very well.
Ghegs

Postby Ghegs » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:09 pm

The game's website has been heavily revamped, and the devs commented that the next public beta will be out within this summer. Awesome!
Ghegs

Postby Thunderer » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:21 am

Rest in peace Ridge Racer franchise, 1993-2012. Never forget, never forgive.
Thunderer

Postby osaka » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:16 am

*Bump*

Well, it's not 100% ded but it's on life support. Still, the creators keep working on it on their spare time if they can. Rewriting the entire thing surely can't help.

Still, they pushed a basic "Wipeout 20 anniversary" build with the 4 teams of Wipeout (FEISAR, Auricom, AG-Sys and Qirex), vehicles all rusty like they've been sitting on a hangar for 132 years probably for IP purposes, and the good old Korodera track. It's in this forum post:
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?7584-(SSGX-Origins)-Let-s-make-a-Wipeout-game!-This-time-for-real!&p=245460#post245460
osaka

Postby Ghegs » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:39 pm

Well that's a shame. Hopefully they can salvage the project eventually. And at least we still have those early builds to play. I've never had any problems with those, seemed stable 'n everything.

I tried the Anniversary build out but it actually crashed on me the first time I was playing. Managed to complete a race on my second go at least.
Ghegs

Postby osaka » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:11 am

Apparently the reason behind the rewrite was more about performance.

There's more info on the actual state of the project in this facebook post:
https://www.facebook.com/SlipStreamGX/p ... 2760495997

The thing is, the game will be finished. Just... not soon, quite probably.
osaka

Postby Ghegs » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:43 am

Thanks for that, I discovered that one of the programmers on SSGX is working on an AG racing game of their own as well, called BallisticNG. Also, it seems the AGR2280 guy has ended that project and is now contributing to BallisticNG as well.

It's still in the very early stages, but the 0.1 build available has 13 ships and 4 tracks to play around with, though they're at varying degrees of completion. I do think it's quite cool that they're including remade Wipeout tracks as well. Though hopefully that won't catch the evil eye of Sony's lawyers...
Ghegs

Postby osaka » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:07 pm

Oh yeah, BallisticNG. Since it's a project from the dude that made AGR2280 and he made the AGR2280 thread I thought he hadn't posted that because he wanted to keep it for wipeout zone. I've done a little bit of testing, it's pretty nice. Apparently he wants to add a track editor too so as soon as that drops I'm rebuilding ManorTop. Probably will have to find a different name for it, but that's the lesser of my problems. The bigger one is wall collisions and how they can demolish the Tenrian ship in like 2 hits xD
osaka

Postby Vonsnake » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:37 pm

Bumping :)

Like already mentioned here and on the facebook post, the game is currently being rewritten from Javascript to C# which is going to take a while, especially since the programmer is very busy at the moment. Reason as far as I know is because of performance (c# is faster then js) and just in general the codebase is a complete mess which makes it much harder for new features to be added. Everyone is waiting for that to happen before development resumes so it will be a while until we see any progress on it, I'll be helping program new physics once the rewrite is finished, I managed to start just before the rewrite began.

Xpand, the guy who's modeled all the ships and a few tracks, is thinking of remodeling Cassandra because he's not happy with it in it's current state. It's mostly the layout, from what I can remember him saying he wants to keep the environment mostly as it is. There hasn't been much going on between the team for a while now, last thing that was really happening was planning the last tracks that need to be modeled and a few environment prop concepts being shown

Also again like mentioned on this thread I'm currently working on BallisticNG, I ditched AGR2280 after realizing it wasn't really going anywhere other then being an over-gloried tech demo and started working on a similar game from scratch. I'll make a thread on here at some point for it, I'm closing in on a new release so I'll make it when that's ready.

osaka wrote:Since it's a project from the dude that made AGR2280 and he made the AGR2280 thread I thought he hadn't posted that because he wanted to keep it for wipeout zone.

I'm trying to get it more recognition at the moment, I want to get into game development as a career so getting BnG out there in the best possible state it can be is a big goal for me :)
Vonsnake

Postby osaka » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:15 pm

Hey, nice to see you here again. Thanks for the extra info on SSGX, and looking forward to that bNG release!
osaka

Return to Futuristic racers