Formula Fusion, AG by ex-Wipeout Devs

F-Zero, Wipeout, Extreme-G, FAST Racing, BallisticNG...

Formula Fusion, AG by ex-Wipeout Devs

Postby 1up » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:32 am

R8 games, which supposedly are ex-wipeout devs are working on something called Slamjet Racing, project name Fomula Fusion.

Slamjet Racing teaser trailer on Dailymotion
1up

Re: Formula Fusion, AG by ex-Wipeout Devs

Postby Ghegs » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:59 am

Oh, cool. I like how the craft look like Formula cars, except hovering and wheels removed.

Wish there was some more information, though. No word about the release date or platforms. Quick Googlin' did reveal this page with a few screenshots and PS4 mentioned.
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby Thunderer » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:11 am

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/09 ... la-fusion/

It mentions PC and Xbone too.
and will be released on Ps4, Xbone and PC.

Here's hoping it doesn't suddenly have "Free to play" or "Multiplayer only" word in it.
Rest in peace Ridge Racer franchise, 1993-2012. Never forget, never forgive.
Thunderer

Postby 1up » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:24 am

Oh, I missed the pc part. That means, wheels, force feedback and possibly Rift support.

rough footage of their new PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 racing game

youtu.be/MPnkFTXsG6c
1up

Postby Ghegs » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:19 pm

Went to check what's going on with this, and I discovered the devs have started a "Test Pilot Programme" which roughly means giving them money now and not getting anything concrete for it until April when they start their Early Build Access, the proper Early Access isn't planned until September. And you can give them more money to get more exclusive content eventually. And they're apparently planning a Kickstarter as well.

That page kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. Feels like they're asking people to pay to become their bug finders and testers, even before Early Access. And the Silver Offer has special exclusive content "Tech Tree Boosts" which sounds a bit like microtransactions might be in place. I hope I'm wrong.

The full game has a release date of March 2016, so it's still a long wait in any case.
Ghegs

Postby 1up » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:57 pm

Looks like they made a new kickstarter and a new trailer. The vehicles looks like power boats now.

https://d2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.net/projects/1332786/video-529008-h264_high.mp4
1up

Postby Ghegs » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:55 pm

The Kickstarter seems to be doing well, they're over 40% with 28 days to go.

The pledge tiers are a bit confusing, though. There are two £20 tiers, but only one of them gets you the game? And then there are two £30 tiers that don't include the game at all? Boggles my mind.

Most bizarrely, originally there was a £150 tier that didn't include the game! That's just batshit insane right there. But "after discussions in the office and with our community" they decided to have the game be a part of the tier after all. Kind of worrying that the concept of not giving out the game at £150 even entered their minds to begin with.

Also, no gameplay footage at all and the feature list includes "No pay-to-win or subscriptions" which to me sounds like doublespeak for "it's possible to get everything by just playing, but with microtransactions you'll get it ten times faster". They do say there will be a new video with early gameplay footage at the end of next week and even a playable version of the prototype available for backers in two weeks, and for their Test Pilot Programme members a week earlier.

Think I might wait until at least the gameplay footage is out before pledging...
Ghegs

Postby 1up » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:47 am

Notice that the $35,000 goal is to just start making the game. A reason to start working on the game.
1up

Postby Ghegs » Sun May 10, 2015 3:24 pm

Well, they got the project backed with plenty of time to spare. And there's new pre-alpha footage at this update.

I'm still on the fence about backing, though. I can't shake the feeling that there's gonna be microtransactions present. Does anybody else get those vibes, or am I just imagining it?
Ghegs

Postby FIL » Sun May 17, 2015 4:32 pm

I've got some friends who are very excited by this but I have to say I'm on the fence too. While I'm still waiting for FAST Racing Neo and 90s Arcade Racer I'm not going to be too quick to get hyped over other games that won't be out any time soon. The idea of crafting in a racing game puts me off a little too.
FIL

Postby null1024 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:57 pm

http://store.steampowered.com/app/389670
Huh, it's up for early access on Steam.
and apparently, it's REALLY early access, it is extremely bare-bones at the moment
It's $30, so I'd probably hold off until it's closer to completion before getting it myself.
things, stuff, more things
null1024

Postby Ghegs » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:56 pm

I would not be opposed to paying for a one track/one ship early access version, but it'd have to be for a substantially lower cost. At least the reviews sound positive.
Ghegs

Postby Ghegs » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:28 pm

I went and bought it. I was lured in by the time attack competition that has actual physical prizes. At the moment I'm #33 on the leaderboards and I think I've got it in me to at least get into top ten. The prizes are only for the top three, tho.

Initially I thought I might return the game but after having a few ~30 minute sessions where I just ran through the track again and again, I had to admit I was enjoying it. Since we last checked it in August, the game has had quite a few updates and now has four tracks to race on (though one of them is just a night variant) and apparently the handling's been tweaked quite a bit as well from the first versions.

The craft still feel incredibly heavy. These aren't hovercraft I'm racing on, these are hovertanks! Your lines better be on point, any corrections easily lead into pinballing between walls. It's also oddly easy to miss speed pads. You think you're set to hit one but miss it, do a small correction so you'll hit at least the next one and end up going past from it the other side. On the flipside, it does feel it takes quite a bit of practice to be able to race competently.
Ghegs

Postby Ghegs » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:20 pm

The game's now officially released, after less than two years in Early Access.
Ghegs

Return to Futuristic racers