Best GBA F-Zero?

F-Zero, Wipeout, Extreme-G, FAST Racing, BallisticNG...

Best GBA F-Zero?

Postby Ghegs » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:38 pm

I've taken on the habit of playing a little bit in the living room with the GBA. Mostly just the classic GB Tetris so far, so I thought I'd expand my horizons a bit. What's the best out of the three GBA F-Zeros? Climax at least seems to look the prettiest, but it's also the most expensive of the bunch due to being JPN-only. Still, if it's the best I'll grab that. It could also be cool to get into track design and sharing them with other members if anybody else has the game.
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Re: Best GBA F-Zero?

Postby osaka » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:19 pm

I played a bunch of maximum velocity and GP Legend in an emu, liked them both. Although the track design seemed better in GP Legend.

On Climax, I can only tell what I see on fzerocentral, but track design seems to be excellent.
osaka

Postby SamsungMinen » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:17 am

I have Maximum Velocity and it rocks, despite the music. Is pretty as well. Just one cart is enough to play some LAN multiplayer (not all of it).

The only other GBA racer I've enjoyed as much as MV would be Motoracer Advance, but I'm afraid the latter is way more expensive.

You can't go wrong with either, still. Also, MV boots almost as fast as b&w GB games, that's very welcome in a handheld game (too many GBA titles for my liking display a number of uskippable screens before you can get busy to them).

As a matter of fact, I found Motoracer Advance so playable with R for acceleration that I feel like playing MV this way now.

And who are we kidding here - loose GBA carts take so little room (and the boxes can be safely stored flat-packed), that for the price MV can be bought loose at, there's no really real reason for you to be without it.
Ancient This vanished.
SamsungMinen

Postby Ghegs » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:12 pm

Resurrecting an old thread...

I played a bit of Maximum Velocity and initially thought it was cool how incredibly drifty the vehicles are, so you'd have to really learn how to master that and figure the best lines to get anywhere without pinballing all over the course. But then I noticed it's far easier and more efficient to just tap-tap-tap on the accelerator through corners. This seems to restore the vehicle's grip, so even tight hairpins can be easily gripped through this way. And that's kind of boring.

After a quick test on GP Legend and Climax, those games don't seem to have the same issue. The vehicles aren't behaving as drifty, either.
Ghegs

Postby 1up » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:37 am

I also have maximum velocity and besides the music, it's straight up F-Zero 2. Tapping the accelerate button is the way to go to take corners.

I used to have GP Legend but I don't recall it being as good as maximum velocity.
1up

Postby Ghegs » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:06 am

1up wrote:I used to have GP Legend but I don't recall it being as good as maximum velocity.

Can you elaborate? It seemed like you don't need to use the sidebrakes in MV at all. GP Legend felt more fun for me due to this alone.
Ghegs

Postby 1up » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:19 am

Well,then it's down to playstyle? 8-)

I used to have both and now I only have Maximum Velocity, so I'd have to imagine I kept the best one. To me MV plays like F-Zero on Super Nintendo and that's how I prefer it. I do recall I hated the story mode in GP Legend. I'm not much for the Story Mode in F-Zero GX either.
1up

Postby BrianC » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:25 am

I liked the story mode in GX, but I didn't much care for the one in GP Legend. The latter seemed to be too easy and repetitive, while the former is extremely challenging. Climax replaced the story mode with a challenge mode, which is much better than GP Legend's story mode.
BrianC

Return to Futuristic racers