Fast Racing NEO

F-Zero, Wipeout, Extreme-G, FAST Racing, BallisticNG...

Fast Racing NEO

Postby Ghegs » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:58 pm

The sequel to Shin'en's FAST Racing League might actually come out! For the longest time they just had a simple splash screen on the game's website, but they've updated now with actual images from the game.

http://fast.shinen.com/neo/

The UI doesn't hint at the presence of the polarity thing that was in FAST Racing League. I never liked that very much, so good riddance in my opinion. Nothing that would hint at weapons either, so it looks to lean more towards the F-Zero side of futuristic racers. And if Nintendo's not interested in making another F-Zero, it's good that somebody's there to fill the gap.
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Re: Fast Racing NEO

Postby Ghegs » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:47 am

Did you see that new F-Zero in Nintendo's E3 show? Yeah, me neither. But this got its first trailer, and really, it looks like F-Zero meets Wipeout.

youtu.be/0MytHOSttgw
Ghegs

Postby bVork » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:14 am

They also played it on the Nintendo Treehouse stream. It looks fantastic - why Nintendo didn't make this part of its Nintendo Direct is beyond me. The polarity mechanic is back, though. I never did play the first and now I kinda want to check it out.

youtu.be/9XJxqrYllo4
bVork

Postby 1up » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:04 am

Found a 12 minute gameplay video

youtu.be/e97FgfJh-xY
1up

Postby Ghegs » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:16 pm

Okay, the polarity thing works a bit differently in NEO. In the first game, you picked up those orbs and you could use them to boost, just like here. But unlike in NEO, you also needed the orbs in order to switch polarities, it wasn't free like it is here. In addition to that, the tracks would occasionally require you to be in certain polarity in order to proceed without crashing. So in all, the polarity thing was way more strict in the first game, you had to be in certain color at some points and you had to have enough energy to do the switch. That's what I didn't really like, I think this is an improvement.

The track intro music is straight from the first game, I wonder if it's a placeholder or just a small nod towards the original. Props that you can use whatever controller you want, Shin'en did the same thing in the first game too. And those sandworms were straight outta Dune, that was cool. They did say they were big sci-fi fans, so possibly intentional.

If I had a Wii U this would be on my get at launch -list. bVork, I do recommend checking out FAST Racing League if you can, it's still pretty good stuff despite my qualms with the polarity thing there.
Ghegs

Postby d123456 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:02 pm

I despise the power ups and shaky camera effect when you land from a jump.
But I am so very happy there is no combat shooting or ramming gimmick going on and more geared towards real racing, that I'd almost forget about that. I'd might get a Wii U just for this.
Thanks for the info on this game.
d123456

Postby FIL » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:43 pm

I have a Wii U. If it's even halfway decent I'll be getting this game.
FIL

Postby gingerbeardman » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:19 pm

I really didn't enjoy the first one, so I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.
gingerbeardman

Postby 1up » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:36 pm

New video from Gamescon 2015. To me it looks a lot like F-Zero GX with the track intros and the handling, although the vehicles seems to be a lot heavier in this one. The boost orbs are still a turnoff for me for some reason? Can't put my finger on it but they looks so out of place. Hey, atleast there's no weapons :lol:

youtu.be/oJOJ-o3IUr8
1up

Postby gingerbeardman » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:12 am

This is out tomorrow in Europe. It's reviewing well.

I'm still on the fence as I didn't enjoy the original Wii version.
gingerbeardman

Postby FIL » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:07 pm

I've got it. From initial impressions it's light years ahead of the original.
FIL

Postby bVork » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:36 am

So far I'm liking this a lot. It's definitely better than the first.

The vehicles have way more weight to them, making them feel different than the craft in Wipeout or F-Zero. The handling almost reminds me of motorcycles. There are a zillion boost orbs on the tracks and you don't need half your gauge to boost, so you can do it way more often than you could in the first game. No cost for switching phases is a welcome change, too. You can boost into enemies to knock them around. I like that because you couldn't really affect them much in the first FAST Racing, where it mostly felt like you were just racing against a set of ghosts.

The tracks themselves are much more interesting - way prettier, way more creative in design. The lighting effects do a surprising amount to make them all look very different from each other. The camera effects as you go off of jumps are also pretty nice. The presentation is very slick, all around.
bVork

Postby Ghegs » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:12 pm

The game's going to be played in this year's Games Done Quick, and it's been scheduled into about 10 hours after I post this. I just noticed it myself. Sadly that's exactly when I arrive at work in the morning, so I won't be able to watch it directly. Should be interesting and show some high-level gameplay.
Ghegs

Postby 1up » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:43 am

Might get uploaded to their YouTube channel right afterwards. I see some runs are already up

Here we go

youtu.be/TGxa37IRqNA
1up

Postby d123456 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:29 am

I have played some on the wiiu and there are good things and very bad things.

Good:
-music
-graphics, the style of the art is okay. I remember a few things being borrowed from f-zero, which is not a bad thing. But also alot of really awesome graphics

Bad:
-slowdown, tearing. In 2 player mode it becomes a mess.
-the stupid Ikaruga switch mechanic which ruins games like this and Ikaruga

Because of the blue and yellow switch gimmick I don't like it. If they took that out and fixed the performance by better programming or toning down the eye candy, this could be a winner.
d123456

Postby Ghegs » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:51 pm

Thanks for the vid, 1up. I watched through it but I didn't really care for way the run was entirely reliant on glitches. I would've much preferred to see a run of the patched version.
Ghegs

Postby Ghegs » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:13 am

Game's going to be getting DLC called "Neo Future Pack" on September 30th, and it includes new courses, vehicle profiles and music.

On the same date the game will receive a physical retail release that will include the DLC, as the first release in the appropiately titled Nintendo eShop Selects line. But only in Europe, at least for the moment.
Ghegs

Return to Futuristic racers