Redout: an indie spiritual successor to Wipeout and F-Zero

F-Zero, Wipeout, Extreme-G, FAST Racing, BallisticNG...

Redout: an indie spiritual successor to Wipeout and F-Zero

Postby korsaat84 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:47 am

Hello folks!
I'd like to tell you about the game we have been working on for the last year here at 34BigThings!

Redout is a low-poly arcade racer, aiming to go back to the roots of the genre in terms of handling. Our main inspirations are, obviously, F-Zero and Wipeout, but we played a lot of Trackmania, Rollcage, Dethkarz and Screamer as well. Our motto is race faster than ever and that's what we are aiming for: an uncompromisingly fast racer!

It doesn't look like I'm able to work the youtube embed code, so
here's a link to our announcement trailer recently reworked.

Some pics!

Redout is still in development and will hit PC, XOne and PS4 sometimes in the not-too-far future, possibly before the end of the year. I'll drop a couple of links in case you are interested in knowing more!
Redout page on our website
Redout page on IndieDB
A nice article on PCGamesN
A nice interview by RedBullGames
Thanks to the admins for inviting us over! :)
korsaat84

Re: Redout: an indie spiritual successor to Wipeout and F-Ze

Postby Ghegs » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:30 pm

Hey there, very happy you decided to come over and talk about your game! To embed a Youtube video, the protocol needs to be http instead of https, that's probably what tripped you there.

Redout looks very promising indeed and I'm looking forward to giving it a go. I was surprised to hear you mention Screamer, that one doesn't get namedropped all that often, despite being a solid arcade-style racer.

Reading through the feature list on your site, I'm guessing there's no online multiplayer planned? How about online leaderboards and racing against other people's ghosts, any plans for those? I'm a big fan of time attack modes myself, so those are of special interest to me.

Will there be a combat element to the game? Some of the event types sound like they might have weapons involved. If there is, I hope there's an option to disable weapons for normal races, that's how I've always played my Wipeouts.

Do keep us updated on your progress. :)
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby korsaat84 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:45 am

Hello! In order:

- Right, no proper online multiplayer planned for now, unless a miracle happens in the near future.
- The leaderboard challenge is another solution on our radar, much easier, but I won't confirm for now because it still requires a multiplayer infrastructure (backend setup, user profile, communication client-server), but it's a possibility.
- As for the weapons, I will quote myself:
That’s something we thought quite hard about. No, there will be no weapons in the game, and here’s why.
Scope and focus, first and foremost. Having offensive capabilities with the option of disabling them, allowing players to enjoy the game as they prefer, is on paper the best way to go, if you are able to deliver consistently on both aspects. We are making, first and foremost, a racing game, and that’s what we want you to do in our game: race. We simply don’t feel like taking the risk of diverting any effort from that core experience. I think small indies like us definitely don’t need to emulate big productions, but go in sharp and hard on that one aspect of the game they want to be remembered for.
And that brings us to the second point: the “Wipeout emulation” syndrome. We hear enough people claiming we are nothing but a Wipeout clone already, so we don’t need to reinforce that impression. (Apparently, anti-gravity racing has too much legacy and at the same time not enough dignity to be called a game genre, for some reason). We are not particularly worried on that side, though, because everyone who had the chance to play the Redout alpha acknowledged that the driving model is quite different, challenging, and fun, and the driving model is everything for us.
In Redout, you’ll win if you are faster. Not if you shoot better, or draw the right powerup at the right time. Our motto is “race faster than ever”, and all the production effort will be oriented towards that.
TL;DR: it’s better to do one thing really well than two things decently. Hope we’ll be able to deliver!
korsaat84

Postby Ghegs » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:10 am

korsaat84 wrote:No, there will be no weapons in the game, and here’s why.

We are making, first and foremost, a racing game, and that’s what we want you to do in our game: race.

In Redout, you’ll win if you are faster. Not if you shoot better, or draw the right powerup at the right time. Our motto is “race faster than ever”, and all the production effort will be oriented towards that.

This brings a smile to my face. I've never really cared for weapons in racers, yet they are pretty common in anti-gravity racing games, so I'm glad you've decided to differentiate Redout like this.

I can understand having your game called "nothing but a Wipeout clone" to be frustrating. F-Zero and Wipeout are just so hugely popular and almost all of their numerous titles are regarded as great, that to escape their legacy seems a herculean task for any other futuristic racing game.

Hopefully you can bring at least the online leaderboards aboard. If not, well, that's why we have Time Attack forums here!

Have you decided on a price point or at least range?
Ghegs

Postby bVork » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:13 pm

Wow, I really like the look of your game. The combination of low-poly environments but detailed lighting and textures is very unique. I also like how the UI is attached to the vehicle. That's something that really impressed me in Split/Second and I'm surprised how few racing game developers have picked up on it.

Now for my question:
Is there going to be replay saving? Even if you do manage to make online leaderboards, it's often hard to trust them thanks to the inevitable cheaters with 0.01 second lap times. Allowing players to save replays of their race would solve that problem by creating an easy method of verifying times.
bVork

Postby lilmanjs » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:14 pm

This looks really nice and smooth and I await this game being finished. The environments remind me of Trackmania with Wipeout style tracks inside of them. Very much looking forward to this and hope that replay sharing and online leaderboards become a thing. If not, I'm sure the game will still be good.
lilmanjs

Postby korsaat84 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:23 am

Thanks everyone, kind words are really appreciated at this stage of development :)

lilmanjs wrote:The environments remind me of Trackmania with Wipeout style tracks inside of them.

You nailed the track design inspiration, sir.

bVork wrote:The combination of low-poly environments but detailed lighting and textures is very unique. I also like how the UI is attached to the vehicle.

Thanks, we are quite proud of our look-and-feel! We'll do whatever we can to have replays in there.

Ghegs wrote:Have you decided on a price point or at least range?

Not speaking officially here, as it depends on other conversations and on how much we can deliver in the "extra mile", but on a personal level I believe you can expect something between 20 and 30 bucks.

I really, really hope we'll be able to deliver a demo for you to try soon-ish.
Cheers again! :)
korsaat84

Postby gingerbeardman » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:06 pm

This looks great!

I don't own any of the platforms you are targeting but I wish you the best.
gingerbeardman

Postby Ghegs » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:57 pm

A new trailer!

youtu.be/9OLVNDQfmCo

And should come out already in September, with VR support. I have been planning to upgrade my rig to VR levels...
Ghegs

Postby d123456 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:05 pm

Looks awesome. Thank you very, very much for not including weapons!

Some tips:
01-Use less purple in your scenery and tracks. I do not have an alternative. It depends on the situation I guess. I would'n use any purple at all. It's a color which doesn't really exist in the real world.
02-Less (high) jumps
03-wider tracks which will enable you to make the vehicles faster without increasing the difficulty.

Big F-zero AX/GX fan here.

Maybe also read my likes & dislikes of Fast Racing NEO here
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=413#p4119
d123456

Postby Ghegs » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:59 pm

Coming out next week!

I also noticed you can already buy a Steam key from their site at -20% discount, with the game unlocking automatically on launch. I'm kind of tempted...

Damnit, pre-ordered.
Ghegs

Postby spectre » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:39 am

The graphics are really impressive. Can't wait to see how it plays.
spectre

Postby Ghegs » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:25 pm

It's out today, and I've played it about 90 minutes now. I only quit when I did because I was playing multiplayer and the host exited the game. Thought it was a good time to take a break.

Right from the start the game feels fast, and I'm just playing with the initial Class I vehicles. There are four classes, so it should get pretty intense later on. At first the racing feels a bit chaotic. There's no minimap (though there are signposts littered around the course hinting which way the track turns), so track memorization is a necessity. So naturally the first time on a brand-new course there's going to be a lot of wallgrinding happening.

At first I thought the screen was a bit too busy, and there's a lot of motionblur once the speed picks up. But an hour into the game it just kind of clicked, and I found myself zooming around the course without hitting the walls too much. The controls are mostly what you'd expect - accel, brake, turbo, strafe and pitch. The latter becomes surprisingly important. The courses have a LOT of verticality to them, and you want to make sure you pitch correctly, otherwise you'll slow down and the screen becomes black or red. The loading screen tips mention how you should adjust to pitch to avoid blackout and redout - guess we found where the game's name comes from. There are three control options to choose from, called Redout, Arcade and Classic. The last one is mostly like Wipeout with the strafes mapped to shoulder triggers and pitch to left analog stick. I've played with the Redout option which maps the strafes and pitch into the right analog stick.

There's a decent vehicle selection, and each ship has four upgradeable stats. Then there are the non-ship specific active and passive power-ups, and you can only choose one of each to be installed at one time. Active power-ups are things like instant speed boosts, protection from damage, stealing energy from other players, and things like that. Passive power-ups are mostly stat increases. Power-ups are also upgradeable, so investing in them is good idea since once you have them, you can use them with any ship. Like korsaat84 promised, there is no combat as such. Of course you can bump into other vehicles and the active power-up EMP Blast is the closest there is to a weapon in the game.

If there's something to critize, the menu UI is a bit confusing at times, especially the power-up selection. And the multiplayer seems to work technically fine, but the playing field isn't particularly even. The single player and multiplayer modes are connected, so what you've unlocked in one is available to use in the other. I went online after about an hour of the career mode and had speed-centric power-ups enabled and fully upgraded. Nobody could touch me, I was beating other players with 9 second gaps at a minimum. You can start the lobby in a Pure Race mode where power-ups are disabled, but even then the vehicle upgrades are allowed. So someone who has unlocked ship/power-up upgrades already has a huge, unbeatable advantage over someone who's just starting the game, an advantage that has nothing to do with track knowledge or practice. So that's kind of a bummer. I wish there was a way to make an absolutely level playing field in multiplayer - Pure Race with no vehicle upgrades applied, for example. Or maybe preferably with all upgrades unlocked for the duration of the race for all participants.

Still, my initial impression about the game is that it definitely is good. Whether it's "kinda good" or "really good" still remains to be seen. If anybody's got any questions, I'll do my best to answer them. And if somebody's got the game and wants to play some multiplayer (we'll try to make it even somehow)...give me a shout.
Ghegs

Postby Ghegs » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:12 pm

26 events in and I'm 34% done with the single player career mode. Lots to do. Hasn't been terribly difficult yet, and I've even gotten a few Platinum medals on time trial events. Still on Class II ships.

The amount of events highlights another problem with the UI. The event list is just one huge list with every single event for all classes that are available, be they beaten or not. At least it shows which ones you've completed and with what medal, but if you decide to skip one and come back to it later, you have to painstakingly search through the list. It only shows four events at a time, and at the moment I have 59 events available. So that could definitely use some tweaking.

Some of the events are really tricky, like Survival where the track is littered with mines. Can't even hit bronze in those. The goal there is to reach a certain amount of checkpoint gates, so my high accel/high top speed ships probably aren't best suited for those.

Boss events are pretty neat too, they take all the tracks from one area and mix them together into one huge track, linking the different courses together with teleports. Could do with a bit of tweaking as well, since sometimes the teleport leads to a hard turn and there's no way to prepare for it, just have to memorize it.
Ghegs

Postby Ghegs » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:20 pm

Amusingly, I was able to "skip" Class III completely. What events you have access to is based on your rank, which is increased by XP as you finish races. But without even grinding I already had access to Class IV events while still doing Class II events. And more than enough money to buy a Class IV vehicle. Or three. Still going to do Class III first, though.

I've come to wish that I could play the game with my wheel pedals handling braking and acceleration. None of the three available control options feel quite ideal to me, you have to either move your thumb from the right thumbstick to the buttons every so often, or you have to have a finger on each of the triggers and bumpers, and that's not the most comfortable grip for me. There's been some rumblings of an eventual update where mapping controls freely is possible, so here's hoping.

I'll try and record some Class IV time attack footage to show how fast the game can get.

It's apparently also possible to drift in the game! ...but I haven't been able to do it. Something about strafing first to the outside of the corner and then switching it to inside, while turning towards the corner all at the same time. Need more practice.
Ghegs

Postby osaka » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:54 pm

As someone who's interested in this type of game (I'll grab it whenever I have funds), I've been interested in F-Zero GX speedruns for a while, which lead me to Vallkyr. He bought the game, and he's been playing for a while.

Which has lead to some funky glitches, like literally breaking the timer on a speed event. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bn47Dt ... youtu.be&a
osaka

Postby Ghegs » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:08 pm

Heh, wow. I hope the devs don't fix being able to go into negative time, that's just neat. He should get a medal for that, of course. But I think competing for the best negative time would be fun.

To clarify for others, Speed is a time attack event where whenever you go faster than a pre-determined speed (700 in that video) you get a time bonus which is then subtracted from your lap time upon finishing the lap.

I did come across a glitch myself. I jumped off a ramp, somehow steered myself below the track, and instead of crashing against what was at the moment the track as a ceiling, I just appeared above it when I touched it. Sadly I wasn't recording at the time.
Ghegs

Postby osaka » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:35 pm

I know that the devs are impressed as he reported this glitch. I don't know what they'll fix, if the ability to get a negative laptime or the part where a negative laptime doesn't give medals.

They could just put a platinum medal on speed events at 0.000 and give negative times the platinum medal.
osaka

Return to Futuristic racers