Hello PolyRace

F-Zero, Wipeout, Extreme-G, FAST Racing, BallisticNG...

Hello PolyRace

Postby bdream » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:26 pm

Hello,

My name is Vincent and I'm the developer of a futuristic racing game called PolyRace. It's my first game and I spent two years working on this. My inspirations are race the sun, track mania, wipeout f-zero ... It's based on ghost multiplayer and oh yes ... it uses procedural generation to create the tracks in a low-poly style. Enough text, here is the video trailer:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3S1D4orElI[/youtube]

If you are interested, I can give a few Steam key (send me a PM) and if you like the game, drop a comment on the Steam store!

Cheers,
Vincent
bdream

Re: Hello PolyRace

Postby Ghegs » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:33 pm

That's very generous, thank you! I've played the game for a little while now, but I'll make a proper review when I've got a few more hours under my belt. I'm a big fan of time attacking so this has the potential to keep me busy for a long time.

For now, some quick impressions and questions:

I can definitely see the Race The Sun influence, however, I prefer PolyRace simply because it has courses and isn't just an endless runner. It's neat to see the low-poly graphical style starting to be popular in indie racing games. I just hope the players don't get burnt out on it.

Love how the guiding markers appear through crests just before you go over, so with quick reflexes you can keep going in the right direction even the first time you're on the course.

When I started the game for the first time, there were no UI elements visible while racing at all (speedometer, time, etc), which I thought was by design so I was going to recommend including them. But they appeared when starting the game the second time.

Something that became apparent quickly was that the highest camera setting seems to be the best to use. I originally used the one that was lower and was having trouble in the Race of the Day course where there were some quick S-turns amidst rocks. I switched the camera and was able to breeze through it quite easily. And I got the #3 spot, beating your time by a whooping .020 seconds! :D The fastest guys were still a second faster than me, though.

Will you be adding Friends lists (or integrating the one from Steam)? So whenever somebody makes a Challenge, that person's friends would be notified and they can play it easily.

Speaking of, when searching for Challenges, it seems the game only displays the first one found that matches the criteria. Would it be possible to see all of them, and the player can then choose from those?
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby bdream » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:00 am

Thank you for your impressions. Always a pleasure to read good comments.

Ghegs wrote: It's neat to see the low-poly graphical style starting to be popular in indie racing games.

Well, I have no artistic background. Some may have noticed it. I chose this kind of graphics because it was easier to make. At start, I thought people would find the game ugly, but surprisingly, most of the player like it.

Ghegs wrote:Will you be adding Friends lists (or integrating the one from Steam)? So whenever somebody makes a Challenge, that person's friends would be notified and they can play it easily.

Speaking of, when searching for Challenges, it seems the game only displays the first one found that matches the criteria. Would it be possible to see all of them, and the player can then choose from those?

Well, that's one of the things I want to rework in the game. The way the challenge can be shared right now is much too complicated. Yes, maybe a system where you see all challenges and can filter to see only your friend challenges.

I also have in mind to add a circuit race track with multiple laps and split screen multiplayer. But that will depend on the sales of the game ... and they are not good for now, so I will see. :)

And congrats for the 3rd place on the leaderboard !
bdream

Postby Ghegs » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:20 pm

Woo :D

Few more thoughts, and I ran into some problems as well.

I like the way you can compare the stats between the different hovercraft. I don't think I've ever seen that before, yet it's so obvious a way to do it. Good thinking there.

The philosophy of the game is pretty enjoyable. I like how the guiding lights are more like loose suggestions rather than strict instructions towards the goal. In many cases you can find small (or large!) shortcuts, as long as you're good enough to zip through the obstacles. It feels very organic. But are the guiding lights always supposed to show a safe route through the environment? Today I ran a track where the lights went right through the middle of a breakable rock.

In Race of the Day, it'd be nice to be able to choose against whose ghost you're racing against, even your own. Though I guess being forced to go against the ghost of the guy one rank better than you makes it feel you're fighting through the ranks to get to the top, until you can only race against yourself.

Every now and then my controller just stops working in menus. It's like I've moved the selector to some invisible option that I can't get out of. Moving the mouse and bringing the cursor to another option fixes this.

When I start a Challenge, I get a blank text box. When I've created a Challenge myself, the text box does display the text properly. But speaking of that, there's a bigger issue there.

Creating a Challenge isn't working right. The parameters I choose just don't stick. I choose TrackR as the hovercraft, press Validate and in the main Create Challenge -screen it reads Titan. I select Desert/Normal for Level and the screen reads Continental/Easy. I tried it with the 360 controller and the mouse and the same thing happened, it's like the game randomizes it after I've made my choices.

Really tiny thing, but I got the God achievement ("Win the race of the day"), even though technically I haven't won the Race of the Day yet, I've just grabbed first place with six hours remaining for somebody else to take me down. Just a tiny inaccuracy in how the achievement has been worded.

Despite the small problems, I am quite enjoying the game. When I first heard about the project I wasn't sure if procedural generation was a good thing for a racing game, but PolyRace does get me into that "one more run" mentality I get when I'm into time attacking something.
Ghegs

Postby bdream » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:42 am

I'm so sorry about all these bugs. Thank you for taking the time to report them.

Ghegs wrote:The philosophy of the game is pretty enjoyable. I like how the guiding lights are more like loose suggestions rather than strict instructions towards the goal. In many cases you can find small (or large!) shortcuts, as long as you're good enough to zip through the obstacles. It feels very organic. But are the guiding lights always supposed to show a safe route through the environment? Today I ran a track where the lights went right through the middle of a breakable rock.

The markers on the ground indicate one possible path to reach the finish line but not the fastest or easiest one. I wanted to give some freedom and possibly find shortcuts as we go along. There can be destructible obstacles on the path depending on the level of the difficulty.

Ghegs wrote:In Race of the Day, it'd be nice to be able to choose against whose ghost you're racing against, even your own. Though I guess being forced to go against the ghost of the guy one rank better than you makes it feel you're fighting through the ranks to get to the top, until you can only race against yourself.

I don't want the player to be able to select which ghost he will be racing against. If you find the shortcut that the top player is using at first race, it removes replay value. I like the fact that you have to discover progressively the race track. I think that to force the n+1 ranked ghost is nice. However, I will add an option to let the player choose to race against its own ghost or another player.

Ghegs wrote:When I start a Challenge, I get a blank text box. When I've created a Challenge myself, the text box does display the text properly. But speaking of that, there's a bigger issue there.

Thanks, I will double check that.

Ghegs wrote:Creating a Challenge isn't working right. The parameters I choose just don't stick. I choose TrackR as the hovercraft, press Validate and in the main Create Challenge -screen it reads Titan. I select Desert/Normal for Level and the screen reads Continental/Easy. I tried it with the 360 controller and the mouse and the same thing happened, it's like the game randomizes it after I've made my choices.

That's a big bug. :( I will fix this very quickly

Ghegs wrote:Every now and then my controller just stops working in menus. It's like I've moved the selector to some invisible option that I can't get out of. Moving the mouse and bringing the cursor to another option fixes this.

Hmmpf :( Is it happening when specific UI panel is displayed ? Or is it random ? I will double check again.

Ghegs wrote:Really tiny thing, but I got the God achievement ("Win the race of the day"), even though technically I haven't won the Race of the Day yet, I've just grabbed first place with six hours remaining for somebody else to take me down. Just a tiny inaccuracy in how the achievement has been worded.

Yes true. I will modify it to "Reach the 1st place in the race of the day"

bdream wrote:Despite the small problems, I am quite enjoying the game. When I first heard about the project I wasn't sure if procedural generation was a good thing for a racing game, but PolyRace does get me into that "one more run" mentality I get when I'm into time attacking something.

It was hard to get something interesting .. Not too easy or not too hard to play. It's still not perfect, but it is playable :)
bdream

Postby Ghegs » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:38 pm

I see you've already fixed all of these bugs, exemplary!

bdream wrote:I don't want the player to be able to select which ghost he will be racing against. If you find the shortcut that the top player is using at first race, it removes replay value.

That's understandable.

One more thing that popped into my head - I'd love to be able to see how many Race of the Days I've won, and what's my average rank on them overall. Maybe that can be worked into the main menu, next to the stats for the Challenges?

Just did the Race of the Day and I just couldn't let it go until I got these few turns just right and had the #1 spot again. There's something quite addictive there.

I'll write my Steam review this weekend.
Ghegs

Postby Ghegs » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:24 am

A really, really tiny thing I noticed, but the stats for the TrackR hovercraft don't quite match the graphically displayed version.

That's TrackR compared against the T-Rex. According to the graphic, both have the same acceleration, despite T-Rex's being 188 and TrackR's being 208.

EDIT: One more...in the Steam achievements, the achievements ThankYou and LikeTheGame are the wrong way around. I've 5-starred 11 missions and unlocked 19.

Ghegs

Postby bdream » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:57 am

Ghegs wrote:One more thing that popped into my head - I'd love to be able to see how many Race of the Days I've won, and what's my average rank on them overall. Maybe that can be worked into the main menu, next to the stats for the Challenges?

Yes, that's something I will add. I cannot give you a deadline ... but I will add it. Maybe this information will be available via a web page.

Thanks again for reporting the bug. I will fix them ASAP.
bdream

Return to Futuristic racers