Retro Futuristic Racers - The Aussie RETRO GamerVine

F-Zero, Wipeout, Extreme-G, FAST Racing, BallisticNG...

Retro Futuristic Racers - The Aussie RETRO GamerVine

Postby AkumajoBelmont » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:38 am

Hey! I wasn't quite sure where to post this, I hope it's ok to post and share it here!

I recently started a YouTube channel, and Redout's release on Steam inspired me to put this episode together. It's all original hardware captures, I thought it might be of interest to some of you here :)

I look at a few different Futuristic/Anti-Grav racers here, almost entirely captured from SEGA hardware (with some PS1 via PS2 for WipEout 2097/3:SE and PC footage for BallisticNG)

I also apologize in advance for the crummy playing when it comes to the earlier WipEout's - it was especially hard to get back into the groove of them, after being spoiled by the utterly smooth BallisticNG.

I'm still finding my 'YouTube' voice, but I hope you guys enjoy this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpOhJ_LwOPo
AkumajoBelmont

Re: Retro Futuristic Racers - The Aussie RETRO GamerVine

Postby Ghegs » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:46 pm

You're not only allowed to post things like this, you're encouraged to!

I wasn't aware Killer Loop is the same game as MagForce Racing, I'll have to fix that in RGDB. But did you know Killer Loop also received an arcade release? Crazy stuff.

I did spot one factual error. You claimed that the Saturn port of Wipeout 2097 is the only console port of the game with analog controls. The PS1 port has analog controls as well, via the neGcon. It also gave the very first Wipeout analog controls.

Overall very nice video, I'm looking forward to the next episode. And I hope you'll let us know of your Cyber Speedway review (and others) as well.
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby AkumajoBelmont » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:06 pm

Awesome, thanks!

And yeah, I knew that about the neGcon, haha - I have no idea why I didn't put it in my script. I must have been thinking analog sticks when I did it, haha. I'm also under the impression that you can pitch up and down using the neGcon??? I've never been able to try it myself. Was thinking of picking one up a few months ago, but they're getting pretty pricey! Maybe with my next tax return, haha :)

Yeah sure, I'll keep posting my themed vids, cheers! :)

EDIT: That Killer Loop cab looks amazing - I want one! I wonder if it was based on the PS1 version, or the PC?
AkumajoBelmont

Postby Ghegs » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:51 pm

AkumajoBelmont wrote:I'm also under the impression that you can pitch up and down using the neGcon??? I've never been able to try it myself. Was thinking of picking one up a few months ago, but they're getting pretty pricey! Maybe with my next tax return, haha :)

You can pitch, yeah. The controller has a d-pad, you use up and down for pitching. Naturally those aren't analog.

I do recommend picking up a neGcon if you have any interest in PS1 racing games. The first time you play Wipeout with it will blow your mind.
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby AkumajoBelmont » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:37 pm

Ghegs wrote:
AkumajoBelmont wrote:I'm also under the impression that you can pitch up and down using the neGcon??? I've never been able to try it myself. Was thinking of picking one up a few months ago, but they're getting pretty pricey! Maybe with my next tax return, haha :)

You can pitch, yeah. The controller has a d-pad, you use up and down for pitching. Naturally those aren't analog.

I do recommend picking up a neGcon if you have any interest in PS1 racing games. The first time you play Wipeout with it will blow your mind.

Ahh, okay, I just thought you could maybe use the twisting to pitch up and down - that's how I had it in my head, haha.

Yeah, I'll definitely have to pick one up in that case :)
AkumajoBelmont

Return to Futuristic racers