Xmodule

F-Zero, Wipeout, Extreme-G, FAST Racing, BallisticNG...

Xmodule

Postby DanieleFrau » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:54 am

Hello,

I'm Daniele Frau, developer of Xmodule videogame.
I'd like to share with you a project I've been working on for almost a year.

Xmodule is a futuristic car racing game where you can fully customise your car choosing from engines front and rear bumpers, wheels, tires, spoilers and so on.
The goal of the game is to give you the chance to be the creator of your concept car and then to actually 3D print each car component and make your digital module real.

Now the game is in the Early Access section on Steam with 3 tracks 3 modules and characters. With the next updates I'll improve the game but also I'll share the 3D files that you'll need to print your car.

I hope you like it.
Cheers :)

youtu.be/HZgEEi8aFqc

youtu.be/xhDQWc1Hrgo

Here an old video where I'm showing how the 3D print feature works, although the graphics and the garage are not anymore like that.
In the final game you'll be able to get codes from the game and use them on our website to download the 3D files.

youtu.be/T2mIGlzzp88
DanieleFrau

Re: Xmodule

Postby Ghegs » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:29 am

Hi there, welcome to the forums!

The game certainly looks nice already. Being able to fully customize your vehicle is something of a rarity in futuristic racers. Will every part affect the car's behaviour in some way (acceleration, top speed, handling, etc...) or are some/all of them just cosmetic changes?

The gameplay doesn't instantly bring to mind any famous futuristic racer like F-Zero or Wipeout, and there seems to be a lot of focus on drifting. Drifting slows you down a bit, but it gives you turbo, so it's a balancing act between the two, is that more or less accurate? That, coupled with the not-stereotypical futuristic racer look, makes me think it's something like Ridge Racer in the future.

What inspired you to work on something like this? Any noteworthy games or other media?

The 3D printing thing is certainly unique. I'm not sure if some other games have already given the players the opportunity to design their own thing and then provide the data needed to create an actual physical copy of it, but it's certainly not commonplace yet. Can you tell us a bit more how that came about? Or did the idea of 3D printing come first, and the game second?
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby bVork » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:49 am

Thanks for posting on the forum! By the way, I think you should've included a link to the game on Steam. Here it is: http://store.steampowered.com/app/520400/

I really like the art style. It's very unique - sort of Wacky Races, sort of Tron.

The car customization strikes me as something that could cause problems. Are you ensuring that it's balanced? It would be disappointing if there's a single combination out there that is inherently superior to all other customization options, or if I am forced to make a trade-off between attractive parts and powerful ones.

As I don't have a 3D printer and don't really have any plans to acquire one, the idea of 3D printing the vehicles just doesn't interest me. I don't begrudge that feature - it's definitely one I've never seen before - but it's just not one that I'd ever use.

Still, I'm definitely interested in the game and am looking forward to seeing where you take it in the future.
bVork

Postby DanieleFrau » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:45 pm

Hello Ghegs,

Thank you for your kind words. Yes the game mechanics are more focused on drifting and boost. In the game there are no power ups or weapons because we want the gamer to focus on building the vehicle and learn how to drift in order to charge the boost.
At the moment only the engines and spoilers affect the vehicle performance but I still need to improve this aspect so that the car customization will really make sense.
I've always been a big fan of sci fi racing games like Wipeout and Rollercage. But a videogame that I really loved was Powerslide.
For the graphics I chose a cartoon style with saturated colors and glow. I've been inspired also by movies like Thron and Akira for the vehicles.
Also I really like the mini 4WD world. So eventually I put all my passions together to create the game.
To answer your last question, I would say that the game came first. Almost 2 years ago I started thinking about creating a racing game. As a 3D artist I love modelling and printing my creations and I thought that gamers might like that as well. And that's how Xmodule came out.

Hello bVork,

Thank you, I'm glad you like it. There will be a lot of components and most of them will affect the performance so you'll have a lot of combination, for instance right now the first module can run with or without spoiler, just this aspect affect the grip in the rear wheels speed and acceleration, so even if the car is a little bit stiffer in the corner you can control it learning how to drift in this way you have a really fast vehicle, or you can have the spoiler and have a really clean drive style trying to find the best trajectory without loosing time drifting, but on the other hands you're not charging the boost in this way.
Right now just the spoilers and the engines are affecting the performance but I'm going to improve this aspect in the future.

For the 3D print aspect even if you don't have a 3D printer there are online services that can print the components for you and deliver them to your home. I know that it's not really common to have a 3D printer right now, but I think it would become more accessible in the future.
DanieleFrau

Postby Ghegs » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:19 pm

Now that you mentioned Powerslide, I can definitely see the resemblance to those cars in Xmodule.

I've played the game a little bit now (thank you very much for the key), and here are some of my thoughts/comments:

It'd be great to be able to navigate the menus with the controller, so I don't have to switch between the mouse and the pad.

The controller mappings you see in the options menu are a bit different than what's displayed in the loading screen (brake is mapped to X in the options), and the latter ones are what's actually correct. It would be nice to be able to reconfigure the controls to my own liking.

The three available cars seem like completely different types. Is that just a matter of choosing the right parts, or there are "classes" for cars so to speak? The Spider Truck GT looks a lot like an off-road vehicle with those big wheels and high ground clearance, and the Dart Zero more like a Formula car. Will it be possible to take those big wheels and put them into any other vehicle, or will there be some restrictions?

It'd be nicer to have all the available parts for a selected area be visible in a list, rather than having to
click left and right to choose between them. That way you can instantly see how many options there are.

With the JTS 77 you can click on those blue circles to immediately switch that part, the other two cars don't have those. Likewise, the JTS 77 has the most areas to choose parts for (8), the others have just 5 and 3. I'm guessing these are just alpha inconsistencies.

Dart Zero's engine noise in the "garage" is pretty annoying, the others don't do that.

Will the character select/customization have any gameplay impact, or is that just a visual thing?

When the game asks whether I want to use manual or automatic transmission, it's possible to just click Race without selecting either, at which point it defaults to manual.

If I have two controllers plugged in, even with the Xbox 360 controller set as the primary controller, the game doesn't work right. It recognizes some buttons from the pad, but no triggers or analog sticks. My other pad doesn't have any analog functions, that might play a factor.

In Horizon City, just before the finish line, on the right side, there's this part with no wall and it looks like you can go there, but there's an invisible wall blocking you.

I imagine the driving model is something that's still being worked now. It feels jittery now, and hitting/grazing the walls can have pretty wild results. In the Desert Drift track I managed to jump up a canyon wall and just drove around for a little bit before falling out of the world completely.

The boosting sound is kind of...wimpy.

When you initiate a drift with the handbrake button, it seems to vary how long it needs to be held down before the drift is started. But it's never instant, feels like it needs almost half a second at least.

Horizon City is my favorite track at the moment, it's fun to just drive around the course. It has a nice flow to it.

What will the feature list eventually look like? What kind of gameplay modes in addition to the career mode, and how will the career mode work like? Will there be time attack (with online leaderboards and/or ghosts?), are there any plans for multiplayer? How many cars (or bases for cars) and tracks?

To re-iterate, there is a lot of potential here and I hope you'll be able to achieve it. I'll certainly be following your progress. Do keep us posted!
Ghegs

Postby DanieleFrau » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:50 am

Thank you Ghegs to take the time to write down your impressions, and sorry for the late reply.

I would like to implement the full control support un the next updates, also make the game working with the Xbox one ps4 and ps3 controllers.
Thanks to notice me the error in the options, I'll fix that in the next update.
Although I'm not sure to implement control customisation, Instead I'll try to implement more presets.
Unfortunately I didn't plan to change the wheel size but I appreciate your suggestion and I'll think about it. My only concern is that changing the wheel size you're also changing the °feeling° of the car, I'd like to make the customisable but for instance I don't want to make Dart Zero from an °F1 car° to a buggy, if you know what I mean.
I totally agree from the selection side. I'll leave the arrows to change components but I'll also add a selection menu in the bottom to exactly select the car components, as well In the final version you'll have a lot more of components unlockable with the career mode.

The characters will not affect the car performance but I like the Idea to customise the pilot to match with the car.

Actually in the game you can just click race without selecting the transmission. Did you find that window annoying?

For the two controllers plugged in I have to double check, thank you for notice me.

For the controls I've improved the car handling since the release. For the drift the response depends on the module that you choose but I didn't feel that laggy, for instance if you try to drift when the road is straight it doesn't work immediately but if your in the corner it is. The car will drift depending on your drive style. In general did you find the car handling too hard to get?
Still I think I'll have to improve it.
Can you tell me which wall did you climb?

Horizon city is the track that need a little more of work, especially from the graphic side so yes you'll not be able to go in that part .

In the Next update the game will have a sprint track and in the Career mode there will be 12 tracks and 5 modules. But I open to suggestion during the development.

I'll keep you update for sure, thank you very much! :)
DanieleFrau

Postby Ghegs » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:12 pm

DanieleFrau wrote:Actually in the game you can just click race without selecting the transmission. Did you find that window annoying?

It wasn't annoying, just confusing that it allowed me to proceed without selecting anything. Maybe if it visually defaulted to either option that would make it clearer.

For the drift the response depends on the module that you choose but I didn't feel that laggy, for instance if you try to drift when the road is straight it doesn't work immediately but if your in the corner it is. The car will drift depending on your drive style. In general did you find the car handling too hard to get?
Still I think I'll have to improve it.

The handling doesn't feel quite right to me. It doesn't feel...immediate, for the lack of a better word. And yet sometimes it feels much too twitchy.

Can you tell me which wall did you climb?

I'll send you a PM with a video link.
Ghegs

Return to Futuristic racers