Acro Storm

F-Zero, Wipeout, Extreme-G, FAST Racing, BallisticNG...

Acro Storm

Postby prominencef » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:24 pm

Hello everyone! I'm here because it was suggested to me, to talk a little about our futuristic racing game soon coming called Acro Storm.

Acro Storm is a futuristic racing game heavily inspired by games like F-Zero, Extreme G, Wipeout, and the sort, and we're looking to release on Steam Early Access in a few days! We've been working on the game on and off for about a year and a half, and we're really excited to release to the public.

It's planned to feature 12 characters, each with their own specific stories, and methods to completing those stories beyond simple 'win the race' challenges. Each character will have different requirements to progress, and we plan to have animated cutscenes to help tell those stories as well. The tracks are intended to number 16, and have a wide variety of influences, both natural and fantastical in nature.

There are also planned to be a wide variety of vehicles, each with different classes and customizable parts, and the characters themselves will have unique stats, to allow for truly varied playstyles. At the moment, we have Arcade and Time Trial modes, but we plan to have a Grand Prix mode available once Early Access begins. You can check out a free demo here- keep in mind the Early Access version will have more content than this, and it will also be updated regularly as we create more content and adjust things based on feedback.

http://bluecometgames.net/downloads

You can also see the Steam page here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/546610

Thanks for your time!
prominencef

Re: Acro Storm

Postby Ghegs » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:20 pm

Hey there, glad you could make it.

I gave the demo a whirl, you seem to be well on your way with the game. Some notes in no particular order:

The way the power-ups work is pretty interesting; rather than just hoping you get a good item for your current situation from a pick-up, you instead get to pick your item freely based on how many power-ups you've collected. That's pretty cool. It did feel just a hair too difficult to collect the power-ups, many times I flew by real close but didn't acquire them. And managed to get an error message by trying to release the last weapon available, the nuke one. It read "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of object", but I'm guessing it might already be fixed for the upcoming Early Access build.

I found myself missing a numerical display of speed, the meter that's there didn't really cut it for me.

I like the graphical style, the tracks are very colorful. That's nice to see.

You have quite a lot planned - many characters, each with animated cutscenes, a good number of tracks, track editor, customizable parts for all the vehicles, online multiplayer, clan support...I hope you're not biting off more than you can chew. Are you already well-experienced in game development?
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Re: Acro Storm

Postby prominencef » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:00 pm

Experienced enough, I'd say- I've personally done non-QA work on a few AA releases back in the day, and I have a great deal of experienced people to talk to in terms of general assistance. Similar situation for other team members. We actually have systems set up already for a decent portion of all this stuff- it's largely just creating the content. For example, the actual backend for customizable parts is already IN the game, we just...need to make parts to customize with. Ditto characters, and the story sequences- we did our homework before promising this stuff, and we came to the conclusion after heavy debate that we could handle it. It will just take time due to how few of us there are.

Kinda surprised the final weapon (which is a beam, not a nuke) wasn't working- seemed to in our tests. Something might've been disconnected by accident- we'll look into it. The numerical display will also be something we'll probably allow for a sort of toggle.

Thanks for the impressions and concerns!
prominencef

Return to Futuristic racers