F-Zero GX

F-Zero, Wipeout, Extreme-G, FAST Racing, BallisticNG...

F-Zero GX

Postby Moniker » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:02 am

Was having a ball playing a shittily emulated F-Zero GP Legend (GBA), especially the story mode. So I decided to hunker down and actually give GX the time it deserves, only...

How the hell do you beat the second story mission (Capn Falcon vs. Samurai Whosit)? Even if I tune all the way towards max speed, and boost my way instead of normal acceleration, I can't catch him. Seemingly perfect cornering doesn't do me much good. If I'm lucky, he'll hit a boulder and I'll get past him, but then he'll out-boost me before I can make the finish. Guessing I'm missing something critical here...
Moniker

Re: F-Zero GX

Postby trap15 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:19 am

I believe the trick is to save all of your boost for the end. If I recall correctly, he cheats so he's almost always ahead of you except when boosting. So just make sure to be perfect throughout the stage and boost to the end.

Great game, I'm sure you're going to enjoy it.
We will give you a freedom without objections.
trap15

Postby Moniker » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:46 am

Thanks, that did the trick. I was worried I was expected to knock him off the mountain or something. :P

Also key is keeping him within a certain distance so he keeps hitting boulders, then lay on the boost at the end for the win.
Moniker

Postby Moniker » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:43 am

Okay, question #2. How do you go about tackling tracks that are either inside or outside of cylinders? There doesn't seem to be a clear racing line, and it's really confusing, especially since the minimap sorta craps out in those areas.

Also, am I supposed to be using side or spin attack? They don't seem to do anything. (In case it isn't clear, my copy of the game didn't come with the manual. ;))
Moniker

Postby trap15 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:06 am

As far as the tube tracks go, I really have no idea. They're pretty much my least favorite, and they're probably pretty difficult to figure out. I'd imagine the optimal way is to memorize how it turns, and keep track of your own rotation, then stay on the inside. But that sounds really difficult, so I don't know.

For the attacks, as far as I know they're only good for trying to knock out opponents in the races (works fairly well for that). I never really paid attention to the attack buttons though, since I prefer a clean race ;)
trap15

Postby SamsungMinen » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:02 am

As for the attacking, the Chapter 4 will school you. I didn't have much use for attacking before, but then it clicked. The FAQ guy advised us to spin attack all the time, saving side attacking for the boss. Worked for me, but contrary to the advice, I maxed the acceleration out.
The Story is pretty challenging for a reason. It educates you.
In a nutshell, boosting costs you energy, successful attacking restores it.
Ancient This vanished.
SamsungMinen

Postby trap15 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:27 am

SamsungMinen wrote:In a nutshell, boosting costs you energy, successful attacking restores it.

Oh wow, that's interesting. I didn't know about that! I'll have to play around a bunch next time I get around to playing!
trap15

Postby SamsungMinen » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:50 am

Eliminating other vehicles gives you extra continues, too.
Ancient This vanished.
SamsungMinen

Postby 1up » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:26 pm

I'm pretty sure that the game is calling me a retard everytime I fly off track and die (retired)! :lol: Even on Novice this game is hard. Sure you have to fight/boost for 1st place but the tracks themselves are really challenging. Mute City kicked my ass and used all my credits :oops:

What's favored in this game when it comes to pilots? I see 4 charactaristics to each ship: speed, boost, grip and weight. Is it correct that A is best and E is worst? Fx. A on speed is best top speed while E boost is the shortest boost duration? and an E on grip means it breaks sideways more easy? What does weight do? My guess is I won't get 'bullied' around as much, but do I also drop faster in those freefall parts of the track?
1up

Postby osaka » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:45 pm

If it's in any way similar to F-Zero X in that nature, A weight means it's harder to knock you off-bounds, A Boost means a boost that takes less energy and has more power, A Grip means that your ship goes like it's on rails. On X there wasn't a top speed category tho, but it's easy to asume A>>>>E. And weight was body (so Octo and his 990kg ship had B body, while Mighty Gazelle with 1330kg had D body)
osaka

Postby trunk » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:00 pm

This game is beautiful. I also got stuck on story chapter 2. Thanks for the tips here. Might inspire me to try again.
Current Setup:

720P------------------------v
240P->XRGB-3->Edge->4x2 matrix->DLP HDTV
480i/P->YPbPrselect-^ . . ^ . . V-->hdmi2vga->Super Emotia->Tate CRT SDTV
PC->vga2hdmi-------------^
trunk

Postby Opa Opa » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:12 pm

trunk wrote:This game is beautiful.

I agree with that! The game looks fantastic. Although, GX's brutal difficulty and unforgiving nature keeps me from enjoying the game. Not my cup of tea I guess.
Opa Opa

Postby Terramax » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:03 pm

I'm currently going through this game. Story mode isn't my thing. Doing the arcade championships instead. Currently on novice, but I keep falling off the edge on the first track of the forth cup. Frustrating.

Indeed, this game is beautiful. It was developed by Sega's Amusement Vision, the same guys that made Super Monkey Ball, one of the Gamecube's most popular titles, and it's got their style all over it. The controls especially feel like pure Sega. Nintendo should outsource Sega to make Nintendo franchises more often. Imagine Sega doing a Star Fox using members of Smilebit, whom did Panzer Dragoon Orta.

Amusment Vision pushed the Gamecube's graphics and power to its absolute limit. I remember reading an interview about how they had to strategically program certain sections of the track to lose detail, when not shown on screen, in order to keep the game at a smooth framerate.

The soundtrack is also by the same guy that did the Fighting Vipers 2 OST (for the two people out there that have played that underrated gem), and you can tell. The music has a perfect mix of techno, and an undercurrent of rock/ metal.

This is a very polished game. But, indeed, it's a shame it's too hard for most to appreciate. The game is much more fun multiplayer, where it's more likely everyone playing are around the same skill level.
Terramax

Postby limbrooke » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:59 pm

1up wrote:I'm pretty sure that the game is calling me a retard everytime I fly off track and die (retired)! :lol:

Isn't that the truth, it's a very close pronunciation so I used to think the game was mocking me too.

I would say if you go into this game expecting any "gimmes" you'll be dead wrong. It's a game that deserves your respect or you'll get your ass handed to you and not understand why. GX is a game in contrast as it doesn't give anything away without some form of payment, mostly in the form of practice to prove you can play this game.

After seeing the sublime run at this years Awesome Games Done Quick (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvrepvisxA0) of the already difficult Story Mode amped up to very hard difficulty it makes you think twice about the practice and familiarization needed to do well in this game. CGN makes it look easy and it's anything but.

After spending more time in GX my advice would be to stick to Grand Prix and Time Attack where you should try unlocking staff ghosts while not worrying about beating (and buying them) them. You'll spend plenty of time getting used to the game doing GP (from Novice to Expert). Story Mode is challenging without any experience so if you delay going after it for a while it won't be as tough a task. I learned this the hard way, as I'm sure others have.

This post is mostly related to a comment our leader, Ghegs, made over on shmups on how GX seems daunting and as such may dissuade play as a result. Yes, you need to invest some time to get used to it but given the vehicle variety and differentiation you can probably find one over the course of unlocking the initial 27 (a further 10 AX racers remain). A couple I like at this point are Little Wyvern, Hyper Speeder, and White Cat.

Also, the guides over at F-Zero Central are quite useful. All the same, it would nice to speak with some people like CGN on overall advice, perhaps someone could get him on this forum, heh.
limbrooke

Postby Ghegs » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:02 pm

limbrooke wrote:This post is mostly related to a comment our leader, Ghegs, made...

Man, that sounds bad. Hopefully nobody starts calling me Dear Leader or El Presidente or anything...

Anyway, your post inspired me to put the game in again, and continue the save game where I had unlocked a few vehicles, beat the first two story missions and won the Novice Ruby Cup once or twice. I managed to beat Story 3 after a half a dozen attempts, then beat Novice Ruby Cup once more for good measure. Can I play a Cup over and over and get more tickets each time?

Since I don't want to murder my hands with snaking, I understand I should tweak my vehicle for max speed so I don't even have to think about it? What are some good vehicles to unlock that would compliment this playstyle?
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby limbrooke » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:27 pm

Ghegs wrote:Man, that sounds bad. Hopefully nobody starts calling me Dear Leader or El Presidente or anything...

Well, you are the leader/organizer of RS so I felt it was accurate. Don't worry I won't go lovey-dovey on the title next time. :mrgreen:
Ghegs wrote:Anyway, your post inspired me to put the game in again, and continue the save game where I had unlocked a few vehicles, beat the first two story missions and won the Novice Ruby Cup once or twice. I managed to beat Story 3 after a half a dozen attempts, then beat Novice Ruby Cup once more for good measure. Can I play a Cup over and over and get more tickets each time?

Since I don't want to murder my hands with snaking, I understand I should tweak my vehicle for max speed so I don't even have to think about it? What are some good vehicles to unlock that would compliment this playstyle?

Don't bother with snaking, it's fast sure but as you point out you'll kill your hands. The game can be completed without snaking so I'd only go that route once you've mastered the basics. Max speed is the way to go and my personal preference is good boost and good grip ratings. Body isn't so much of a concern, although I do like a slightly heavier vehicle as opposed to ultra-light. The three ships I mentioned in the previous post (Little Wyvern (James McCloud), Hyper Speeder (Beastman), and White Cat (Jody Summers)) have good handling/response with quick turns and general turning during boost with decent boost power. Blue Falcon is also an alright choice since learning to play well with it goes a long way in playing better overall.

I personally haven't done a cup+difficulty repeatedly but I believe you can continuously get tickets from re-doing the cups as you would need to keep doing cups on the same difficulties since that's the only way to hear all the dialogue for all the characters in F-Zero TV (assuming you'd want to do this, questions change on difficulty).
limbrooke

Postby Ghegs » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:12 pm

Beat Novice Sapphire Cup with Blue Falcon after falling off the track on Mute City: Serial Gaps like four times. Bought Hyper Speeder, I'm liking it. I did have difficulties doing some of the tighter corners on that, and doing the Drift Turn didn't seem to work at all. Because of the Max Speed thing? Then I started quickly hitting the shoulder button opposite to the corner while turning (so if I'm doing a left corner, holding L, then tapping R) and that did the trick.

Guess I should give those guides a look at some point.
Ghegs

Postby limbrooke » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:52 am

Ghegs wrote:Beat Novice Sapphire Cup with Blue Falcon after falling off the track on Mute City: Serial Gaps like four times. Bought Hyper Speeder, I'm liking it. I did have difficulties doing some of the tighter corners on that, and doing the Drift Turn didn't seem to work at all. Because of the Max Speed thing? Then I started quickly hitting the shoulder button opposite to the corner while turning (so if I'm doing a left corner, holding L, then tapping R) and that did the trick.

Guess I should give those guides a look at some point.

Here's another repository to consider - this user completes (and finishes first for a cup) Master Class without boost power. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... RKcWd_Rvqt
limbrooke

Postby Ghegs » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:36 pm

Wow, White Cat's got some agility on her. I don't think I had to touch the shoulder buttons once to get through a corner. Little Wyvern is my favorite so far, I like how controlling it doesn't feel nearly as jittery as with some of the other vehicles. Beat my first Standard cup with it, too.
Ghegs

Postby 1up » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:51 am

Finished F-Zero for SNES last week and want more F-Zero. I listened to the latest episode of Radio Free Nintendo where they discussed F-Zero X and GX and made it clear to me that Story Mode is not the meat and potatoes of GX. It was more an extra set of challenges after you complete the cups. They do make it out to be that the Story Mode is the way to start as it teaches you the different techniques. This was also my initial impression when I started it, and why I gave up on it.

I'm picking up a B&O MX7000 CRT today, so I will dive back intro GX and attack the Cups.
1up

Postby limbrooke » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:39 pm

Ghegs wrote:Bought Hyper Speeder, I'm liking it. I did have difficulties doing some of the tighter corners on that, and doing the Drift Turn didn't seem to work at all. Because of the Max Speed thing? Then I started quickly hitting the shoulder button opposite to the corner while turning (so if I'm doing a left corner, holding L, then tapping R) and that did the trick.

As the manual states, a Drift Turn is turning with the control stick then pressing both L&R triggers. A Slide Turn is turning a direction with the control stick and the associated trigger (so turning left while pressing L trigger). A Quick Turn not explained in the manual is tapping the opposite direction trigger then turning while pressing the associated trigger (so turning left means tapping R trigger, then pressing left on the control stick while holding L trigger).

With Little Wyvern I find DTs often get the job done on tight turns, even at a loss of speed. With Hyper Speeder I've found an interesting property - to clear a much tighter turn engage a ST and tap the opposite direction trigger which is like a reversed QT. Either way, with normal QT or the rQT with Hyper Speeder it will help clear some tight corners.
limbrooke

Postby Ghegs » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:32 pm

Yeah, but the manual also states that the machine will "lose the ability to quickly start and drift in the turns", so I thought it was actually unable to drift at all. It has worked since with Hyper Speeder, so maybe I just wasn't pushing the buttons enough, or something.

With Hyper Speeder I've found an interesting property - to clear a much tighter turn engage a ST and tap the opposite direction trigger which is like a reversed QT.

That's exactly what I was doing. And I did some testing with Hyper Speeder and at least on some turns I lose less speed when doing a Quick Turn, so I guess both have their place.
Ghegs

Postby 1up » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:15 pm

I played this a bit yesterday, just the cups and noticed that above the cups theres a star? On Ruby I had both a silver and bronce star and on Saphire I had a single silver star?

what does that mean? I guess the silver star is 1st place overall in the cup?
1up

Postby 1up » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:03 am

I figured it out. It means how I finished on what difficulty
1up

Postby 1up » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:36 pm

Picked it up again and beat all 3 cups on Standard and unlocked Diamond Cup which I also beat. It wasn't too bad as I got first place in almost all races. It seems like some of the tracks in Diamond Cup is actually easier than Emerald Cup. That first on though on the cosmic elevator is pretty intense with no wall and splitting roads :o

I started expert and noticed that you don't go any faster than usual but the other drivers are a little bit more aggressive, not much, but you have to hit the boost strips and use a lot of boost yourself to keep up, and it makes it really intense. The AI is fighting tooth and nail, so I managed to get 1st place overall on Ruby Cup despite only getting one 1st place finish.

Moved on the Saphire Cup and ended getting 2nd overall losing by just 1 single point. That's when I decided it was enough F-Zero for one day :lol:

Game is so smooth and the gameplay is so tight. It really is the pinnacle of futuristic arcade racers.
1up

Return to Futuristic racers