What are you playing?

Discussion not focusing on a single game or series. Also forum-related matters.

Re: What are you playing?

Postby osaka » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:01 pm

I've decided to take up WipEout Fusion just to say I've played all wipeout games after getting done with Wipeout XL. It's definitely not a bad racing game, but I can see where the backlash came from.

Also fuck the Van Uber challenges. How do you make the first challenge an elimination challenge with a ship that has at stock 39 health
osaka

Postby Ghegs » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:29 pm

Returned to Side By Side again, at least for a spell. I went and got #1 in the few remaining courses in arcade mode, to unlock the three bonus tracks, and then I got #1 in those to unlock the three bonus cars. Not a terribly difficult thing to do overall, took me less than two hours overall. The bonus tracks were a bit tough, since they're all point-to-point so there's no minimap to help you, just have to drive them until you memorize them enough to win.

One of the bonus courses is Akagi Downhill, btw. Pretty cool. I wonder if the other two are famous from Initial D as well?

The unlockable cars are mostly curiosities. There's Taito Van, Taito 1Box and Taito Truck. The truck one handles appropriately sluggishly, and the van is quite fast but doesn't turn very well. So not a real contender for Akina, but it would probably do well in the easier courses. I did manage to beat Bunta in Akina Downhill with it, though!
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby Lee » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:36 am

I really wanted to get under 2 minutes on Manx TT's Laxey Coast. There's hardly anyone playing it on YouTube but I could feel it was possible, just had to keep playing and playing until I got it..

youtu.be/iRcWfnYiE_c

EDIT: Replaced with slightly faster time. EDIT 2: Reuploaded for slightly better quality :)
Last edited by Lee on Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lee

Postby Ghegs » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:36 pm

Nice job there. I've never played the game myself, looks to have a great feel of speed to it.
Ghegs

Postby Lee » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:25 pm

Only 2 tracks, but it's fast and handles quite satisfyingly (if you're playing it properly as if you were sat on a bike). I went back to Sega Rally after playing this for a few days and it was incredibly sensitive! You just had to look at the car and it would turn. It's going to take a while to re-learn it.

With this game, the experience is really in the cab, leaning on the bike and using the other view but the other view really hinders your lines and can make you a bit seasick.
Lee

Postby Ghegs » Tue May 02, 2017 7:35 pm

The other day I re-installed Shinseiki GPX Cyber Formula: SIN Drei Plus to take screenshots for RGDB and was reminded how fun the game is, so I've been casually time attacking it. Picked a track, picked a car, did a time attack run and then changed to a different car and tried to beat my ghost. When beaten, change the car again and beat the new ghost, and repeat. I find this very entertaining, and it also lets me learn the differences between the different vehicles better.

The game has some of the best record-keeping I've seen. It keeps track of your best lap time and best total time for each vehicle in each course. It's very easy to see which vehicle is giving you the best results in whatever course you're looking at. Best of all, instead of the game only saving the best ghost for each course, it saves any run you want as both a replay and a ghost. You can then race against any ghost you have saved, no matter the car, or how good or bad a replay it is. And since it's a PC game the files can be easily located and shared with other players.

And as a sugar on top, the game has in-game achievements for going under specific times for each course, and there's a Bronze, Silver and Gold time. So that's pretty awesome, it gives you clear goals to reach for as well as giving an idea of what kind of times are possible.
Ghegs

Postby clp » Sun May 14, 2017 2:46 pm

Just got done 100% clearing midnight club 2, fantastic game and a great time all the way.

Also been time attacking Ballistigng on steam a bit on the fastest class zen, hope some of you guys shows up there? it's a great game. Pic related.

best free image hosting
clp

Postby Ghegs » Mon May 22, 2017 7:15 am

I went to play the first FlatOut game with the intent of taking screenshots for RGDB and ended up playing through the whole game with all golds during the weekend, sans the bonus "throw the ragdoll at the bowling pins" events. Whoops.

Really fun game, I hadn't really played it before. It was cool seeing the design differences between the first and the second game/UC that I've played through three or four times. Like in the first game the shortcuts are these slightly hidden paths that definitely cut down your time if you take them, but it's also possible to mess up and lose time instead, while in the sequels the courses have clear, alternative paths but whether they're faster is much more difficult to say.

If there's something I don't particularly like, is that it's so much easier to crash out. I've slightly clipped a decrepit wooden fence with the back of the car and BOOM the ragdoll flies out through the windshield.

Still, 'twas fun times. And unlike 2 (but redeemed in UC) the game has a proper time attack mode. I'd be up for doing some of that if anybody's interested.
Ghegs

Postby clp » Wed May 24, 2017 11:43 am

Ghegs wrote:Still, 'twas fun times. And unlike 2 (but redeemed in UC) the game has a proper time attack mode. I'd be up for doing some of that if anybody's interested.

I would be for sure, 2 not having time attack was a travesty and slightly odd.
clp

Postby Ghegs » Wed May 24, 2017 12:26 pm

clp wrote:
Ghegs wrote:Still, 'twas fun times. And unlike 2 (but redeemed in UC) the game has a proper time attack mode. I'd be up for doing some of that if anybody's interested.

I would be for sure, 2 not having time attack was a travesty and slightly odd.

Great! Do you have a favorite track? And free choice of vehicle so we can use the fastest ones, certainly?

The lack of time attack in 2 boggles my mind. It would probably rank in my Top 5 racing games if included that. Even UC's time attack mode is a bit weak, since it's only one lap.
Ghegs

Postby clp » Thu May 25, 2017 6:36 am

No preference on track although i haven't played through the game fully yet but it won't take long i'm sure so go ahead with whatever.
clp

Postby Ghegs » Thu May 25, 2017 2:50 pm

FlatOut TA thread is now up with two tracks that I thought were fun.
Ghegs

Previous

Return to General Discussion