Xbox One getting OG Xbox BC

Discussion not focusing on a single game or series. Also forum-related matters.

Xbox One getting OG Xbox BC

Postby spectre » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:19 am

it was announced at the Microsoft E3 conference that they're starting to make original xbox games backwards compatible on the Xbox One.

Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast and Burnout 2 on a modern console could be a possibility 8-)

Do you think Original Xbox games will increase in price because of this?
spectre

Re: Xbox One getting OG Xbox BC

Postby itsgood2slide » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:04 pm

It would be interesting to see if this does affect Xbox game prices (which have mostly been rock bottom for a while now) and also how the digital sales compare to PS2 games on PS4.

P.S. Was it just me, or did the Ubisoft guy accidentally say "Xbone" at the Xbox press conference :lol:
itsgood2slide

Postby osaka » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:45 pm

Maybe I could find a way to get PGR2 finally with this.
osaka

Postby spectre » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:28 am

PCGamer interviewed Phil Spencer and he hinted at that we might get backwards compatible games on PC at some point

Naturally, when we talked with Xbox chief Phil Spencer today, we asked if we might see that emulation make its way to the PC in the future. His one-word answer?

"Yes."

Straight to the point. Exciting! But also: we wanted more. Thankfully, after letting that affirmative hang in the air for a few moments, Spencer elaborated.

"I want people to be able to play games!" he said. "[Emulation] is hard. [Xbox] 360 specifically is a PowerPC chip, emulated to x86, which is difficult. It's a little bit easier when you have a fixed spec, when you think about Xbox, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X. And you think of the variable specs of the PC space, so you're taking a fixed-spec PowerPC emulator and then moving it over to run on PC, so there's a lot of work there.

"The original Xbox, OG Xbox, is a little bit easier, because that was an x86 chip it was running on.
spectre

Postby osaka » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:09 pm

I still don't know why nobody actually decided to do an emulator for the original xbox since it was just a 2002 computer running a custom Windows version. Which wasn't custom enough to not need a hard drive too.
osaka

Postby Ghegs » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:34 pm

As I understand it, there simply isn't enough interest for the emu crowd to get into it. I remember reading some of the hardware's documentation isn't available, so it would require a lot of work before anything even vaguely resembling an emulator would be possible.

The console also has relatively few exclusives, so there's not a whole lot of reason to bother with it. Many of its titles were available on PC, PS2 or GameCube as well. I once toyed with the idea of getting an oXbox, but really the only game I'd buy it for is Steel Battalion.

That said, I applaud the idea of bringing oXbox games to current systems. It's commendable to keep older works alive and made possible to enjoy without the having to go through hoops in acquiring older, potentially failing hardware, having to deal with outdated video output technology, etc. Very cool indeed if they bring the games to PC.
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Return to General Discussion