I recieved today...

Discussion not focusing on a single game or series. Also forum-related matters.

Re: I recieved today...

Postby osaka » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:13 pm

Remix is MC3 with the MC2 interpretation of Tokyo, so you should only get the Remix imo.
osaka

Postby Ghegs » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:44 pm

World Rally 2:

Still doesn't emulate well. Which is a shame, as it's pretty good and maybe even better than the first. The graphics are better and more consistent, the tracks are a bit more interesting (there's many shortcuts now), three cars to choose from, though I can't say if there's any difference between them. Many little touches of improvement here and there.
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby Thunderer » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:02 am

SamsungMinen wrote:Speaking of which, any vehicular mods of usual suspects you'd recommend? I read of some UT2004 mod that is like Twisted Metal...

Do you mean this?
http://www.moddb.com/mods/roadkill

Aside that there's Furious Steals, Carball and Unwheel.
CRASHDAY IS THE BEST RACING SIM AND HAS ALL POSSIBLE SIMULATION VALUES
Thunderer

Postby Ghegs » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:03 pm

Drift Out '94: The Hard Order. I think I'm done buying isometric racers for a while, but this one's really cool. I might have to do a proper comparison about them later, but I prefer some aspects of this one over the two World Rally games quite a bit.
Ghegs

Postby Ghegs » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:40 pm

+

=

Logitech's Driving Force GT and a Wheel Stand Pro. I've raced an hour or two with it now and I'm very happy with the combo. Played some Battle Gear 3 and V-Rally 3 and the wheel felt very comfortable and precise. Despite the box not saying a word about it, the wheel has great PS2 compatibility, that was the main reason I actually bought it. Fun times ahead!
Ghegs

Postby 1up » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:15 pm

Congrats, I also have the Wheelstand Pro but a Logitech G27 wheel. I used to own a Driving Force Pro, which is a lot like yours, and it's a very good wheel. I used to simrace it a lot with Live for Speed and spent many hours using it with Gran Turismo 4 on nurburgring.

I recall that the Driving Force Pro came out alongside Gran Turismo 4. The 900 degree turning radius was a first for Gran Turismo.
1up

Postby 1up » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:44 am

It arrived....

1up

Postby 1up » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:25 pm

The game came with a car key? It says Battle Gear 3 Net Key? Is that for use on the arcade machine?
1up

Postby Ghegs » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:25 pm

Yep, to quote from the Wikipedia article:

The "Net Entry Key" is a secure device manufactured by Nesys and designed with a personal code required to register the Battle Gear Net arena from the game's custom designed arcade cabinet only delivered in Japan, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Australia and New Zealand. The key is used to compete in local game centers’ sponsored championships, to upload Best Time records, to unlock car parts and extra cars, and to save the personal tuning settings and custom plate.

Really glad you got the game, I'm looking forward to seeing you on the time attack boards. Maybe it's time we challenge other tracks and car classes as well?
Ghegs

Postby 1up » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:43 pm

The Key is pretty cool. Says Taito on one side and has an insert for a white sticker, that was also included on the other. I won't have time to block the Sensors in my PSTwo till next week, so the wait will be unbearable :(

Oh, almost forgot, I also got 18 wheeler for GameCube in that package. I liked the arcade machine and wanted to play it again.
1up

Postby racer445 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:13 pm

between this, the daytona 1 arcade poster, and the daytona 2 full size cloth flag, i think i've completed the AM2 wall art trifecta.

racer445

Postby Ghegs » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:03 pm

This was actually a little while ago, but I found a cheap GT Force that had seen very little use, so I switched my Driving Force GT on the stand to that, since pretty much every PS2 racing game supports it. Battle Gear 2, for example, doesn't work with Driving Force GT.

I'm probably going to plug the later wheel into my PC, if I can fit it nicely. I should be able to fit the pedals under my desk enough out of the way, and keep the wheel on the stand where I can easily pick it up and attach to the desk whenever it's needed.
Ghegs

Postby 1up » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:47 am

Got a cheap copy of Wave Race: Bluestorm. Only briefly player the N64 one and I liked that a lot so I'm looking forward to playing this one. Looks sharp
1up

Postby lilmanjs » Sun May 11, 2014 9:36 pm

Project Gotham Racing. I've beaten the second one and always curious about the first entry. So far it feels like MSR, but with a better selection of cars.
lilmanjs

Postby 1up » Tue May 13, 2014 4:07 pm

Tokyo Road Race/Battle Gear 2 (ps2)
Ridge Racer Type-4 + Hi-Spec disc (ps1)
1up

Postby Ghegs » Tue May 13, 2014 4:50 pm

Nice! I hope I can lure you into doing some Battle Gear 2 time attack.
Ghegs

Postby gorath23 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:29 am

I also picked up Tokyo Road Race recently, so once I put everything together I'll be up for some Time Attack! Same goes for BG3 when I bite the bullet and order it.
gorath23

Postby Ghegs » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:39 pm

Great, I'd love it if more people get into Tokyo Road Race / Battle Gear 2. Such a quality game and so cheap to acquire.

Just a heads-up, Driving Force GT doesn't work with the game. But as spl has shown, it's possible to be competitive with a pad as well.
Ghegs

Postby Ghegs » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:47 pm

Picked up the Japanese version of Wipeout 3. The PAL Special Edition is good and all, but that 50hz...
Ghegs

Postby Ghegs » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:51 pm

The haul from last couple of weeks. Rumble Racing and Enthusia for PS2, F1 Sensation for Famicom, Midnight Run and Speed King for PS1 and Daytona USA Deluxe for PC.

I mostly got Midnight Run and Speed King because I wanted confirm some things for myself. Speed King also came with a really nifty pin, heh. The rest of the games are for playing, Rumble Racing is really good, F1 Sensation might be the best Famicom racer and I'm looking forward to learning Daytona USA with this version. Even though it was released in the late 90's and designed for Windows 95, it works great with modern systems. It runs without any problems on my 64-bit Win7 and it even works perfectly with a 360 controller. I did have some troubles with getting a wheel working with it, gonna have to see if I can fix that.
Ghegs

Postby louisg » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:47 pm

Yeaaaaah :) Cheapie SoftDisk reprint of Lamborghini American Challenge for DOS! :D

louisg

Postby Ghegs » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:25 pm

The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers book came from a Kickstarter I pledged to over a year ago. Meaty stuff, that'll take a while to get through.

The three Playstation Underground sets were bought because in one of them there's a game made with the Net Yaroze, a development kit intended for hobbyists to program their own PS1 games with. The game in question is Hover Racing (video here), a futuristic racing game in the F-Zero vein.

It is awesome. With some better graphics I think it easily could've been released as a first-gen PS1 title as it is. It runs at 60FPS, has replay saving and ghosts, which is really amazing considering what it is. There's a boost function that's similar to F-Zero and it has a side-boost with a twist - there's four of them, two and left and two on right, on the front and back of the ships. You control these with the shoulder buttons.

There are Grand Prix, there's Time Attack mode, four different ships, nine (I think?) tracks...it's an incredibly full-fledged title. I have some plans regarding the game, hopefully I can see them through...
Ghegs

Postby SamsungMinen » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:10 pm

My most wanted Wii game for a while. I know it's just more TrackMania, abundant on PC (freeware too), but I like my car games on consoles.
Now this is where things get weird. I didn't ask for these...

...but the seller shipped them without asking for permission. Seems he didn't want them either.
Man (or woman), what's with the FIFA games dudes making such insane faces on FIFA games covers? It does 60 Hz, though, so I guess not all is bad.
Ancient This vanished.
SamsungMinen

Postby osaka » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:24 pm

TM on the Wii has different physics iirc, so you might just be up for more funziez.
osaka

Postby louisg » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:34 pm

I just got this in the mail!

Image .. stoked! :)
louisg

Postby SamsungMinen » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:10 am

Purchased the collection with Hydro Thunder and San Francisco Rush 2049 in mind, but the opinions I read about L.A. Rush are so divided I might install that as well.
Plane Crazy is - apparently - an aircraft racing game with some "kart racer"-like qualities. I wonder if SegaSoft released the PSX version too...
Ancient This vanished.
SamsungMinen

Postby lilmanjs » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:55 pm

Haven't played it much since I bought it, but I have Need For Speed Carbon: Own The City on my PSP, and so far I'm enjoying it as much as I have enjoyed the other versions. This one is pretty much an entirely new game since it takes place in a different city and has a few different types of races as well. Hopefully this doesn't turn out to be a turd like the Shift and Pro Street on the PSP.
lilmanjs

Postby Ghegs » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:01 pm

Sega Rally is a slightly older purchase, but I got Outrun 2 SP just today.

Why get this JPN-only, rather expensive release instead of the far more affordable Coast 2 Coast released everywhere on many systems? Because this one has wheel support (the PS2 C2C doesn't) and comes with an OST.
Ghegs

Postby 1up » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:09 pm

Nice! That japanese version is getting pretty expensive and hard to come by
1up

Postby Chaser324 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:01 pm

I'm jealous of that Outrun 2 SP. I didn't even realize that they had done a standalone version of it in JP.
Chaser324

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion