Racing Game Database - corrections & suggestions

Discussion not focusing on a single game or series. Also forum-related matters.

Racing Game Database - corrections & suggestions

Postby Ghegs » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:19 pm

I was about to start working on a list of another system's racing games, when it occurred to me that it might be better to just build a proper database that encompasses all systems. This could be a very helpful tool. For example, lines could look like this:

Keywords would be used to describe what types of racing the game has, so there could be rally, touge, formula, kart, stock car, motorsports, bikes, boats, futuristic, snowboarding...

I'm not sure about some of the columns and whether there's too much or too little, so I'd like some feedback there. What's the sort of information you would want to see in a database like this? What keywords would be useful? Or is the whole thing something that wouldn't be needed at all?
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Re: Racing Game Database

Postby osaka » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:01 pm

I like the idea. We can put a little bit of insight on what we all have played and help each other finding new games to play to kill the time.

Which reminds me of a game I played a lifetime ago and lost in my (many) system migrations:

Rollcage Stage 2, for PS1 and PC. Developed by Psygnosis, released in North America and Europe and of the futuristic style. Think Mario Kart meets Wipeout meets Big Wheels RC (cars were drivable upside down because of their gargadontic wheels). AKA Death Track Racing (on PC)
osaka

Postby 1up » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:47 am

So the idea is to make a complete list of racing games for all systems? There's a few wiki pages out there that tried this and this one has a lot but is far from complete, but maybe we could start with that? Also, mobygames has a pretty good database.

The most important columns for me is:
Name - System - Region

I think notes and keywords could be combined but it also can't be too long so that it takes up fx. 3 rows. With a long list it gets really annoying to read when every other row is a different size.

Is the idea to make a very long list and how is it sorted? or do we split it up into systems?
1up

Postby Ghegs » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:01 am

1up wrote:Is the idea to make a very long list and how is it sorted? or do we split it up into systems?

It's an SQL database, so the list would be as long as your search parameters make it. You could, for example, check the boxes to search for all PS1 and PS2 racing games, check the box for the keyword "touge" and hit Search - this would result in a list with the Battle Gear games, Touge series, the two Tokyo Xtreme Racer Drift games and others. Or you could narrow it down even further by adding "Genki" as the developer and get only the TXRD games.

The problem with Mobygames' list of racing games is that they include games where racing can be done, but nobody would actually think to count the game as a racing title. Like the Grand Theft Auto series, Saints Rows, and so on.

What about the year when the game was released? I think that would useful info to include.
Ghegs

Postby 1up » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:06 pm

sql database, ok, well then we can do whatever as you can select what you want to see.

year of release and developer is good info to have
1up

Postby limbrooke » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:45 pm

I think this is a good idea and would gladly help contribute to it's creation when the call arises.
Including the date released as category would be good to have, it could be included in the keywords section as it's veritable repository for anything not under it's own header.
limbrooke

Postby Ghegs » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:49 pm

Nothing says fun than spending the Saturday putting together a database, figuring out how to use it from a web page, and then filling the said database.

Racing Game Database, in its infant form. It's still lacking good instructions, but I think you can figure it out and play with it. See how it works for you, make suggestions, point out flaws, that sort of thing. I've imported my PS1 racing game list into it and added keywords and other systems the games are on, so there should be plenty to work with for testing purposes.
Ghegs

Postby Ghegs » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:05 pm

Added some instructions and made little tweaks here and there. I think it's looking pretty, functionally anyway.

If you want to help to fill the database, throw me a PM and I'll send you a link to a Google Docs spreadsheet (no sign-in required). I can then take all the new entries from that and import them into the database.
Ghegs

Postby Thunderer » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:38 am

If I may suggest these keywords:
-Track editor (Stunts, Trackmania, Re-Volt, Ridge Racer Unbounded, Midnight Club 2, etc)
-Open-world (or at least have free-roam portion in it; Carmageddon, Midnight Club, Midtown Madness)
-Car customization (more arcadey car customization with visual appearance changes, i.e NFS series starting from Underground, Juiced)
-Car tuning (rough translation: option to tune suspension/gear-ratio/etc, even in the most bare-bones form, like in the ported version of Sega Rally)
-Scoring, either the more traditional 'score as you pass incoming cars' or those that involving blowing up bad guys' car (Chase HQ including Ray Tracers)
Rest in peace Ridge Racer franchise, 1993-2012. Never forget, never forgive.
Thunderer

Postby Ghegs » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:33 am

Oh, those are good suggestions, nice idea there. I'll have to update the current database list with those. The titles I can anyway, some of these require a bit more in-depth knowledge of the games that can't be gleaned just from screenshots alone.

Also, I've been thinking if the current way of showing games for multiple platforms and the regions they've been released in is confusing or misleading. For example:

Even though it says the game was released for Amiga, Mac, PC, PS1, SAT and that it was released in US, EUR, JPN, it doesn't mean it was released in those regions for all those platforms. The Saturn version was never released in US, but it was released in the US for PS1 and PC, but the PC version was never released in Japan...and so on. And the year is for the game's initial release, not the year when all of the ports came out.

Marking the platforms released with their corresponding regions and the correct release years would make the DB a lot more convoluted to read and upkeep, so I think this way is better and cleaner, even if it is slightly inaccurate in a way. You can easily see the platforms and regions a game was released in, you'll just have to do a bit more research to see if it was released for a specific platform in a specific region you're interested in. But that's something I'd appreciate other people's opinions on as well.
Ghegs

Postby Ghegs » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:10 pm

Alright, I went and added another ~100 games to the database and I placed a link to RGDB to the header where it can be easily accessed from anywhere on the site. I'll try to do a little bit of data entry every day, so hopefully this'll get done eventually.
Ghegs

Postby 1up » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:54 pm

it works great. good job.
1up

Postby Ghegs » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:55 pm

A milestone has been reached. The database now has all PS1 and PS2 racing games, bringing the current total to 693 games listed! And since many of those games also have versions on the Gamecube, Dreamcast, Xbox and others, a lot of progress has been made towards the eventual goal of covering every single racing game out there.

PS1 and PS2 are also the two consoles with the biggest amount of racing games available on them (PC is a beast of its own, of course), so every other console from here on will feel much lighter for me, as far as dataentry goes.
Ghegs

Postby 1up » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:05 pm

Good job Ghegs!
1up

Postby itsgood2slide » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:20 pm

Wow! This is really useful! thank you for taking the time to put this together!

Here are a couple of PS2 games that seem to be missing:

Driven To Destruction / Test Drive: Eve of Destruction
Gumball 3000
itsgood2slide

Postby Ghegs » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:03 pm

Great, thanks. I was going through GameFAQ's listings and for some reason they had Gumball 3000 under Action Games rather than Driving Games, so it slipped by me. I also realized I had forgotten to add some non-car racing games like the SSX series, so those have been added now as well.
Ghegs

Postby Ghegs » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:09 pm

No, the project hasn't been forgotten at all. In fact, RGDB has now been updated to include all Dreamcast racing games.
Ghegs

Postby Ghegs » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:15 pm

And now all Gamecube racing games are covered, what little there was left. The system has very few exclusive racing titles, other than F-Zero GX and Mario Kart: Double Dash there's only a small handful and they're pretty forgettable.
Ghegs

Postby Ghegs » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:38 pm

Another update, another system covered. This time the original Xbox's racing offerings have been brought into the database.

Though the data entry-part is pretty boring, thanks to it you do occasionally find these games you've never heard of before. This time I learned of Apex, Lawnmower Racing Mania 2007 and Pulse Racer, in which you can apparently die of a heart attack mid-race.

Yeah, there's often a reason why these games haven't popped up anywhere before...
Ghegs

Postby Ghegs » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:42 pm

All PSP racing games now covered.

The weird entry of the week is Glorace: Phantastic Carnival, a Korean-exclusive racer that's very...colorful. I also discovered Shinseiki GPX Cyber Formula VS, a PSP-exclusive entry to the futuristic racer series, and I hadn't known Shutokou Battle also got a PSP-exclusive version that was even released in the west as Street Supremacy.
Ghegs

Postby osaka » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:27 pm

I wanna be honest about the XBox list. The thing about Pulse Racer is: Is it the in-game character who can die of heart attack? Because it looks like an interesting idea to me.
osaka

Postby Ghegs » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:41 pm

Ghegs

Postby osaka » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:59 pm

Would've been better if the car just kept moving after you get a heart attack. Funny mechanic tho.
osaka

Postby Ghegs » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:12 pm

All Wii games are now covered. Took me longer than I thought it would. Not sure if it's because I've been busy at work or because the system has so many kart-racing games, I mean seriously. Even Heathcliff got his own kart racer on the Wii, not to mention so many other generic animals.

I was really surprised to see Japan got relatively few racing games on the system. Somehow they managed to keep a tighter leash on the quality control.

Some interesting finds this time: Build 'n Race is a Trackmania-clone with a track editor that I think got overlooked due to the actual Trackmania game on the system, Jambo! Safari: Animal Rescue from Sega of all people is based on an earlier arcade game that's kind of like Crazy Taxi, only instead of picking up passengers you're trying to capture and preserve wild life.

Mebius Drive might be a hidden gem, it's a Wiiware title only released in Japan that has futuristic Formula cars. Wish I could try it out. Lastly, NASCAR Unleashed goes totally wild by being an official NASCAR game with tracks that have actual corners! Insane, I know. It's definitely a full-fledged arcade racer and also available on PS3 and Xbox 360, I just might have to pick it up.
Ghegs

Postby Ghegs » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:22 pm

All Sega Saturn games have been included. There wasn't a whole lot of them, and nothing really weird or hidden gem-like that popped out. Lots of good titles, of course.
Ghegs

Postby Ghegs » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:06 pm

Two days of updates in a row! I had a burst of energy and entered all Nintendo 64 racing games to the database. We're approaching 1000 games!

I don't know much about N64 so the system had plenty of "new" discoveries for me. AeroGauge seems decent, but looked to have a horrible draw distance. Beetle Adventure Racing and Automobili Lamborghini seemed alright, especially the former. Iggy's Reckin' Balls is just weird. MRC: Multi-Racing Championship and Rally Challenge 2000, both from Genki, seemed promising as did Off Road Challenge and Stunt Racer 64.

Also, I need a little bit of help. I'm struggling to think of a keyword that would nicely encompass games that have unconventional track design. Jumps, loops, gravity-defying routes, things like that. You can often do tricks in these games that then give you a boost of speed or something. So, I'm looking for suggestions for a keyword that would make you think of games like Nitronic Rush, Trackmania, most Hot Wheels games, Stunt Racer 64 and other games of that sort.
Ghegs

Postby Thunderer » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:33 pm

Off-Road Challenge is basically off-road themed Cruis'n, presumably ported from the arcade version. And Stunt Racer 64...that's reminds me that I'm still looking for an emulator that capable of running it properly.

Jumps, loops, gravity-defying routes, things like that. You can often do tricks in these games that then give you a boost of speed or something. So, I'm looking for suggestions for a keyword that would make you think of games like Nitronic Rush, Trackmania, most Hot Wheels games, Stunt Racer 64 and other games of that sort.

Stunt track/racing? Mobygames used 'Stunt racing' tag for games like those.
Rest in peace Ridge Racer franchise, 1993-2012. Never forget, never forgive.
Thunderer

Postby osaka » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:40 pm

Aero Gauge is a pretty hard game actually, because the tracks have obstacles and stuff, so you have to variate your height over the track, but that also changes your speed.
osaka

Postby Ghegs » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:45 pm

"Stunt Racing" is probably the best and most obvious, thanks Thunderer. I updated the DB accordingly, if I missed any titles, lemme know.
Ghegs

Postby 1up » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:14 am

I have a suggestion for a new column. Is it possible to have a column that specifies if the game has wheel or negcon support?
1up

Next

Return to General Discussion