What are you playing?

Discussion not focusing on a single game or series. Also forum-related matters.

What are you playing?

Postby Ghegs » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:58 am

Thought it might be interesting to hear what racing game everybody's playing.

I'm still playing Ridge Racer Turbo a bit, but the handling is so different from anything else it always takes a while to get back into the groove of it if I take even a day or two off. And I'm not sure I'm motivated enough to keep improving my T.A Long time, even though a perfect run would still shave two or more seconds off my current best.

Been mostly playing Battle Gear 3 recently, which is pretty entertaining, though not as "whee I'm going fast and drifting"-fun as Ridge Racer is. It is very cool racing on Akina though, and I do kind of want to unlock the über-supercharged AE86 I heard about.

I got Dirt 3 Complete Edition for 360 and RayTracers for PS1 coming in, and I've barely touched on Ridge Racer V and Wipeout XL, so I've got plenty of racing ready to go.
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Re: What are you playing?

Postby 1up » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:24 am

I'm playing a little bit of Ridge Racer Turbo, trying to figure out what car suits me. I like grip the most but in the end I'm always faster in the blue car bumping into walls?? Gave up on Sega Rally Revo as I don't have my old save game and I can't get myself to sit down and do long sessions to unlock everything again. Have so much stuff in my backlog, yes I play a lot of different games, and new stuff I'm interested in keep getting released.

Tried Touge Max G briefly and don't know what to think. It has some great graphics for a psx title, but the handling/drifting felt weird to me? Maybe it was because I tried it right after RRT?

Have Dirt3 Complete Edition in the wrapper and I think about getting Sonic Allstars Transformed. Also looking into getting a F-Zero cartridge for my SNES just to see how I compare to those times posted. I completed the game BITD and have forgotten the layout of all the tracks, so it will be an uphill battle.
1up

Postby Ruldra » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:58 pm

In a couple of weeks I will finally be able to play on the PS3. My first priority is to get the platinum on Gran Turismo 5 (about 20 events left), then I plan to start playing Bang Bang Racing. Very enjoyable micro-machines-like racer, great for local splitscreen action. No online multiplayer, sadly.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of the car
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall
Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Ruldra

Postby deca » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:45 am

A lot of Battle Gear 3 lately as Ghegs already knows :) Been having a lot of fun really working on it, I'd messed around in the past but nothing beats direct competition for motivation to learn a game. Very satisfying to learn new tricks and improve my runs on Akina, and it's enjoyable on it's own just for my love of Initial D. I'm interested to find out how much further we can push the times in our Class B cars and eventually maybe move to a higher class or over to Happogahara depending on what people feel like doing.

I've been messing with Touge Max G a little but have yet to really dig in, so far I've found the handling feels a lot more natural in the lighter cars. I also have Touge 3 but am experiencing difficulty getting it to load races as I mentioned over in the Touge thread. I picked up Touge King the Spirits 2 as well but have yet to pull out the saturn and play it.

I want to put more time into Racingroovy, I just got it earlier this week and I'm definitely digging it. It's not quite on par with Ridge Racer (which it seems VERY influenced by) but it has more than enough style and character to make up for it. The handling isn't bad, it just isn't quite as intuitive as RR. If enough people around here have it I was thinking of putting up a time attack thread.

I've been getting back into GT5 a little, a friend at work recently picked it up so I started racing with him every so often. We've been doing Top Gear style challenges to build a car fitting certain criteria under a certain budget and then meeting up online once a week or so to race, it's honestly been a lot of fun.

I've been curious about Raytracers, I almost picked up the Japanese version recently but figured I might as well hold out for the localization. Seriously considering preordering the new Sonic racing game for Wii U since I don't have many Wii U purchases planned before Monster Hunter and also because an Outrun stage is apparently a preorder bonus. Bang Bang Racing also looks pretty cool!
Last edited by deca on Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
deca

Postby Moniker » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:50 am

Playing a lot of GRID; it's really starting to grow on me, especially since I started using Pro Mode, which disables the flashbacks. Now I'm actually beginning to improve my skills instead of just barreling through and cancelling out mistakes. But I still only win races by being a bully and bumping people out of the way, which is par for the course for me in sim-type racing (even though this one is sort of arcadey). Methinks I'm lacking some vital passing techniques.

Also playing some F-Zero GP Legends (GBA), since I was made aware of it by the time attack threads. Handheld F-Zero? Yes, please! Playing it on a gba emulator for PSP, which requires skipping a frame, and makes the minimap all wonky (not really a problem except in the limited visibility stages, where it's a pretty big problem). Hopefully, I can hunt down the actual cart. Already I prefer it to the SNES game, chiefly due to the lack of random cars cluttering up the track.

I'm contemplating getting Daytona USA for XBLA, but after a couple demo runs, I still don't really "get it." Steering seems stiff, and nothing about it strikes me as all that remarkable, but it's such a beloved title that I feel like I'm missing out on something huge.

PS: Is Battle Gear 3 JP-only? How are you guys playing it?
Moniker

Postby deca » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:55 am

Yeah Battle Gear 3 was only released in Japan, I'm just playing it on my fliptopped ps2 with swapmagic.

As for Daytona...if you think the steering is stiff then you're playing incorrectly. The game is all about drift technique and once you start to get it you'll be completely hooked. Daytona USA is very high in the running for my favorite video game of all time.

You need to use Manual Transmission to play Daytona properly. Your basic drift involves shifting from 4th gear straight into 2nd, and then back into 4th when you're aligned for the exit. Every turn is different and optimizing gets you into all sorts of different shifting patterns but that's the basic drift to start from. Check out some replays, you can download from the leaderboards on the XBLA/PSN version.
Last edited by deca on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deca

Postby Ruldra » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:41 pm

deca wrote:I've been getting back into GT5 a little, a friend at work recently picked it up so I started racing with him every so often. We've been doing Top Gear style challenges to build a car fitting certain criteria under a certain budget and then meeting up online once a week or so to race, it's honestly been a lot of fun.

Depending on the time and day, I can take part of this. When I get back to GT5 I'll let you know.

Bang Bang Racing also looks pretty cool!

There's a demo you can try. Played the thing countless times already, either with my brother or when someone comes over, everyone ends up enjoying it. I'm planning a get-together with my friends so I bought the full game to get a 4-people race going.
Ruldra

Postby Moniker » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:21 am

I'm trying to train up for Daytona (XBLA). *Almost* have the last corner on the Beginner's course squared away. I can nail it about 50% of the time (doing the 4/2/4 shifting). Lowest lap time is something like 18.01s. This is using the Time Trial mode, so no competing traffic. Never thought a simple corner could cause this much consternation. I don't even wanna think about the intermediate and advanced courses yet. Freaking amazing game, though.

Aside from that, putting lots of time into F-Zero GP Legends (GBA). Unlocked about 2/3s of the racers after doing story mode and clearing most of the grand prix. Found a few more interesting cornering techniques... I'll have to update my racing treatise. :D

It's pretty interesting that there're such distinct feels b/w 3D and 2D F-Zeros, much like N's other big IPs. Both really great for what they are. I can't see myself going back to the SNES F-Zero after this puppy, though.

Ruldra wrote:
Bang Bang Racing also looks pretty cool!

There's a demo you can try. Played the thing countless times already, either with my brother or when someone comes over, everyone ends up enjoying it. I'm planning a get-together with my friends so I bought the full game to get a 4-people race going.

There's also Little Racers Pro Street (or something to that effect) by Milkstone on XBLIG for only $1. Haven't played it all that much (or Bang Bang, for that matter) but it might be a cool game to play together since anyone can afford it. Milkstone games are usually good, despite being glorified clones.
Moniker

Postby null1024 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:52 pm

Ridge Racer 2 [PSP].

Playing in Arcade mode. The time limit is really strict -- doing the same race in World Tour [without the time limit], I can get through the race and finish in first. Doing it in Arcade, I end up timing out, and because the car starts to slow down if you go over the time limit a little, it messes me up.
things, stuff, more things
null1024

Postby Ruldra » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:58 pm

Giving Gran Turismo 5 another go. I was hoping to get the platinum soon but turns out the remaining events are much more challenging than I thought. I reached a point where I keep trying the same event for hours and I can't even get a silver trophy. It's disheartening...
Ruldra

Postby 1up » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:28 am

Needed my racing game fix and bought DiRT 3 for xbox 360. Loving it so far. Currently blasting through the tour mode and picking and chosing the events to my liking. So far I've been going for regular rally events and trail blazer events and chosing Groub B whenever I can. The sense of speed in this game is incredible and so are the sound and graphics. I'm addicted to the sound of those Groub B cars. Especially that 5 cyl. Audi Quatro S1 :D

PS: Gymkhana is bullshit...
1up

Postby Ghegs » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:27 am

I got Dirt 3 Complete Edition myself a while back and it's pretty fun (Trail Blazer events are very cool), but the Gymkhana events are painful. While I play all the other events at difficulty 3 and most of the assists turned off, for Gymkhana I have to turn the difficulty down to 1...

We should try some multiplayer sometimes. Or do some time attacking, I really like the Monte Carlo tracks.
Ghegs

Postby 1up » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:50 am

Ghegs wrote:I got Dirt 3 Complete Edition myself a while back and it's pretty fun (Trail Blazer events are very cool), but the Gymkhana events are painful. While I play all the other events at difficulty 3 and most of the assists turned off, for Gymkhana I have to turn the difficulty down to 1...

We should try some multiplayer sometimes. Or do some time attacking, I really like the Monte Carlo tracks.

I play 'Intermediate' difficulty and couldn't figure out WHY the modern era rally cars were so hard to control? I kept spinning the damned things. Then I realised it had stability control turned on. :evil: Turned most of it off and now it's much better. I'm up for some time attack. I did 1 already in on the first monte carlo stage in the audi s1 but have no idea what time I set.

Oh how I wish I had a wheel and pedal setup for this game. Will try my wireless speed wheel today and see how that is.
1up

Postby lilmanjs » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:56 am

Lately I've been getting back into the PC version of the old racing game Sports Car GT. if only there was a patch that would fix it so I could play without having to use the software mode. Besides that I've been trying my hardest to get a perfect Grand Prix(winning all races of course) in R4: Ridge Racer Type 4.
lilmanjs

Postby Moniker » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:04 am

Just started playing Bit Generations: Dotstream (GBA) aka Art Style: Light Trax (WiiWare). I didn't play much of the latter, since the perspective shifts gave me a bit of motion sickness (I have a weak stomach, though; it's not nearly as bad as F-Zero GX), but the GBA version is quite excellent for my tastes.

If you don't know about it, it's a minimalistic racer where your vehicle is a beam of light racing against other beams. Generally, all beams go the same speed, and basically your only tactic is choosing a lane. So you have to be very strategic with your resources. Changing lanes and running into obstacles slows you down, while slipstreaming (positioning yourself adjacent to the wake of 1 or 2 beams ahead of you), fills up a power meter, which, if you maintain the stream, eventually builds into a moderate speed increase. The game is chiefly about staying next to one of the beams ahead of you, while avoiding obstacles and hitting boost tiles.

There's also a boost mechanic similar to F-Zero's sequels: you begin with 2 crystals, which serve as both hitpoints and speed boosts. You can also go into a "service pit" each lap, which gives you a ton of crystals, but sets you back significantly against the opposition.

It's quite difficult as well; the GBA version is JP-only, so I highly recommend emulating it or trying out the Wii version with upgraded visuals and sound. The retro chiptune soundtrack is pretty rad in either version.
Moniker

Postby null1024 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:05 am

Sega Ages: Virtua Racing [PS2].

I don't like how odd the car collisions feel compared to the 32X version [the only other one I've extensively played]. It's damn pretty though, looks nicer than the arcade.
null1024

Postby Ghegs » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:38 am

That's the same version that's in Sega Classics Collection, right? I played it a bit, seemed very fun. And drifting in a F1 car is just hilariously awesome.
Ghegs

Postby deca » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:47 pm

I only have experience with the Genesis and Arcade versions. I've almost bought the Saturn version more times than I can remember, though.
deca

Postby Ghegs » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:14 pm

@null1024

Put up some times for Virtua Racing PS2 if you will, it'll give me an excuse to play it again.

Meanwhile, the last online racing meet left me with warm 'n fuzzy feelings so I've been playing some Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing. Starting up the Expert cup, doing some Missions, a lil' time attacking. Fun stuff, albeit a tad easy. Big bonus points for the game for allowing me to disable the items and catch-up on single player, though sadly the Cup races still have them. And it seems the time attack leaderboards are filled with hacked times, as is the norm with many a game. Sad. And pathetic. At least I can still compete with the people on my friends list.

And KAI's tearing down Akina like a banshee, I should get back to Battle Gear 3 as well.
Ghegs

Postby KAI » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:48 pm

Playing Battle Gear 3 right now (I want the 1st position back :evil: ).
I'm not actually playing it, but I can't stop watching this. Someday~
Target Locked! Commence Attack!
KAI
RGDB Contributor

Postby null1024 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:43 pm

Ghegs wrote:@null1024
Put up some times for Virtua Racing PS2 if you will, it'll give me an excuse to play it again.

I would, but I'm doing absolutely terribly. The car feels a lot stranger than I'm used to.

Also, I am still playing it now. It's making me want to go back to practicing Ridge Racer Turbo or Revolution, I'm doing so badly in VR, whereas I feel like I'm getting better at RR.
null1024

Postby Ghegs » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:55 pm

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing checklist:

* Got 1st place in all Cups, in all difficulties
* Got AAA in every Mission
* Beat Staff Ghost in every track in Time Trial

I was disappointed by the Staff Ghosts. By "Staff" it seems that for the ghost times they just pulled in some unpaid intern. From marketing. A far cry from F-Zero GX's bastard Staff Ghosts.

In any case, other than for the occasional multiplayer session and if somebody wants to challenge me for some Time Attack, I'm done with the game.
Ghegs

Postby lilmanjs » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:53 pm

just played some forza 1. At home I've been playin Metroplis street racer(best DC racer) and rush rush rally racing. RRRR has some insanely hard tracks, but overall a great DC racer. wish you could use the secret cars in grand prix.
lilmanjs

Postby null1024 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:26 am

Sega Rally 1995 [PS2].

Timing out right before the finish line on the Mountain stage, aaaaaaaah. Hopefully I can stop screwing up so much so I can put a time up.
I feel loads better about SR95 than VR on PS2, the handling and collision in that game bother the crap out of me.
null1024

Postby 1up » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:25 am

I'm planning a trip to the arcade museum today and plan to play some Out Run, Daytona USA and Sega Rally. They also have virtua Racing but it's nerver turned on.
1up

Postby Ruldra » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:56 pm

Managed to beat most of the remaining events on GT5 and now I'm down to two more events to get the platinum. Unfortunately, those are the two hardest events in the whole game, many players give up when they reach this point. Tried one of them for a while and I got nowhere close to beating it.

Not giving up though!
Ruldra

Postby null1024 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:36 pm

Ridge Racer Revolution [PS1].

Jeeeeez, I love this game. Very pretty, much more forgiving drifting compared to RR1/Turbo [not gearing down for seemingly no reason after exiting a 10 second drift at 120mph], it's soooo goooooood. Been playing it on my PSP, it's so pick-up-and-play, it's perfect for it. Really wanting for a neGcon so I can play this on my PS2, but I have no money this month... :evil:
And the course design is excellent...

I'm trying to get first on the Intermediate course, but I keep finishing in second, and I don't even see the first car anywhere. Driving with the RT Ryuku [the green and red one].

also, I was feeling a bit silly and tried to run Rave Racer in MAME, it seems like it's a really good game, but it runs like crap
Last edited by null1024 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
null1024

Postby Moniker » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:23 pm

Just picked up Forza 4 and played the amateur circuit. Quite liking it so far, although I miss the old GTA days where you had to buckle down and *earn* each performance upgrade by driving in races where you're outmatched, just so you have enough money. F4 has the same upgrade system, but cash is abundant (at least so far), so I haven't had to really push myself to make my base car qualified.
Moniker

Postby null1024 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:21 am

Still playing RR:R [PS1]. Doing a bit crap right now, on Intermediate. I updated my time for Intermediate shortly after making the thread, and I can't get near that time again [it was a pretty good run, although it could have been much better], making stupid, stupid mistakes, not entering/exiting drifts properly, drifting when it'd slow me down too much, etc. Gaaaaaaah.
null1024

Postby Moniker » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:14 am

null1024 wrote:Still playing RR:R [PS1].

Got this up and running on my PSP finally. No music, and popsloader wants me dead. No worries, though. Put the Dandy Warhols on my ipod and I'm set (any of their albums makes a killer racing soundtrack, btw).

Wasn't what I expected. Cars handle ultra funky compared to RR4 or the PSP reboots, as the turning radius is quite small. Having a lot of trouble getting settled into it, but sooner or later I'll suss it out. Visibility is also a problem. The dashboard view helps somewhat, but I'm turning far too early and nicking every corner.
Moniker

Next

Return to General Discussion