No votes
Burnout Dominator
No votes
Burnout Paradise
16%

Total votes : 19

Best Burnout?

Postby Ghegs » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:52 pm

So what's your favorite Burnout game? Personally, I think the second game is the best in the series. Though I must admit that I haven't played the sequels extensively (except for Paradise), the little I did play them and what I've seen online it seems like they took the focus away from driving and more towards crashing, to the point of rewarding it.

Also I found the graphics a bit problematic, the first time I played Burnout 3 it felt like there was glare reflecting from everything and I couldn't see whether I was heading towards an opening or a brick wall.

Paradise was alright. Didn't set my world on fire and I couldn't be bothered to find all the billboards, but still.

(I'm leaving Burnout Crash! out of the poll since it's not an actual racing game.)
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Re: Best Burnout?

Postby bVork » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:57 am

I'd say Burnout Revenge on 360. Yes, it rewards crashing, but it rewards it with a point, especially in the wonderful traffic attack mode. The Burning Lap and other race-oriented modes do heavily penalize crashing still, to the point where you might as well just restart on later Burning Lap runs if you crash at any point.

On 360, the higher resolution and cleaned up graphics make it much easier to see what's in the distance, alleviating the problem that Burnout 3 and the PS2/Xbox version of Revenge had in that regard. While it's not racing per-se, the crash mode was also improved through the removal of the stupid "golf swing" meter.

That isn't to say it's perfect. There's a fairly stupid rating system that is separate from your actual race standing, which is heavily dependent on how many takedowns you do. That means that if you're awesome and stay in first place throughout a whole race, you'll actually end up with a worse rating than if you hang back and crash the competition a bit first. It's stupid. But even with that problem, I still think the game is the best in the series. And I haven't even gotten to the track design, which is uniformly excellent and rewards intelligent risk-taking with interesting shortcuts.
bVork

Postby Ghegs » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:52 pm

I went and gave Burnout Revenge's demo on XBL a go.

Good god.

Granted, it's only a demo, and granted, there's only one playable mode in it - Road Rage - but it made me want to stay as far away from the full game as possible. It was pretty much exactly what I don't like in my racers. The mode's whole point is to just ram other cars, you can drive head-first to an oncoming SUV and they'll just bounce away while you barely slow down yourself and thanks to the "kill-cam" you're not even in control half the time, you're watching the other cars crashing while your own car is on autopilot.

The visuals are cleaner and it's easier to see where I'm going, I'll give it that much. The Burning Lap seems cool, but otherwise that game definitely isn't my cup of tea.
Ghegs

Postby 1up » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:40 am

It was a tough choice between Burnout 2 and Burnout 3: Takedown. The games felt so rewarding. After each race you always unlocked something. I eventually chose Burnout 3: Takedown as it's the one I've spent the most time with. I didn't like Burnout 3: Revenge that much, most like for the same reasons as I think Ghegs has. Ramming traffic to gain boost just didn't sit right with me. If you hit something you crash! That's how I like it.

Didn't like Burnout Paradise at all. I played through it and haven't touched it since.
1up

Postby Username » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:20 pm

Definitely Burnout 3: Takedown for me.
Username

Postby Moniker » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:36 pm

Haven't put enough time into Burnout 2 yet to judge, but I've spent more time on Burnout 3 than any other racer. Love all the diverse modes. Too much emphasis, perhaps, on wrecking other cars, but it sure is fun. I was playing crash mode back in the day and my mom stopped in to watch - she almost had a panic attack from reliving an accident in her teens. That's some major points for realism. ;)

As for Burnout Paradise, I think I could get into it more if the interface were better. I hate it when I pull up to an intersection and I don't have the right car, and need to find my way back to the depot to get it (and I don't know the roads well enough yet to have a good handle on how to best switch up cars). Maybe it's sort of like Mega Man - more fun once you have the whole game basically figured out.
Moniker

Postby deca » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:50 pm

Objectively I'd have to say 2 is the best, but my personally favorite will always be the original. I voted for 2. 3 is excellent for hat it is but I've always been irked that it's such a violent departure from what the series had been to that point, all the charm and blatant arcade influence is absent. Still, it's a great game and I played the hell out of it, I love it as its own game.

I have played the full version of Revenge and I outright dearest it, every aspect down to the abysmal front end turned me of to that game in a hurry. All the game seems to care about is crashing and the tracks are an absolute mess in an attempt to push the whole vertical thing.

I've enjoyed Paradise but only when I'm not trying to do any serious racing.
deca

Postby Moniker » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:31 am

Picked up Dominator & Legends for PSP (read Burnout 2 & 3 portable). I love portable gaming even at home, so these seem pretty freaking ideal. Anyone else dig on 'em?
Moniker

Postby njiska » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:13 pm

I personally tend to think that Burnout 3 is not only the best of the Burnout series, but also one of the greatest non-sim racing games ever made. It's one of only 4 games in my personal Top 5. Here's my best attempt at explaining why.

1. Escalation
Burnout 3, like Burnout 2 before it, took what the previous games had done and then built upon and expanded that foundation. Revenge was the point where you started to see the series take regression.

2. The Music
Music is important for setting the mood of a racing game and Burnout 3's soundtrack is just amazing. Easily the best of an EA Trax compliation, it always got you going no matter what mode you were playing.

3. Sense of Speed
A good sense of speed is so important for creating exhilaration, but more often then not when a speedo says 200 mph, it actually feels like 60. Burnout 3 doesn't have this problem. I'll never forget the feeling I had the first time I was given the US Circuit Racer and told to do a burning lap. It was great and only topped later with the Euro Curcit.

4. Track design
Burnout 3's tracks are solid. Maybe not the greatest, but certainly fun to race on. Traffic in particular was a real threat and made the game feel so alive. This was lost in Revenge when they decided you could ram anyone from behind without penalty. It took away most of the fun.

5. Modes
Burnout 3 gives you pretty much every kind of race you could want. Traditional lap races, Point-to-point, Road Rage destruction derbys, elimitation races, time trials, etc. No matter what kind of racing you prefer, you had options.

6. Crash Mode
Best in the series and still an incredibly fun party concept. Basically took crash mode from Burnout 2 and made it in to even more of a puzzle. I really wish this mode would comeback. Showtime in Paradise just doesn't compare.

7. The World Tour
It's long, it's varied, it mixes all race and crash types. It's solid.

8. Online
It's dead now, what with the death of Xbox Live and no one playing on PS2, but Burnout 3's online multiplayer was good. So good infact that it lasted right up till the death of Xbox Live.

9. Challenges
The Signature Takedowns and Trophy collection add a little more incentive to experiment with the game and feel very rewarding.

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, but my argument basically boils down to this: Burnout 3 may not be the best game at anyone aspect, but when it's all put together in one package it because extremely difficult to compete with. I lost a weak of college to this game when it came out and I am not ashamed of that. Burnout 2: Point of Impact is definitely a close second.
njiska

Postby Shadowhedgy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:26 am

I also agree with Burnout Takedown. Burnout Paradise is great, but the Online system is a mess, and the 360 version takes a lot of time to load, even installed on the HDD.
"Gotta go faster!!!"... // It´s not about the destination, it´s about the journey we take... and the checkpoints in betweeen.
[Bs.As. - Argentina]
Shadowhedgy

Postby Ghegs » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:15 pm

bVork convinced me on IRC that Burnout Dominator isn't too shabby, so I picked up the PS2 version for a €10 a while back.

I did not realize I was buying an Avril Lavigne megamix collection.

Pros:
Playlist settings allows me to remove Girlfriend from being played.
Setting to turn off takedown camera.

Cons:
No 16:9 support? Even Burnout 2 had it.
Not really a fan of the event-based World Tour mode.
Can't see anything from all the glare and shiny.
Heavy focus on crashing and driving dangerously for the sake of it.

I can't put my finger on exactly what, but the driving feels a bit different compared to Burnout 2. Then again, it has been a while since I've played it.

So yeah, not a fan of Dominator. Not a big surprise.
Ghegs

Postby osaka » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:40 pm

Here's my take on the topic. But first, some biases:
1.- I've only really played Paradise, which is absolutely amazing.
2.- I've always wanted to have Burnouts 3 and 4 because I played the XBOX demos for them. Sadly, my PS2 emulator needs something bigger than an i5 with an nVidia GT540 to run smoothly somehow.
3.- I've spent about 2 rt days of my life in the burnopedia.

Here's what I think: Paradise comes here trying to reinvent burnout back to what it was in 3 but with the posibilities an open world can offer. IMO, they only lack 1 thing, and it's the checkpoints they implemented in Most Wanted - After a couple of hours, all the races become just a search of a prefixed, straightforward route to the finishline you know from previous races. 4 was AWESOME, but traffic checking was indeed too happy - I don't care it's from behind, if I'm doing 185 and crash against a semi, my car becomes wrecked INSTANTLY, unless the semi is going at the highly implausible speed of 184. I did, however, like the fact that you could use the Crashbreaker after a big crash, because it gave more opportunities of aftertouch takedowns, which are much needed when using a lower tier car. 4 also has the upper hand on 3 for graphics, but that's about it.
You realise after not much time that paradise is basically a memorial for the entire series: Kitano Hydros Techno, for example, sports the license plate "B2-JP-CC" (Burnout 2 - Japan - Custom Coupe) and it's basically the same car. White Mountain and I88 are mentioned, as well as Big Surf. The Watson W16-25 Revenge is the Revenge Sports or something like that from Revenge. It comes with 3 nitrous styles, Speed (which is BO1-2 boost), Attack (Which is BO3-R boost) and stunt (which is a simple nitrous). The cop cars have the cop code that cop cars in 2 have. It does a pretty good job at representing the rest of the games, but it fails in the circuits. I still have a lot of fun with it though.
Burnout 3 seems like a pretty "basic" game meant to have absurd amounts of fun: Fast paced racing on cars that can destroy each other with a huge nitrous tank and pretty good circuits and intersections to crash. Crash mode was indeed better in Revenge (MUCH better, I'll add), but it's not a big deal. The story mode seems to be the larger of them all (I played a bit at a friend's and couldn't get more than 2% done) and the car amount is pretty reasonable.

But as I said, I've only really played Paradise, and it actually only has 1 downside. My vote, upon further investigation, remains null.
osaka

Postby SamsungMinen » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:27 am

I liked what little Paradise I played, but it felt a bit detached from the arcade roots. More like an action-adventure game.
1-2-3, however, I played a lot and I can't honestly say I like one best. Those excel at different things each.
In single player modes, 3 is about Burning Laps, 2 is about Time Attack and 1 is about Survival.
As for multi player, 1 has got pretty rad split screen. Not sure about 3, but I suppose that in 2 Crash is where it's at.

What I need to accentuate is that 2 is NOT exactly "Burnout done better". The music and sound are worse, the graphics are, yes, better, yet in a different style. Above all, the gameplay is tweaked for the sake of making it more showy (cheaper boost, easier near-missing), but it feels not as tense as a result. Near-missing in particular feels like ticking the boxes or collecting power-ups in 2, whereas in 1 it was more risky.
2 has very pretty lighting and distance effects. Maybe living in a damp area where such fog is in abundance did it for me, but when I see Burnout 2, I think of daylight and when I see daylight, I think of Burnout 2. I also like how "phat air" gives me boost in 2. Sort of miss it while I play 1 these days.
Oh yes, you never respawn driving upstream in 1, which does happen in 2. One more trade-off between "tense" and "showy".
1 has the moody European computer music-style soundtrack and... I'm not sure why, but car crashes seem more violent than in most other car games (including its sequels). If I had to come up with a monosyllable subtitle in the vein of DiRT and Blur, it would be Snuff.
3 I would name Burnout 3: Dementia, because it was a game about driving even less reasonably than in 1 and 2. No idea how I'd like it nowadays, but it certainly worked for me at some point. Interestingly, I play 1&2 in FPP mode, but used to play 3 in the default camera mode (and have never seen anybody doing otherwise; even the sickest Burning Laps runs appear to be recorded this way, thus I assume played like that as well).
Ancient This vanished.
SamsungMinen

Postby Marc » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:13 pm

2 by a short distance. 1 is more tense and sober, but 2 took the boost, ran with it, and created tracks that just begged to be linked from start to finish. Managing to loop the Airport track with something like +20 over five laps was just so exhilerating. I hated Paradise on release, but tried again recentlt to see if time would have dulled my disappointment. It hasn't. Open world racing simply doesn't work for me - the most important thing in any racer is that the tracks are memorable. When it's point A to B by any means, it doesn't generate the rush I love about a good racer, and how can it?
Marc

Postby osaka » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:13 am

It's easy - Get to the top tier, race with the Annihilator Phoenix*. Every car is so much more faster than yours and you don't get to have headlights, so even with the stupid AI the game has it can be quite a challenge.

*Note: Annihilator Phoenix' stats are a bit worse than it's original counterpart except for boost, managing a ridiculous 4-8-6 in a place of the game you already have 10 boost speed cars. It's amazing for Road Rage tho.
osaka

Postby brachus » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:12 am

Def. Burnout Paradise. Loved the open world, found nearly all billboards too.
brachus

Postby SamsungMinen » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:08 pm

I feel tempted to call Paradise "Midnight Club II done worse", but I resist. Mostly because the handling is so different (and restarting in MCII is as immediate as you can ask for).
Ancient This vanished.
SamsungMinen

Postby d123456 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:00 am

I selected b2. Followed by b1.
b2 has very good playability and the graphics look very clean. It is still very clear to see everything.
from 3 and upwards it becomes the 4th of July (meaning fireworks) all kinds of effects that block the road. MAny people like that though.
d123456

Postby osaka » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:16 pm

SamsungMinen wrote:I feel tempted to call Paradise "Midnight Club II done worse", but I resist. Mostly because the handling is so different (and restarting in MCII is as immediate as you can ask for).

Maybe it's because my copy of Paradise is PC, but I've never waited for a restart in Paradise. What I do not do anymore is race, I can beat everyone down to the finish in a Annihilator Phoenix, which has:
1.- No speed whatsoever
2.- No headlights of any kind
3.- Way too much weight to be actually drivable in tight places
4.- Not enough boost to make up for all of this
(As said, 4-8-6 when you have a 5-10-3 car is NOT a racing car)
osaka

Postby Emo Fox Jet Pilot » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:33 am

Burnout Revenge is hands down the best one. I only owned the PS2 version, until it got so scratched up and it wouldn't load any more. I haven't spent enough time with the Xbox 360 version to judge that. Sure the game was ridiculous with traffic checking, but that's what made it loads of fun. Not to mention the 8 player party crash mode was fun too with a full party.
Emo Fox Jet Pilot

Postby JasonNorin » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:25 am

for me, Burnout 3: Takedown will always be the best..
JasonNorin

Postby wizkid » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:41 am

Moniker wrote:Picked up Dominator & Legends for PSP (read Burnout 2 & 3 portable). I love portable gaming even at home, so these seem pretty freaking ideal. Anyone else dig on 'em?

i'm playing legends atm, and it's not bad. though chase and other non-racing modes got old pretty fast. also some tracks are impossible to see, not sure if it's the fault of the game or psp's screen.
wizkid

Return to Burnout