A Chronological Exploration of the Need for Speed Series

From the first in the series to the latest Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted

A Chronological Exploration of the Need for Speed Series

Postby itsgood2slide » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:01 pm

Over the past few years I have been buying Need for Speed games, but I have spent very little time playing them. In fact, there are only two games I would say I have played extensively: Need for Speed II and Most Wanted (2012), and only two more that I have played for perhaps a few hours: Hot Pursuit (2010) and Shift 2: Unleashed.

I am now going to play each of them in chronological order, starting with The Need for Speed (which I have on PS1, but is also available on 3DO, PC and Saturn). I hope to complete each game, or at least each one I am enjoying, so it will take me quite some time to get through them all! I will post my impressions in this thread, and I am hoping that some of you might like to play some of them at the same time and see how they hold up today.

Whether you have the means to play it right now or not, do indeed share your thoughts and/or memories of the game that started this juggernaut of a series: Road & Track Presents: The Need For Speed!
itsgood2slide

Re: A Chronological Exploration of the Need for Speed Series

Postby itsgood2slide » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:13 pm

Title
Road & Track Presents: The Need for Speed

Developer
Pioneer Productions and EA Canada

Format
PS1

Peripheral
neGcon

Progress
Won all C class and B class races in Tournament mode

Impressions
The handling is surprisingly sim-like; the fastest way through a corner seems to be to maintain traction and not to drift.

The camera cuts to a third person, elevated view if you crash your car slides by about 90 degrees, which helps you get back on track, although it is a bit disconcerting the first it happens.

I have had a lot of fun getting to grips with the cars. Winning seems to be a combination of the right car (Supra for C class, Viper for B class) and then getting the braking right, which massively affects how much speed you carry in through the corner. This seems to be a game in which utilising analogue braking is of equal (if not more) benefit to analogue acceleration (which I would have said is unlike the norm, even in sim racing - in most games I am much more conscious of needed to modulate my accelerator input, especially on the arcade-side of things).

The tournament mode requires you to win a race on each track, which can be attempted in any order. There is one circuit and one point-to-point race for each car class (and a seventh track is unlocked upon winning them all). It is not really a tournament as such then, and oddly there does not seem to be any way of keeping track of which races you have already won.

I found the setup of the point-to-point races quite interesting. They are held over three stages, with a grid start at the beginning of each stage based on your position at the end of the previous. The winner of the race is not necessarily the first car to reach the finish of the final stage, but whomever has the shortest total time for the three stages. You can restart each stage individually, but you will have to start from the back of the grid if you do so. This leads to some difficult decisions. For example, having won the first stage you might come 4th on the second stage, leaving you second overall. Do you retry the second stage (from the back of the grid, rather than the front) in the hope of improving your time, or do you back yourself to be able to win the final stage with enough of a margin to win overall?

The first track, Rusty Springs Raceway, is a great example of game design. The first corner is so wide and banked that it offers no challenge at all, and simply lets you get a feel for the controls. Next up is a mild chicane to let you get used to shifting the steering direction, and then you have a tighter turn that you can just about do flat out which leads to a clearly tighter final turn which you clearly must brake for. It looks simple, but it is really well designed and is essentially the game's tutorial.

The second circuit, Autumn Valley Speedway, increases the difficulty with tighter turns and significant elevation change. Like Rusty Springs, its final corner steps up the difficulty, this time by removing the banking. The sequence of corners 4 and 5 is also quite tricky, so you have two key challenges per lap, rather than Rusty's one.

In the relatively early days of 3D racing games (1994 for the original 3DO version), I really feel like the developers are setting a very good standard for track design here.

Additional notes
The highlights replay option is welcome, given the length of the races, and it does a good job of picking key moments in the race like overtakes and collisions.

I do not remember if this was something I already knew, but the game was developed by the same team responsible for first two Test Drive games, and I immediately got the sense that this was the case from the nature of the in-car view that the game defaults to, and from the point-point open-road stages ahead of me.

The Road & Track elements provide a surprisingly in-depth analysis of the cars in the game. This was more than just a brand slapped on the box to sell more copies; it really adds a sense of passion for the subject matter of the game.

Next stage
To complete the A class races of the tournament and unlock the bonus track.
itsgood2slide

Postby Ghegs » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:19 pm

Very cool project. I haven't played the early NFS' much, if at all, so I can't really tell any thoughts of my own until a bit later. Hopefully others will.
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby bVork » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:15 am

Your writeups are always fascinating, itsgood2slide.

I think you (and everyone else reading this) might find DF Retro's recent video on the various versions of the original NFS quite interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjLXLhaGfFA
bVork

Postby itsgood2slide » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:38 pm

Ah yes! That popped up in my YouTube feed, but I wanted to wait until I had been able to dive into the game and experience it first hand. Its Test Drive roots do come through even more clearly in the original 3DO version.

I wonder whether its release being staggered over three calendar years in addition to having debuted on an undesirable console were significant contributing factors to The Need For Speed failing to make a lasting impression. Unlike, say, the equally forgotten and/or ignored original Street Fighter, this game is actually very good!
itsgood2slide

Postby itsgood2slide » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:23 pm

Title

Format
PS1

Progress
Won both A class races in Tournament mode and won the bonus race

Impressions
Moving up to A Class presented a significantly greater challenge, and I spent over an hour playing each event before I was able to win the races. This was partly because the tracks are much more challenging (see below), but also because the 'rubber band' AI was much more apparent; winning was very much a case of absolutely nailing the latter stages of a race, while the first half of the race was of no importance at all. A couple of good corners is all it takes to get yourself into third place, but sustained precision driving is required to catch and pass the leaders. A bad crash and/or some donuts early on can actually be beneficial because this causes the pack to bunch up, so not only can you breeze your way back into third, the next two cars are much closer. If you are lucky, the leaders might even trip over one another due to the bunching effect, so sometimes you can find yourself going from the back to front in the space of a couple of corners. Overall though, this severe degree of catch-up combined with an 8 lap race resulted in a rather frustrating experience at times; you just have to tell yourself that the first 5-6 laps are your chance to practice, and then hope you will not be a victim of the aggressive AI drivers and some unpredictable collision physics as you try to nail the final laps.

Anyway, let's have a look at the game's third circuit, Vertigo Ridge:

It may not be immediately apparent from the track maps that Vertigo Ridge is another step up in difficulty, but it most certainly is. There is no longer any banking to help you round the corners, and there is even some adverse camber to negotiate. The elevation changes are also much more significant, most notably the climb at turn seven leading to a blind crest at eight which is immediately followed by the steep twisting descent of nine (which really becomes two corners due to a crest half way down), and if you survive that downhill section you will then need to quickly stabilise the car in time to negotiate the hairpin waiting for you at the bottom. There is no time to catch your breath, however, because by the end of 10 you find yourself in a dark wooded area with a chicane to negotiate. It is actually quite difficult to see the track limits in this section so it took me quite a while to stop hitting the invisible walls and then a while longer to find a good line to end the lap well.

The track design is really strong once again, with a good rhythm of difficulty. The first half of the lap gives you breathing space between the tough corners, before you launch into the aforementioned relentless rollercoaster that follows. I also like how turn 10 is a more challenging version of turn 3, which was a more challenging version of turn 1; each time the corner gets longer, tighter, and gives you less time to settle the car in advance.

Having won the tournament, I was then able to access the bonus track, Lost Vegas:

This was a really nice reward: an opportunity to leave reality behind and unleash the power of the A Class cars on a wide, banked, futuristic track that would not seem out of place in a Wipeout title. Winning the tournament event here was incredibly straightforward and a nice way to let off some steam.

Additional notes
The point-to-point courses also follow similar design principles to the circuits, but I am not in a position to analyse them in such detail given their length and the relative lack of time I spent with them.

There is no option to calibrate the I or II buttons on the neGcon, so I had to press I all the way in to get full acceleration. This is not such a problem as for the PS2's analogue buttons, but I did have a sore thumbnail by the time I had completed the tournament! You can calibrate the maximum steering angle and deadzone though, which is always welcome.

I also did a quick race in the head-to-head mode which features (a little bit of) traffic and police cars. It seemed to be the case that the police car just has to overtake you in order to pull you over. Once the police car was ahead of me I was not able to accelerate any more. I was able to resume the race after receiving my speeding ticket. I doubt I will play much more of this mode.

Next stage
Try the various modes that are unlocked with cheat codes. I am particularly interested in what exactly the rally mode entails...
itsgood2slide

Postby itsgood2slide » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:05 pm

Title

Format
PS1

Progress
Tried rally mode and the various other cheats.

Impressions
The rally mode was mostly as expected: the same tracks, but with the road replaced with dirt or gravel, much like the equivalent mode unlocked at the end of Capcom's Group S Challenge. There was one exception: Rusty Springs becomes the Egyptian themed Oasis Springs, changing the scenery and altering the track layout slightly by tightening the bottleneck between the trackside rocks between turns 3 and 4.

The weird thing about rally mode is how much easier the game becomes. Sliding round the corners is not only a breeze, but you can also carry more speed as you do so. I was breaking my hard-earned records on my first try, and in some cases I was beating times set in the A class Diablo with the C class Supra! I decided not to save to the memory card to preserve my real records because the simpler handling in this mode is not something I will be exploring further.

There are various other cheats, such as adding an invisible weapon to your car which you fire using the horn button. This could perhaps be amusing in split screen, but the AI opponent was not shooting back.

Another cheat activates 'arcade mode' which simplified the handling and allowed for much higher cornering speeds. Most corners no longer required braking.

Additional notes
Ummm... has anyone else here at rolling start played this game? If so, it would be great to hear from you before I move onto NFS2!

Next stage
Try the two exclusive tracks in The Need for Speed: Special Edition on PC.
itsgood2slide

Return to Need for Speed