Daytona USA Time Trial

Save and share your best times here!

Daytona USA Time Trial

Postby FIL » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:05 pm

Gentlemen, start your engines. Let's go away and start pounding pavement as we go sky high to find the king of speed.

It's the Daytona USA time trial thread. Post your fastest times for the 3 original Daytona USA tracks. This will be a combined table for AT and MT. I'm not currently differentiating between time trial and race times but if anyone objects we can discuss making a change.

To access time lap mode on the arcade version hold start and press the accelerator on the transmission select screen.

Submission format:
Tell me which track you raced on then post your record like so:

Name - Time - Transmission - Version

Beginner - 777 Speedway - Fastest Lap

Advanced - Dinosaur Canyon - Fastest Lap

Expert - Seaside Street Galaxy - Fastest Lap

Beginner - 777 Speedway - Total Time

Advanced - Dinosaur Canyon - Total Time

Expert - Seaside Street Galaxy - Total Time

Last edit: updated 9/10/2015.
Last edited by FIL on Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 22 times in total.
FIL

Re: Daytona USA Fastest Laps

Postby FIL » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:10 pm

To get the ball rolling here are my times.

Beginner
FIL - 0'17"42 - MT - XBLA

Advanced
FIL - 0'43"96 - MT - XBLA

Expert
FIL - 1'43"89 - MT - XBLA
FIL

Postby deca » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:20 pm

Advanced
DEC - 0'42"54 - MT - XBLA

This is the fastest lap I have a record of (I may be able to dig up a screenshot for it as well), it wasn't on my fastest overall time though. I may have beat it but can't say for sure. If there's enough activity here I'm sure I'll get roped back into playing and hopefully improve on this and have a screenshot to prove it.
deca

Postby 1up » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:48 am

Beginner
1up - 0'17"73 - AT - Model 2 Emulator
1up

Postby 1up » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:55 pm

Expert
1up - 1'49"28 - MT - Arcade

1up

Postby FIL » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:29 pm

Updated. I'll switch to the proper format this week too.
FIL

Postby thechop » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:00 pm

Been giving this a go this morning sadly I need more practice on the other 2 tracks to get a worthy laptime lol.

Beginner

thechop 0'17"04 MT Arcade.
thechop

Postby FIL » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:31 pm

Sorry I've not been around to update this. I'll get right on it tonight.

EDIT: We're up to date. Still no idea how to use the proper table tags though.
FIL

Postby FIL » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:20 pm

Updating this with my latest time trial best laps.

Beginner
FIL - 0'17"32 - MT - XBLA

Advanced
FIL - 0'43"56 - MT - XBLA

Expert
FIL - 1'39"89 - MT - XBLA

Join in and let's pad these tables out a bit.
FIL

Postby alanrotoi » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:55 am

Hi! I wrote down my records on Advanced and Expert tracks back in 1999. It was in the arcardes so I don't have any screen or proof then it's no problem if you don't take it.

My best records until October 99 are:
Advanced (4 laps): 2:57.25
Expert (2 laps): 3:15.76

I wrote a record of a neighbour to motivate me to beat his records but never could. He did 3:13.90 in expert.

I raced several tournaments from 1998 to 2000.
The first was managed by a TV program called "Nivel X". I got 1st place in Beginner 8 laps track and won a PS1 (yay!)
Few months later I participed in another tournament in the same arcades but organized by the owners. I took 1st place (Advanced 4 laps) and only had a plastic trophy but it was the hardest competition. There were the best racers I ever see (at least two of them I concidered better than me). All of them had +30 y/o and I only 17 :D.
Then in October/November 1999 I participed in the best organized competition. It was a national level competition of the known (in Argentina) arcade house "Sacoa". The fixture was a winner of each Sacoa's local arcade house in the country goes to a semifinals/final match. I won the local (Advanced 10 laps) and went to the semis and finals in November 1999. I won the tournament (Advanced 40 laps) and it was one of the most exciting moments in my life because it was a huge event.
Year 2000 the second national tournament of Sacoa. I won the local again but in the finals I had the 3rd place :( (Advanced 10 laps, I guess)
In the last months of 2000 I raced in another (and the last) tournament again in my neighbour but this time I took 2nd place (Beginner 8 laps). It was ironic because this time I was the oldest racer and also couldn't win.

I guess from 1998 to 2000 I spent about US$400

My performance was a fusion of my way of playing and the way a friend of mine played. I had real good skills but my friend knew how to crash the car and make yours fly and slow a lot meanwhile his car was without a scratch. I combined good skills + crashing cars. It's necesary to know how to crash cars because the last car always runs faster than the first so sooner or later they will reach you no matter your skills. It wasn't against the rules, it's not a hack :D.
alanrotoi

Postby Ghegs » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:15 pm

FIL, how about adding in total time for full Time Attack runs (8/4/2 laps for Beginner/Advanced/Expert), instead of just single lap times?

I'd be using the Daytona USA Deluxe PC port from '97. It's just extremely convenient and works nicely on modern computers, even if it runs at only 30fps.
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby deca » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:39 pm

Advanced
DEC - 0'42"50 - MT - Arcade

I can also find total times if you'd like to add tables for that, I try to keep photos of my records.
deca

Postby FIL » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:32 pm

I'm a bit swamped this week but if people want a general time attack thread I'll rearrange everything this weekend. Might even get back into daytona myself to fill up the bottom of the table.
FIL

Postby deca » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:01 am

I just set a ridiculous new overall time PB for myself so I'll look forward to that haha
deca

Postby Ghegs » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:20 pm

Advanced
Ghegs & 0:46:44 & MT & PC

Did around 30 laps in free run. I think I'm slowly getting the hang of it.

In the last lap of the session I did the left turn best I've ever done, and all the other corners were solid as well. I was looking at high 44-45:xx lap time. And then I spun out on the last corner...

Still using the PC Deluxe port. I tested the XBLA version as well and my times were pretty much the same, but I did feel a slight difference in the handling. I couldn't pinpoint what exactly was different (might've just been XBLA version's 60fps vs PC port's 30fps). If anybody wants to comment on the port's legibility for this sort of thing, that'd be great.

The port does allow you to fine tune the car's settings a bit (soft/hard suspension, front/back height..) but I haven't touched those. There are also a bunch of different cars to choose from, but I've been using the default Hornet one.
Ghegs

Postby Ghegs » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:27 pm

Well, after some more experimentation I'm going to have to say that the Daytona USA Deluxe port on PC is too different to be legit in this thread. I did 40 minutes of free running on that, and I got my Advanced lap time down to 45:60. A bit later I went and tested the XBLA version again, and there are enough differences that the PC port just can't quite be comparable when it comes time attack results.

The handling feels sharper in the PC port, yet I was consistently taking corners with greater speed in the XBLA version. I even spotted a little difference in the track itself, the long right corner right after start not only appears different, but it can be taken closer to the wall in the PC port. I can't be absolutely sure, but I think the acceleration was a hair faster on XBLA too.

I managed to get a lap time of 45:26 on XBLA version with some glaring mistakes. The times between the PC version and Arcade/PSN/XBLA versions aren't comparable in my opinion. That's a bummer, because it was extremely convenient for me and I could be starting on Dinosaur Canyon in ~10 seconds whenever I felt like it. But I'm going to be playing the XBLA version now.

Advanced
Ghegs & 0:45:26 & MT & XBLA

But if somebody wants to TA the PC version with its exclusive tracks and vehicles, I'm up for that. Even if the times aren't comparable to other versions, it can still exist in its own little bubble.
Ghegs

Postby deca » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:02 pm

Advanced
DEC & 0:42:48 & MT & Arcade

two hundredths faster :B
deca

Postby Ghegs » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:42 pm

Ohh yeaah. Starting to get the hang of it.

Advanced (Lap)
Ghegs & 0:43:92 & MT & XBLA

Advanced (Course)
Ghegs & 3:06:04 & MT & XBLA

My 360 just refused to keep a Live connection alive when I was playing this time, so it wouldn't update the leaderboards. And apparently the game doesn't know how to update the leaderboards with current times after a connection is re-established. How annoying. Good thing I record everything.

EDIT: My time seems to be there now, so I guess the game updates the leaderboards with local records whenever you boot up the game?
Ghegs

Postby deca » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:51 am

Nice! Good job man you're definitely getting it now :)

You should be able to take that down to at least 43.5 or so before you absolutely need to learn the final corner tech, but hit me up on chat somewhere if you want me to start trying to breaking it down. I need to add what I've learned recently to the guide at some point.
deca

Re: Daytona USA Time Trial

Postby FIL » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:41 pm

Tables updates. I've added total times as well. I'd better start playing again before Ghegs overtakes me.
FIL

Postby Ghegs » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:25 pm

I'm coming for ya!

Advanced (Total Time)
Ghegs & 3:04:98 & MT & XBLA
Ghegs

Postby deca » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:37 pm

Oh I guess you can switch my name for the lap record from DEC to deca, since it seems like everyone else is just using full names.

Advanced (Total Time)
deca & 2:57:10 & MT & Arcade

deca

Postby Ghegs » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:54 pm

deca, you fastest time on the XBLA version is 2:56:56? But man, your consistency there is scary, look at those lap times.

And I'm snapping right at FIL's heels!

Advanced (Fastest Lap)
Ghegs & 0:43:50 & MT & XBLA

Advanced (Total Time)
Ghegs & 3:02:53 & MT & XBLA

I have two goals at the moment: To get my total time under three minutes and to be in the top 100 in XBLA leaderboards.
Ghegs

Postby FIL » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:52 pm

You'll get me very soon. I'm not back on my best form yet. I'm consistently doing sub-45 second laps but I can't quite get back under 44.

Your next target should be 177th on the leaderboard, because that's me.
FIL

Postby deca » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:13 pm

Ghegs wrote:deca, you fastest time on the XBLA version is 2:56:56? But man, your consistency there is scary, look at those lap times.

Holy crap really? I didn't expect it to be that fast haha, damn I thought I'd fully surpassed my xbla records. What's my rank?

Good job continuing to get that time down :) You've definitely got it figured out now it looks like!

Edit: BTW it looks like alanrotoi's expert time accidentally got posted as his advanced time, and I guarantee you those times were achieved with manual transmission haha
deca

Postby Ghegs » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:26 pm

deca wrote:
Ghegs wrote:deca, you fastest time on the XBLA version is 2:56:56? But man, your consistency there is scary, look at those lap times.

Holy crap really? I didn't expect it to be that fast haha, damn I thought I'd fully surpassed my xbla records. What's my rank?

You're #14 on the global leaderboards for Advanced.
Ghegs

Postby deca » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:40 pm

Ghegs wrote:You're #14 on the global leaderboards for Advanced.

Sick :D I forget does the leaderboard only count total time or is there a second one for laptime? I remember way back when I set the record I was like 3rd so I'm pretty happy it's held on that well.

Oh btw here are my crappy Expert times on AC, really struggling to get a feel for the course. I've been running it a bit more since setting those last records on Advanced though.

Expert (Fastest Lap)
deca & 1:41:50 & MT & Arcade

Expert (Total Time)
deca & 3:29:40 & MT & Arcade
deca

Postby FIL » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:02 pm

Looks like we've got a race on our hands. I'll update the table after work tomorrow.

Advanced (Fastest Lap)
FIL & 0:43:50 & MT & XBLA

Advanced (Total Time)
FIL & 3:01:60 & MT & XBLA

That's put me at 158th on the XBLA leaderboard now.
FIL

Postby deca » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:35 am

Little improvement on Expert after work today.

Expert (Fastest Lap)
deca & 1:40:62 & MT & Arcade

Expert (Total Time)
deca & 3:26:29 & MT & Arcade
deca

Postby FIL » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:51 pm

When everyone's done playing for the evening I'll update the tables. I've improved a little since last night.

Advanced (Fastest Lap)
FIL & 0:43:45 & MT & XBLA

Advanced (Total Time)
FIL & 3:01:20 & MT & XBLA
FIL

Next

Return to Time Attack