Virtua Racing

Save and share your best times here!

Virtua Racing

Postby Despatche » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:39 pm

It's the super mega hyper ultra giant VIRTUA RACING thread!
--------------------
As far as settings go, just play on Normal difficulty. For the sake of sanity, I'd like to just have arcade and time attack for the versions. For Free Run/Time Attack, remember to pick five laps for MD/Deluxe, and four laps/turn the time limit off/turn opponents off for the PS2 version. Other modes/difficulties/settings/etc by request.

Every port of V.R. has some big differences. For example, FlatOut is four laps by default instead of the usual five in every other Sega version (though Free Run lets you pick any number of laps), and there are probably physics changes and things like that. I think MD and 32X are the only remotely comparable ports, so for now they get one board.

The Japanese version of Deluxe is more impressive than the others; it has saving and reverse tracks! Might allow reverse tracks by request.
--------------------
Post times in this format:
Code: Select all
VERSION - MODE/TRACK/CAR/STUFF
NAME - BEST TIME (FASTEST LAP) - TRANSMISSION - V.R. MODE[, TIME/WEATHER for PS2] - DETAILS

DETAILS is for what console/emulator, what region release, etc. Virtua Formula should be the same basic game as Racing, at least. Note that region is switched in the test menu.

FlatOut is really annoying to get times from...
Acropolis

Virtua Racing and Deluxe (Mega Drive and 32X)
Virtua Racing mode
Big Forest
=Stock (Deluxe)=
1.  Despatche - 03'36"902 (00'43"034) - Automatic - Mode 3 - Deluxe with Kega Fusion v3.64 + US dump

Bay Bridge
Acropolis
Highland (Deluxe)
Sand Park (Deluxe)

Virtua Racing (Saturn)
??????????
??????????
??????????
??????????

Virtua Racing -FlatOut- (PlayStation 2)
Arcade mode
Big Forest
Bay Bridge
Acropolis
Last edited by Despatche on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:40 am, edited 9 times in total.
There are three factors of consist of a car, wheels, space of residence and motive power. We can move with this convenient tool between 'space A' to 'space B'.
Despatche

Re: Virtua Racing

Postby Despatche » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:19 pm

32X - Virtua Racing/Big Forest/Stock
Despatche - 03'37"978 (00'43"083) - Automatic - V.R Mode 3 - Kega Fusion v3.64+US rom

Turning in this game still doesn't make sense to me.
There are three factors of consist of a car, wheels, space of residence and motive power. We can move with this convenient tool between 'space A' to 'space B'.
Despatche

Postby Ghegs » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:26 pm

I guess the 32X's Arcade mode has five laps to it? I did a run with the PS2 version and it's only four laps and got sub-3 minutes with ~44 second lap times.

Bummer, I was hoping it'd be a bit more compatible for time comparison between versions. I guess I could just play PS2's Free Mode with five laps and opponents on.
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby Despatche » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:01 pm

Wow, that's kinda messed up. Yeah, the arcade game and its MD and 32X ports are supposed to have 5 laps, though with the arcade version you could always change it I guess.

I think I'd be fine with one giant board for everything, each version probably has similar mechanics; just gotta label everything. It's just stuff like the PS2 version having different default laps for some reason, and the arcade version having this extra "Hardest" difficulty that the MD/32X ports don't have.

Fun fact: the best total and lap times are exactly the same from arcade to MD to 32X. Kinda wonder if the Saturn or PS2 ports (probably not!) kept those too.

Oh yeah:

32X - Virtua Racing/Big Forest/Stock
Despatche - 03'36"902 (00'43"034) - Automatic - V.R Mode 3 - Kega Fusion v3.64+US rom

Just fired it up today and got that on my first try. Hmph. Still no sub-43 though.
Despatche

Postby Lee » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:09 pm

I only started to play Virtua Racing last year and it's a really nice game. I would go and play it again, but there's a particular bug on MAME which was really annoying.

In a similar sort of way to the emulated Sega Rally, the AI cars are buggy and can kill your run. In particular, I noticed on the Medium track Bay Bridge, that there's a ghost car you can collide with. When I asked about it at mameworld, they said this might be the case because part of the code they used to get it working is actually borrowed from Daytona USA.

Has anyone noticed this bug in VR or Daytona?

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sh ... =5&o=&vc=1
Lee

Return to Time Attack