Burnout 2 - Freeway Dash (No Traffic)

Save and share your best times here!

Burnout 2 - Freeway Dash (No Traffic)

Postby Ghegs » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:35 pm

Note that this thread is for time attacking the course without any traffic present, this is accomplished by turning on the "Free Run" cheat, which can be unlocked by beating the game's Custom Series Championship.

Format for submissions:
Name & Time & Car & Version

Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Re: Burnout 2 - Freeway Dash (No Traffic)

Postby djhaigh » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:59 am

djhaigh & 2:00.233 & Supercar & Xbox

Let me gush about how much better the game is without the traffic. I no longer have to compromise all my entry points because of dopey taxis or take weird a weird slow line on a sweeper because of a semi in my lane. The tracks really come alive this way.

On Freeway Dash I find the upper portion of the track (before the bridge) is especially improved without traffic.

I still have yet to put together a full combo run on this track. This particular run had a really nice second half but I lost a lot of time up at the summit.
djhaigh

Postby djhaigh » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:15 pm

djhaigh & 1:58.150 & Supercar & Xbox

Apparently I race better while sick.
djhaigh

Postby Ghegs » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:52 pm

Ghegs & 1:56.416 & Supercar & PS2

Man, I was having the best run so far - didn't grind the rails in the village at all, got through the downhill section so damn smoothly, the nose of the car was just barely not hitting the wall when I drifted there...and then, in the last corner where drifting is needed, I hit the rail at just the right angle and speed that I crashed. Took me another 20 minutes of playing to get this time. The one that got away would've been around 1:54 or even better.

There's still much we can improve here.
Ghegs

Postby djhaigh » Thu May 08, 2014 1:15 am

djhaigh & 1:55.016 & Supercar & Xbox

I think I might have one further improvement left in me. This one included an x10 burnout and was mostly clean, but I made at least two errors early on before getting that combo going.
djhaigh

Postby Ghegs » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:05 pm

Ghegs & 1:54.700 & Supercar & PS2

Video here. Unlisted because there's still much to improve. I don't think sub-1:50 is an impossibility.
Ghegs

Postby djhaigh » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:18 pm

djhaigh & 1:54.600 & Supercar & Xbox

I feel dirty posting just a 0.1 improvement, but that was as far as I could take it. There is certainly plenty of time left to gain. I'm frankly still terrible at the section before the bridge. I routinely drop combo and grind rails.
djhaigh

Postby Ghegs » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:25 pm

Ghegs & 1:53.650 & Supercar & PS2

On a different run I managed to tackle the long right corner before the first tunnel as a single corner and flew through it, instead of taking it as two separate corners. On this run it wasn't nearly as slick.
Ghegs

Postby djhaigh » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:18 pm

djhaigh & 1:53.933 & Supercar & Xbox

Grr. Frustrating to post an improvement that doesn't move me in front. Hopefully I keep chipping away.

I'm certainly losing the most time on the early sections, but this is the second run I've had recently where I was in line for a big improvement and then dropped combo 10 seconds from the finish line. There is no oncoming lane in the final tunnel, and the entire approach to that point can be done without any drifting. So if I hit the end of my meter just as I exit that tunnel, I will drop my burnout chain, costing me some time as a few seconds pass without boost.

I think it can be fixed, if I make a point to do a superfluous drift heading into the tunnel. But it's rare so that isn't baked into my route yet.
djhaigh

Postby djhaigh » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:58 am

djhaigh & 1:52.883 & Supercar & Xbox

And we're finally under 1:53. Ghegs said all along we'd get down here and I just wasn't sure. Plenty of time still on the table, too. I kissed the guardrail at least 5 times on this run, and did in fact drop combo on the home stretch just I described in my previous post. It was only a flutter though, as I refilled the gauge almost immediately.

I don't think there was any big breakthrough in this. Just put together a run without any big mistakes. My gains were in the top half, before the first tunnel. I came out of that tunnel just before 1:07, maybe a second quicker than my previous best.
djhaigh

Postby Ghegs » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:59 pm

Ghegs & 1:53.366 & Supercar & PS2

Just a tiny improvement. I've had one or two runs now where I've taken the big corner before the first tunnel beautifully at full speed, but it's very difficult to do consistently. This wasn't one of those runs.
Ghegs

Return to Time Attack