Dirt Rally Custom Events

Save and share your best times here!

Dirt Rally Custom Events

Postby wizkid » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:31 am

Possibly the first ever sim TA on this forum? So let's go full autism rally sim.

We(or most likely just me) are going to play custom events, that is several stages in a row, you submit your total event time, not the stage time, please do not submit your time if you have restarted mid-event, you can only restart the entire event! For example if it's the first stage of event and you crash, feel free to hit that restart button, but if it's the second, third, etc. stage, you have to abandon the event and start all over again! I hope these instructions were clear enough.
All cars are allowed, except for Group B 4WD, RWD group B is okay.
Repairs and tuning between stages is allowed.

Let's start with an event i came up with, it's only two stages, but they are very long. If you have an event suggestion feel free to post it.

Event name:
Greece
Custom event type:
Rally
Event Stages:
1.Perasma Platani(any weather)
2.Kathodo Leontiou(any weather)

You can play these stages in any order, but remember, don't restart mid-event!

New event!

Event name:
Finland
Custom event type:
Rally
Event Stages:
1.Kakaristo(Night)
2.Hämelahti(Morning/Rain)
3.Pitkäjärvi(Midday)
4.Kontinjärvi(Afternoon)

Should be played in that order, no restarts.

Format for submissions:
Name of event
Name & Event Time & Car
Please follow the format (especially the & characters) as it allows me to edit the times in easier.

Last edited by wizkid on Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 34 times in total.
wizkid

Re: Dirt Rally Custom Events

Postby wizkid » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:39 am

Perasma Platani and Kathodo Leontiou event
wizkid & 14:00.416 & Subaru Impreza 2001
didn't thought i'd finish without major crashes on a second try, i was driving like a grandma though and still managed to hit a wall once, as you can see the master ai's have completely obliterated me.
wizkid

Postby itsgood2slide » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:46 pm

I'm not usually one for leaderboards and such things, but these requirements have a true rallying spirit to them so count me in! Is there a service area between the stages for repairs?
itsgood2slide

Postby wizkid » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:29 pm

Perasma Platani and Kathodo Leontiou
wizkid & 13:37.967 & Ford Focus RS Rally 2001
1337 improvement, ford focus feels more nimble than subaru, but i couldn't handle it, turned on assists(already had ABS) and it made handling a lot easier, though they say assists make you slower, but in this long-ass race i'd rather be slow and steady.
itsgood2slide wrote:I'm not usually one for leaderboards and such things, but these requirements have a true rallying spirit to them so count me in! Is there a service area between the stages for repairs?

i'm glad someone else liked the idea. service areas are after every 2 stages, so there are none in this particular event, which makes it more fun if you ask me. though i don't mind taking a break between the stages, makes driving easier.
wizkid

Postby Ghegs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:45 pm

Interesting, I'll have to give this a go. While I own DiRT Rally I've barely played it, do I need to play it first to unlock the necessary tracks/features etc. or can I just dive right in?
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby wizkid » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:33 pm

you can just dive in, everything is unlocked in custom events. there are also video tutorials, might find them useful if you've barely played, it's a pretty rough game.
wizkid

Postby wizkid » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:42 pm

wizkid & 13:34.384 & Subaru Impreza 2001
man, this get's scarier and scarier, especially that last downhill section on Perasma.
wizkid

Postby itsgood2slide » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:33 am

itsgood2slide & 13:18.651 & Lancia 037

RWD and a low ride height make it far from the ideal choice for this event, but the 037 is just so much fun that I couldn't resist! I am playing in VR and it is incredibly tense and exhilarating.

My first run was supposed to be just a sighter, but I still managed to pick up a 12 second penalty for getting too greedy and disappearing into some trees. I also lost a lot of time near the end by stupidly pushing hard to try to make up for the penalty. Total time: 14:01.866.

Second run: again I tried my best to be careful, but I misheard a pacenote in the last third of the second stage and binned it.

Third run: I had built up a much better feeling for the car by this point (I have been playing GT Sport a fair bit since I last played Dirt Rally, so I was also adapting back to the game itself) and despite a few half spins I was comfortably up on my first run. Total time: 13:34.767

Fourth run: by this point I had realised that I was much better at the first stage than the second, mostly because I was finding the latter more precarious and its many hairpins rather tricky in my tail-happy Lancia. So with this in mind, I did a few shakedowns to test the limits and then went relatively aggressive on stage 1 and just tried to keep the second stage clean, which I pretty much did until I completely messed up the tight left hander which is inconveniently situated at the bottom of two slopes. Despite that mistake, I was green on both stages, gaining 16 seconds in total.

youtu.be/ZxrOms7j9PI
itsgood2slide

Postby Ghegs » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:44 pm

Alright, first run ever on this!

Ghegs & 18:34.443 & Subaru Impreza 2001

Some practice may be required. Need to try out the different cars too.

EDIT: Slow 'n steady...

Ghegs & 16:03.311 & Hyundai Rally
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby wizkid » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:42 am

updated the board, good job, everyone! just finishing this in one piece is an achievement.

wizkid & 13:29.801 & Ford Fiesta RS Rally
i crashed right at the finish, where the co-driver says "double caution" :roll:
that cost me atleast 11 seconds, but still managed to beat my pb becouse 2010s class cars are so much faster than 00s.
wizkid

Postby wizkid » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:51 am

wizkid & 13:07.435 & MINI Countryman Rally Edition
MINI is a beast, my new favorite. i was so relieved to finish.
wizkid

Postby itsgood2slide » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:23 pm

itsgood2slide & 13:04.051 & Lancia 037

I set myself the target of getting under 13 minutes, and while my best times on each stage were good enough, I did not manage to do so consecutively.

I should have time to play more tomorrow, and I'll upload whatever my best run was then. Not sure whether to keep seeing what I can do in the 037 or pick something faster and/or more stable...

Edit: I was trialling the PS4's direct upload feature and despite saying it failed, it seems to have worked, so here is yesterday's run:

youtu.be/koCtddMpkk8
itsgood2slide

Postby itsgood2slide » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:46 pm

itsgood2slide & 12:46.835 & Lancia 037

My first run without any major mistakes on either stage and I was comfortably under my target for the weekend. New personal best time on both stages too. I just love driving the 037!

youtu.be/RWzf_NQrED4
itsgood2slide

Postby wizkid » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:42 am

updated the board
damn, nice work, i thought i could relax for a couple days. :D
wizkid

Postby itsgood2slide » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:44 am

heh thanks! I have a busy week ahead so I can't see me hitting the gravel again until the weekend.
itsgood2slide

Postby wizkid » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:54 pm

wizkid & 12:52.335 & Lancia Delta S4
only a lancia can beat another lancia, though not this time, i was driving as safe as possible in the second stage, but still got greedy and lost couple seconds on that "double caution" jump near the finish.
wizkid

Postby itsgood2slide » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:12 pm

Ah yes, the Delta S4... I actually drove it for the first time yesterday, strictly just one run to test the waters. I rolled it on the first stage, and had to peer through a smashed window for the rest of the run, and yet still recorded a slightly quicker time than I had in the 037. It's a lot faster, but nowhere near as much fun. But I imagine I will have to switch to it to stay competetive soon enough.

Before the S4 I also did one run in the Delta HF Integrale and clocked in a 12:55 despite rolling over 3 or 4 times on the slope down to the right hairpin where a 4x4 is parked. Luckily it stopped rolling right at the apex so I could continue!

And more generally, on the subject of Lancia, I have been reading a MotorSport anthology called Rally Legends and it strikes me just how amazing Lancia were in the 80s. They made possibly the greatest RWD and 4WD rally cars of all time back-to-back with the 037 and the Delta S4, and then made what I have seen described as the most successful WRC car of all-time, the Integrale.
itsgood2slide

Postby wizkid » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:33 pm

I came up with a new event, now even more masochistic. Group B cars are not allowed in this one or any future events of mine(but of course they are still allowed in the old event), it's very tiring to drive them fast, especially in very long events, but if someone will start using them, everyone else will be forced to drive them too to stay competitive. If someone wants to drive group B, he can make a separate thread. I might make one myself, but with sprint stages instead of events.

Event name:
Finland
Custom event type:
Rally
Vehicle classes:
All, except for group B
Event Stages:
1.Kakaristo(Night)
2.Hämelahti(Morning/Rain)
3.Pitkäjärvi(Midday)
4.Kontinjärvi(Afternoon)

Should be played in that order, no restarts.
edit: group B RWD is now allowed!
Last edited by wizkid on Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wizkid

Postby wizkid » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:22 pm

Finland
wizkid & 31:12.409 & Volkswagen Polo Rally
terrible first attempt, especially third stage, i jumped the start and got a 10 seconds penalty, then to make up for that went into maximum attack and drove over some fella. and of course there were plenty of crashes, by the end of the event the engine was broken and boiling, i thought i won't make it.
here's my car near the finish line, you can see co-drivers hands trough it :lol:
wizkid

Postby itsgood2slide » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:34 pm

Could we eliminate Group B 4WD, but keep Group B RWD? Looking at at this guide -
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=462311586 - the two Group B RWD cars are only the 23rd and 28th fastest in their test, only ahead of cars from the 60s, 70s and 80s.

i.e. I want to keep driving the 037 :D

Either way, I'm looking forward to the new, longer challenge!
itsgood2slide

Postby itsgood2slide » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:39 pm

wizkid wrote:Image

Heh awesome, did you get the achievement/trophy for rally spirit?

Also, are we allowed repairs in between stages 2&3?
itsgood2slide

Postby wizkid » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:43 pm

yes, repairs are allowed, i just didn't have enough time to fix the body, that's why it looks so bad.
didn't get the achievement becouse i torrented the game :twisted: missed the last opportunity to buy, now have some money in steam wallet and will get it on next sale.
edit:
didn't notice your post above!
Could we eliminate Group B 4WD, but keep Group B RWD? Looking at at this guide -
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =462311586 - the two Group B RWD cars are only the 23rd and 28th fastest in their test, only ahead of cars from the 60s, 70s and 80s.

yeah okay, we'll allow groub b rwd, i just assumed it's faster than even modern cars becouse you are so damn good with 037, i can't control it at all. :lol:
another edit:
i will probably "ban" group b(except for RWD) from the very first event too, luckily no one but me has driven it yet and i'll be glad to stop driving that damn S4, it's too much for me to handle! Tomorrow i will make a run on some other car.
wizkid

Postby itsgood2slide » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:22 pm

Ah, Group B, always getting banned! :lol:

Anyway, thank you for letting me keep my beloved 037; that wet stage is going to be a wild ride! :D

Also, I like the time of day chronology in the new event!

A future event could have a night stage at the end so you need to protect your lights until the final stage!
itsgood2slide

Postby wizkid » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:57 pm

A future event could have a night stage at the end so you need to protect your lights until the final stage!

afaik lights are always repaired after each stage, tires are fixed too.

Updated the rules:
Group B 4WD is now banned from all events(wow such realism), everything else including group B RWD is allowed.
"Perasma Platani and Kathodo Leontiou" event is renamed to just "Greece".

Greece
wizkid & 12:51.285 & Ford Fiesta RS Rally
Now that group B is banned I'm happy to ditch Delta S4, it was 2spooky4me anyway and i should be able to get decent times in 2010s.
Finland
wizkid & 30:47.076 & Ford Fiesta RS Rally
Did a bit better, still terrible though, you can tell by the car not being in perfect shape.
wizkid

Postby wizkid » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:42 am

Had a terrible morning full of shit runs, then turned on some synthwave, disabled co-driver's voice and did a whole lot better.
Greece
wizkid & 12:40.252 & Ford Fiesta RS Rally

here's a link to that synthwave album in case someone is interested
https://soundcloud.com/cjburnett/sets/m ... full-album
wizkid

Postby wizkid » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:30 am

Finland
wizkid & 30:23.493 & Ford Fiesta RS Rally
had 4-5 crashes on the last stage, luckily without having to recover, i may have made this event a bit too long. what do you guys think about modifying this event until someone else submitted their run? i'm thinking of removing stage 4 and making stage 3 shorter, but maybe making it rainy to compensate. in this event i've found rainy and bumpy stage 2 to be the most fun.
wizkid

Postby itsgood2slide » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:48 pm

For me, it's the length that makes it interesting and more like a real rally. I'm planning to give Finland a first run this afternoon... or at least I was...
itsgood2slide

Postby wizkid » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:06 pm

yeah, making it more like a real rally where consistency matters the most was the idea and it still is, i won't change the event if there is no demand. just asking becouse i thought i might've went a bit too far with it, one has to be in a special mindset to enjoy this kind of thing, it's not really pickup and play, when i take a break mid-event and continue the next day i usually butcher it like what happened this morning.
edit:
the most fun i've ever had with this game is trying to survive 12 random stages against master ai in a custom event, to me this is what's rallying is about. i want events in this thread to feel as similar as possible, but of course setting up 12 stages would've been too much, just setting 4 stages with specific conditions each time is a bit of a hassle :lol:
wizkid

Postby itsgood2slide » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:26 pm

Okay great! I will give Finland a go!

We have Greece there as a short one as a more pick-up-and play entry point. Also, we could always have a short one and a long one in the same country.

I had a couple of ideas for potential future events:

Classic Monte - Monte Carlo with 60s and 70s cars only

The End of Group B - Wales in Group B only (the RAC was the final WRC manufacturers championship event that allowed Group B cars)

Edit: A 12 stage event at some point could be cool too :lol:
itsgood2slide

Postby wizkid » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:00 pm

Also, we could always have a short one and a long one in the same country.

i was thinking about making a longer, meaner greece event, but haven't thought about making a short and long version of each event, that's a good idea.
Classic Monte - Monte Carlo with 60s and 70s cars only

The End of Group B - Wales in Group B only (the RAC was the final WRC manufacturers championship event that allowed Group B cars)

historic events are an interesting idea and i already thought about making 60s/70s monte carlo event(love to drive stratos there), but limiting it to certain classes will make it less accessible to players who might struggle with these cars(especially with group b), so i'd like to create just a regular event for each location first, then i'll make something more specific, like events limited to one group or endurance events where you can't repair between stages. anyway, keep those suggestions coming.
wizkid

Next

Return to Time Attack