Sega Model 3 & The Dreamcast "WTF went wrong?"

Outrun, Sega Rally, Daytona USA, Initial D, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, etc...

Sega Model 3 & The Dreamcast "WTF went wrong?"

Postby itsgood2slide » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:45 pm

I just came across this:

youtu.be/jdfIdHlAh_I

Oh how I wish Daytona 2 and Scud Race could be ported some day!

I have never played Le Mans 24, but I already love how the SEGA version of Circuit de la Sarthe includes a rollercoaster that goes across the track as you drive through a fairground!
itsgood2slide

Re: Sega Model 3 & The Dreamcast "WTF went wrong?"

Postby d123456 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:35 pm

That video is quite an accomplishment and I agree with it all. Great video/must watch for all members.
d123456

Re: Sega Model 3 & The Dreamcast "WTF went wrong?"

Postby Ghegs » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:01 pm

Good video indeed, learned some new stuff.

I do think it's the combination of sim racing becoming a valid option in console games and licensing fees that spelled out the doom of Model 3 ports. When your game has three cars and three tracks compared to Gran Turismo's 140 cars and 11 tracks (and GT2 upped that to 650 and 27 respectively)...yeah, that's a tough sell to the big crowd.

Nowadays you could get around the apparent lack of content by releasing a compilation. "Sega Arcade Racing Classics" with the Daytonas, Scud Race and Sega Rallys and you got yourself a value pack. Outrun games would probably be left out due to licensing issues, but since Daytona USA got the HD release to PS3/Xbox 360 some time ago (where's the PC port of that, Sega!?) at least that series' licenses are in hand.
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Return to Sega Racers