Slipstream (Greenlight)

Battle Gear, Wangan Midnight, Trackmania, Tokyo Xtreme Racer, Midnight Club, Side By Side, PGR, Excite Truck, Mario Kart, Neo Drift Out and many more!

Slipstream (Greenlight)

Postby Ghegs » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:33 pm

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =479097756

Found this when browsing through the Greenlight titles. Looks pretty decent. Reading the dev's site the game is actually made with a 2D engine like the original Out Run and the like, only of course using modern hardware. So I'm guessing he'll use many of the same techniques that louisg described in his article about pseudo 3D racers.
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Re: Slipstream (Greenlight)

Postby Thunderer » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:52 pm

CRASHDAY IS THE BEST RACING SIM AND HAS ALL POSSIBLE SIMULATION VALUES
Thunderer

Postby bVork » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:42 am

It's now on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/noctet/slipstream

I think the camera looks a little low (might make judging your car's distance from obstacles difficult) but there's a lot of potential here. I got in on the $5 early bird backer tier, but am thinking about upgrading to get access to the beta so I can provide feedback.
bVork

Postby FIL » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:30 am

I'm waiting for the indies to move onto copying the early 3d racing games but I've still got room for another one or two Outrun clones.
FIL

Postby Ghegs » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:46 am

There's now a new public demo available at itch.io.

It's quite fun, actually. And somewhat hard, it took me a few tries just to get through the demo's three stages, the time limit is pleasantly strict on Normal difficulty. Or I might just suck at pseudo-3D racers, I've never played them a whole lot. I do wish the steering controls were analog, but I'm not sure how well those work with games like this.

There's apparently some scoring system in the game, but the score is only displayed after your run is over, so it's impossible to tell what affects it and how much. If the dev intends for that to be a larger part of the game, I hope he'll make the score visible while racing.

I went and pledged for the Advertiser Package.
Ghegs

Postby Skirmisher » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:25 am

My main complaint is that the traffic logic is finicky. Whenever the road narrows, the middle lane vanishes and the lanes on the outside of that merge, instead of something normal like one of the outer lanes merging. At these points, the traffic tends to have unpredictable behavior, like shunting out from one of the inner lanes toward the outside, and it's sometimes a pretty absurd leap that takes you by surprise. I've also had cars pass me and bump into me when changing lanes, on more than one occasion. They could at least signal or something! x_x

Other than that, the controls are fun to master, and the music is sweet (the menu music is my favorite track and I wish it was longer). If the traffic was improved, it'd be a lot more fun; using the controls to maneuver around traffic is almost as important as knowing the road, especially at Hard difficulty. I really love the traffic-dodging aspect of the game! It's cool to be able to adjust your position on the fly in turns to navigate past cars, rather than shooting for the same line all the time.

The story mode seems intriguing, too (multiple endings!), but I don't exactly have my hopes up for the quality. Crossing my fingers this won't become another "I'd love this if it weren't for the content" games, like so many arcade racers tend to be.
Skirmisher

Postby Ghegs » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:53 pm

The game has reached its Kickstarter goal! Nice. However, I'm a bit worried about what the developer stated in Project Update #3. This was when it looked like the game wasn't going to make its goal:

The #1 complaint was that the game looks dull/boring/uninteresting, and I can see why. To counter that, I'm gonna add more action-oriented mechanics to spice things up. I have brainstormed a few ideas, explosive crashes, maybe some kind of shooting, mario kart style items, I don't know exactly what it will be (maybe all of them), but I'm gonna try to add everything I can in terms of variety.

Personally, I liked what was going on in the demo, and judging by the backer comments, so did many others. Here's hoping he'll keep it as a pure arcade-style racer.
Ghegs

Postby louisg » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:48 am

Ghegs wrote:Personally, I liked what was going on in the demo, and judging by the backer comments, so did many others. Here's hoping he'll keep it as a pure arcade-style racer.

Yeah, I agree! It just needs a little more control finesse and maybe a couple more elements that it can call its own. But I hope he doesn't make it into Mario Kart.. it definitely doesn't need to be that.
louisg

Postby Ghegs » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:38 pm

The guy just sent a Kickstarter update and announced he plans to deliver the final game by the end of March. Would be the fastest KS reward I'd ever got if that was the case. I guess he did have a lot of the stuff already done, but that doesn't sound like he's going to have time to put in the additional Mario Kart-style elements he mentioned. Hopefully he's dropped those completely.
Ghegs

Postby Ghegs » Sat May 28, 2016 8:10 am

Well, obviously that didn't happen. But a new backer-exclusive demo was just released. The graphics are improved, there's some new courses (and some missing from the previous demo) but most importantly, the drift mechanics have been changed a bit. It feels better, more dynamic, but it's really, really hard to come out of the drift cleanly. There's this "balance meter" that pops up when you're drifting, and despite keeping it in the green when trying to come out of a drift, I still end up continuing it and crashing. Might require a bit more tweaking...
Ghegs

Postby AkumajoBelmont » Sun May 29, 2016 12:50 am

Ghegs wrote:Might require a bit more tweaking...

Not a little, a lot, haha :)

I find the drifting to be problematic too. I find I can't initiate a drift half as regularly as I could in the first demo. And when I do, I have the same problems as you. I find my drifts go all out, then I've gotta try and reign it in, but by the time I do, I've already found a wall.

Still, it definitely shows promise. The scrolling is suuuuuuper smooth, and the graphics are nicer. There's a distinct lack of variety in each course though, and the courses don't seem too memorable yet. There's plenty of time to take this game where it needs to go, though, so I'm not too worried.
AkumajoBelmont

Postby Ghegs » Sun May 29, 2016 6:32 am

The dev sent another message about the new update, and you're supposed to brake out of the drift. A few tries to get the timing down and I was coming out of drifts very smoothly, I finally managed to beat the new demo. :D
Ghegs

Postby AkumajoBelmont » Sun May 29, 2016 8:35 am

Ghegs wrote:The dev sent another message about the new update, and you're supposed to brake out of the drift. A few tries to get the timing down and I was coming out of drifts very smoothly, I finally managed to beat the new demo. :D

I'll give it some more time too - can't wait to actually get past the second stage :P
AkumajoBelmont

Postby Ghegs » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:14 pm

An update! The dev had real life issues that got in the way, but they're solved now and the development continues. Hopefully we can see the game released this year.
Ghegs

Return to Others