Gear.Club coming to Switch

Battle Gear, Wangan Midnight, Trackmania, Tokyo Xtreme Racer, Midnight Club, Side By Side, PGR, Excite Truck, Mario Kart, Neo Drift Out and many more!

Gear.Club coming to Switch

Postby itsgood2slide » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:59 pm

Gear.Club, the iOS/Android game from Eden Games is coming to Nintendo Switch. Has anyone played it?

When I saw a screenshot I was interested, then the name and mobile heritage made me think it would be one of those gear changing games, but then in the trailer it looks like Test Drive Unlimited (but with expanded customisation). I think it might be the first car racing game on a Nintendo console since Most Wanted 2012!

youtu.be/xl564bi5x-g
itsgood2slide

Re: Gear.Club coming to Switch

Postby AkumajoBelmont » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:42 am

Gear.Club is fantastic for a mobile game. The Freemium stuff is a little too in your face for my tastes, but my tastes are I hate Freemium full-stop, so there you go.

I'm almost 100% sure they'll tone that down though, and it'll be a Premium racer on the Switch. In which case, I think we'll be in for a treat. The handling is basically MSR x TDU x Forza Horizon, at least the way I have it configured on my phone. There's more hardcore options for turning off assists and stuff, but I prefer at least a semi sim-cade approach in games like this.

It's no Forza, but I'm really eager to see how it fares on the Switch. I'll be disappointed if it turns out that the F2P stuff is still in there, but it's far, FAR from the worst example of the system. I've had many hours of fun with it and not splurged on IAP, so fingers crossed!
AkumajoBelmont

Postby itsgood2slide » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:55 am

Thank you for your insight.

It sounds fantastic! I love MSR, TDU2 and Forza Horizon : )

Hopefully it will be a case of the full game on a cartridge rather than a free download plus microtransactions. I don't do 'freemium' either.
itsgood2slide

Postby Ghegs » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:00 pm

youtu.be/i5xtPEQNkSY

Out on November 21st, I'm hoping to hear some impressions from you guys.
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby itsgood2slide » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:11 am

I will definitely buy this, but I have resolved not to buy a first generation Nintendo handheld again, so it could be a while before I play it.
itsgood2slide

Postby Thunderer » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:59 am

To no one's surprise it's as mediocre as it sounded.
https://opencritic.com/game/5208/gear-club-unlimited

Better'd go back to TDR1 I suppose. None of current year's racing games are worth mentioning at all.
Rest in peace Ridge Racer franchise, 1993-2012. Never forget, never forgive.
Thunderer

Postby skoeldpadda » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:45 am

Yeah, "fair" seems to be the word. And it was to be expected, it was "fair" to begin with.
I haven't played the Switch version (and I doubt I ever will), but from my mobile/Android TV experience, it's quite pleasing and enjoyable, but it offers nothing we haven't already seen a hundred times since the first Test Drive Unlimited came out. Cars are cool, graphics are pretty, the island is nice, overall it's not a bad experience, but then you remember what and why it was made for : there's no game of the type on mobile... And tons of them on consoles. Plus, it was a freemium game that you could enjoy for no money at all if you didn't mind the in-game auto-advertisement. On Switch, it costs 45€... And in no way is it worth that much.
(And you also have to bear in mind that the core members of the Test Drive Unlimited dev team have left Eden to form Ivory Tower and make The Crew for Ubi Soft. The game was a shadow of its former self to begin with.)

Thunderer wrote:None of current year's racing games are worth mentioning at all.

To the point where the most fun I had with one of this year's release is with BAJA Edge of Control HD ; a game that has been waiting ten years for its PC port.
Yan Holliday, a.k.a. skoeldpadda. Cabinet driver. Roguelikes PhD. Shmup scholar.
skoeldpadda

Postby Thunderer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:16 am

From what I heard it's exactly the same as the original mobile counterpart (graphic fidelity aside) minus microtransaction so yeah.

Nothing to see here I guess.
Thunderer

Postby AkumajoBelmont » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:29 am

It's still Day 1 for me when it comes out in stores here in Australia. I had a lot of fun with the mobile version, and the only thing that I really despised were the microtransactions and F2P stuffs. I really liked it otherwise, and the controls are relatively tight with a Gamepad.

I actually think it's really neat that they gave the game a second shot without the BS. I'd like to see more of that.
AkumajoBelmont

Postby Despatche » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:56 am

Please keep in mind that reviewers are prone to seeing arcade racers as a joke. I already see some of it on this OpenCritic site, there are multiple comparisons to GT and Forza and such. I thought we understood this? Any given arcade racer is going to require actually trying it for ourselves. Consider me interested, by the way.
There are three factors of consist of a car, wheels, space of residence and motive power. We can move with this convenient tool between 'space A' to 'space B'.
Despatche

Postby Thunderer » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:46 am

I mean since the TDU days (considering people hailed this as spiritual successor to TDU but for mobile) it was never been completely arcadey to begin with so it's rather fair for them to use simcades like GT/Forza as comparison. Otherwise they could've used NFS:Payback or even The Crew instead.
Thunderer

Postby skoeldpadda » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:40 pm

Well, gameplay-wise, Gear.Club is an arcade game alright. It's easy to control, the roads are wide and you can drive very well at high speeds without touching the brakes (you have to keep in mind that it was a mobile game, not meant to be played with a gamepad, with specific handling and track design needs). But, it really draws from that "collect-a-thon" mechanics from Gran Turismo with the "way of life" vibe associated with Test Drive Unlimited (bearing in mind that is it not an open-world, although you will recognise some roads - it actually works a bit like the first Need for Speed Underground). It's a "driving game" more than it is a racing one.

But other than that, to my observation of random internet reviews, the automatic Forza/Turismo comparison has nothing to do with it being arcade or "simcade" (God, I hate that word) or anything : quite simply, every single racing game on console is compared to Forza and Gran Turismo to some extent.
Every. Single. One.
Many knowledgeable reviews would do that just to point out that it is nothing like them and then move on to explaining the particularities, but to many gamers, a racing game is a racing game, with no genre distinctions. They would count tracks and cars and career length and talk actually little about gameplay. I know a lot of people who see no difference between Forza and Outrun, the same way they regard The Witcher and Baldur's Gate as simply "role playing games", despite them being at two completely opposite sides of the genre's spectrum.

We are specialized gamers, we come here to talk specificaly about a kind of racing games. Most people just "play racing games".
Yan Holliday, a.k.a. skoeldpadda. Cabinet driver. Roguelikes PhD. Shmup scholar.
skoeldpadda

Postby Despatche » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:06 pm

Well, that was kinda my point; people aren't discerning. But even that isn't entirely true, because one of the most major complaints that appears in reviews about arcade racers is about the "simplistic" or "totally unrealistic" driving.
There are three factors of consist of a car, wheels, space of residence and motive power. We can move with this convenient tool between 'space A' to 'space B'.
Despatche

Postby Ghegs » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:59 am

I do appreciate the developers taking their mobile game with microtransactions, ripping that stuff out completely and releasing it as a "proper" game for PCs and consoles. It worked well with the Riptide GP series, I like seeing that.
Ghegs

Postby itsgood2slide » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:27 pm

Ghegs wrote:I do appreciate the developers taking their mobile game with microtransactions, ripping that stuff out completely and releasing it as a "proper" game for PCs and consoles.

And possibly just as important, "proper" controls 8-)
itsgood2slide

Postby Ghegs » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:39 pm

itsgood2slide wrote:
Ghegs wrote:I do appreciate the developers taking their mobile game with microtransactions, ripping that stuff out completely and releasing it as a "proper" game for PCs and consoles.

And possibly just as important, "proper" controls 8-)

Yep, that's what I was trying to hint at without being overtly blunt about it. ;)
Ghegs

Postby itsgood2slide » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:14 pm

Ah, cool. Thinking about it, on balance, I would rather put up with sub-standard controls than the psychological pressure of microtransactions.
itsgood2slide

Return to Others