neGcon compatibility list

The racing hardware

neGcon compatibility list

Postby Ghegs » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:42 pm

neGcon Compatibility List

Namco's neGcon, gimmicky though it may seem now, was a fairly popular choice during the pre-Dual Shock analog control days in providing the player with analog controls. Naturally it was mostly used in Namco's own games (Ridge Racer, Ace Combat) but other developers used it as well, most notably by Psygnosis for their Wipeout series. It is still the best (and many times only) way of getting the accurate controls needed for best times for many a PS1-era racing game. Click here for a more detailed article.

This list's original author is Dave Britten, I am hosting it here with his permission. I also update this list whenever I come across new games that support the controller.

PS1 games

PS2 games

If you know of a game that supports the neGcon but isn't on the list, or have more information concerning the games already on the list, let me know in this thread. Worth noting that most (all?) Namco-developed PS1 games support the neGcon as a normal controller, but not every game supports the twist function.

Another list is available here.
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Re: neGcon compatibility list

Postby deca » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:44 pm

Tedious issue concerning Ridge Racer Turbo compatibility.

For whatever reason Namco decided it would be a good idea for the US version of the Turbo disc to also be a demo disc, and only after wasting your time loading a frontend menu it gives you the option to boot into either original or turbo Ridge Racer. The issue here is that the frontend menu does not even detect the neGcon. Once Ridge Racer boots it will autodetect the neGcon as soon as you plug it in and even displays a 3D model of it on the controller setting screen, offers extra calibration and sensitivity options as well.

I plan to test some more games for compatibility once I have some free time. Hoping Battle Gear 3 is compatible and allows analog handbrake on the L button.
deca

Postby Ghegs » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:51 pm

That is weird, on the JPN version's frontend menu the neGcon works just fine.
Ghegs

Postby 1up » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:50 am

Looked up negcon on ebay.co.uk. These things go for £25 new :o

Might have to order one when the next pay rolls in. Anyone try it with MAME?
1up

Postby Ghegs » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:02 pm

As I understand it, the neGcon can work with any game - even current-gen games - as long as they support the remapping of axes, and I imagine MAME does. You just need a PS1-to-PC adapter, of course.
Ghegs

Postby deca » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:01 pm

I've seen it suggested for use with Live for Speed! I should give that a try sometime.

I have a couple games I can add to this list, I haven't tested them with the controller yet but it is clearly listed in the manual that they are fully compatible:

GT Max Rev
Racingroovy
deca

Postby 1up » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:51 pm

Nice! I have a psx to pc-usb adapter somewhere. Live for Speed eh? I raced that competitively from 2004-2007.
1up

Postby deca » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:03 pm

I've had it since 2004 or 2005 I think, played on and off. I think the last time I was real into it was maybe 2009. I never really got involved in serious racing, I mostly hotlapped and drifted with a friend of mine. Hotlapping was a lot of fun, I'd drive and my buddy would help sort out the suspension settings and all that.
deca

Postby LEGENOARYNINLIA » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:22 am

There's a relatively cheap non-yellowed neGcon for sale on Ebay.co.uk, so I figured maybe someone from the UK wants to snatch it...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OFFICIAL-NAMCO-NEGON-ANALOG-CONTROLLER-FOR-PS1-/150916185720?pt=UK_Controllers_Attachments&hash=item23234e3e78#ht_500wt_1204
LEGENOARYNINLIA

Postby null1024 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:46 pm

Slightly off-topic, but is the Jogcon protocol-compatible with the neGcon? One of those can be picked up quite cheaply [like, $6+shipping].
things, stuff, more things
null1024

Postby Ghegs » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:57 pm

As far as I know, no. Jogcon is its own thing and from what I can tell, only a tiny handful of games support it, like Ridge Racer 4 and 5, V-Rally 2 and...that's it. It really doesn't seem to be worth of even a few bucks.
Ghegs

Postby deca » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:51 pm

Yeah I haven't heard great things about the jogcon but I'd still like to pick one up at some point out of curiosity. I just think it's awesome that the little thing has force feedback, even if it's poorly implemented.

I do recall reading that some psx steering wheels are actually detected as neGcons though, I forget what the details are on that.
deca

Postby null1024 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:58 am

deca wrote:Yeah I haven't heard great things about the jogcon but I'd still like to pick one up at some point out of curiosity. I just think it's awesome that the little thing has force feedback, even if it's poorly implemented.

I do recall reading that some psx steering wheels are actually detected as neGcons though, I forget what the details are on that.

Yeah, I remember reading that too, I think they just outright pretended that they were a neGcon, because it was the most common [only?] analog protocol in PS1 games until the Dual Shock.

It is a shame nearly no PS2 games support the neGcon protocol...
null1024

Postby 1up » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:38 am

Anyone know if any PlayStation 1 emulators support the negcon?
1up

Postby Ghegs » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:16 am

They do, I've used either ePSXe or pSX to test things out. Can't remember which one it was at the moment. There's a button you use to change the controller type, and neGcon is included in the list.
Ghegs

Postby null1024 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:41 am

pSX sadly does not have neGcon emulation support. ePSXe does.
null1024

Postby itsgood2slide » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:26 pm

Thank you for this thread and the neGcon article. I had never come across Ray Tracers and had forgotten about Mille Miglia so a trip to eBay was in order(!)

Here are a few neGcon games from my collection that I didn't see in your list:

Auto Destruct
Burning Road
Explosive Racing
Max Power Racing (a.k.a. C3 Racing)

Oh and nice way to check I wasn't a robot when I registered!
itsgood2slide

Postby Ghegs » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:02 am

Thanks, I've added those to the list. And welcome aboard!
Ghegs

Postby itsgood2slide » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:21 pm

Thank you. I always have my eyes peeled for that magical SLEH-0003 code so I'll let you know if I spot any more. I can't wait for Ray Tracers and Mille Miglia to arrive!
itsgood2slide

Postby Bryce Armstrong » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:30 am

Ghegs wrote:As far as I know, no. Jogcon is its own thing and from what I can tell, only a tiny handful of games support it, like Ridge Racer 4 and 5, V-Rally 2 and...that's it. It really doesn't seem to be worth of even a few bucks.

It works for Crash Team racing and R Racing to. Id like someone to make a definitive list for this to.
Bryce Armstrong

Postby ave1 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:23 am

Add two more PS2 games to the list: Lemans 24 Hrs and WRC (you have to select "digital" under control options to allow the NeGcon to work).
ave1

Postby Ghegs » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:21 am

That's what the controller's Wikipedia article says, yeah, but I'm kind of sceptical about it. Do you have first-hand experience trying the neGcon with those games? Changing the controls into digital mode sounds like it might allow the neGcon's digital d-pad to work for controlling, but not the twist function which is where the analog controls come from.
Ghegs

Postby ave1 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:46 am

Being that I wrote that part of the write-up myself, I'd say for certain that it works and works the right way!
ave1

Postby Ghegs » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:12 am

Ah, excellent! Added to the list, thanks.

Never thought there'd more PS2 games discovered that work with the controller. Very surprising.
Ghegs

Postby itsgood2slide » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:11 pm

Thank you for bringing Tokyo Road Race to my attention - it's a fun game. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get it to work with the neGcon (and neither the back of the box nor the manual suggest that it would work). I have the PAL version of the game published by Midas.

That's interesting to learn that Le Mans supports the neGcon. I was thinking about getting it for Dreamcast, but now I might consider the PS2 version.
itsgood2slide

Postby Ghegs » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:11 am

I have the same version, and I really should've put in better notes for it on the table. The neGcon does work with the game, but only when you're driving, the menus don't work. So you need to start the game with a normal controller plugged in, select your track and car, and during the loading screen switch the neGcon in.

You can't change the button configuration, but everything's there and mapped pretty logically. I is gas, II is break, A is camera view change, down on the d-pad looks back and the shoulder buttons are manual gear shifting.

It's a bit bothersome, especially since you have to change controllers once more after each race just to input your name and navigate the menus again, but it does work, and I think driving feels better with it than the normal Dual Shock.

Tokyo Road Race is a pretty good game indeed, I'd love an excuse to play it more. ;)
Ghegs

Postby itsgood2slide » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:04 pm

Thank you, that worked! I had tried switching controllers when the game was running, but not during the loading screen. However, without the ability to calibrate it to my liking I think I will stick with the DS2 (I usually use only 90 degrees each way on my beloved neGcon).

Maybe it is just because I am playing it in 60Hz 16:9 but the UI is a complete mess in this game! During gameplay the main view doesn't extend to the edge of the screen leaving the 2D scenery wraparound exposed in two vertical strips (but the rear view mirror does extend to the left edge). Also, the needles for the rev counter and 'boost' gauge are offset below their respective scales. :lol:

...and in the menus it's almost impossible to read the stats for the cars because it's like you're looking at an out-of-focus photo of the screen! Also, the high score list is too big for its background image... :roll:

Super fun game though so thanks again! There aren't a huge number of true arcade racers around on consoles (and hardly any by Taito).
Last edited by itsgood2slide on Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
itsgood2slide

Postby Ghegs » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:13 pm

itsgood2slide wrote:Maybe it is just because I am playing it in 60Hz 16:9 but the UI is a complete mess in this game! During gameplay the main view doesn't extend to the edge of the screen leaving the 2D scenery wraparound exposed in two vertical strips (but the rear view mirror does extend to the left edge). Also, the needles for the rev counter and 'boost' gauge are offset below their respective scales. :lol:

...and in the menus it's almost impossible to read the stats for the cars because it's like you're looking at an out-of-focus photo of the screen! :roll:

I've noticed those myself, yeah. I wonder if it's just the PAL port, though. Seems like extremely obvious errors that should've been caught 'n corrected in day 1 of QA. I've been contemplating getting the original Battle Gear 2 release just to see what's the deal here.
Ghegs

Postby itsgood2slide » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:57 pm

I picked up three more neGcon supported PS1 games, one of which is in the list (No Fear Downhill Mountain Biking) and two that are not: VR Sports Powerboat Racing and Le Mans 24 Hours (I know the PS2 version is in the list, but this is the PS1 version developed by Eutechnyx).

Also I came close to buying Andretti Racing, but the back of the box didn't have the SLEH-0003 badge of honour. Elsewhere online I see it listed as supporting the Analogue Joystick peripheral, but not the neGcon. Can anyone verify for me that Andretti Racing does support the neGcon?
itsgood2slide

Postby Ghegs » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:26 pm

Thanks, I added VR Sports Powerboat Racing and Le Mans 24 Hours to the list.

As for Andretti Racing, the game's JP release does appear to have the SLPH-00001 badge on it, that's the product code for the neGcon in Japan. You can just make it out here, I was unable to find a better picture of the back cover.
Ghegs

Next

Return to Pit Stop