I recieved today...

Discussion not focusing on a single game or series. Also forum-related matters.

Re: I recieved today...

Postby Ghegs » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:32 am

I was in need of a new mousepad, so...

(I like using my mousepads vertically, so I made the pad like so.)
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby itsgood2slide » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:24 pm

So who knew big box PS2 games was a thing?

ImageImageImage
itsgood2slide

Postby Ghegs » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:25 pm

Huh, never seen such a thing.

That game's by Phoenix Games and they have a pretty bad rep - how is it?
Ghegs

Postby itsgood2slide » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:04 pm

This was my first* Phoenix game and yes I was aware of their reputation!

It's not too bad, really. I played it for a couple of hours and had fun. While it is top down, the tracks have a lot of verticality and this significantly affects how to approach both uphill and downhill sectors. And while the screenshots on the box are very blurry, I found the graphics quite crisp and colourful.

The camera position is quite odd because you can actually see slightly more of what is behind you than what is in front of you. And sometimes the camera will need to zoom out due to the height of the landscape, and when it does you can see that the engine could have coped fine with being zoomed out and letting you see further ahead.

The box claims that it includes 10 games, but a fairer description is that the game is setup like Micro Machines - there are 10 vehicle classes and each one has its own set of 5 tracks, 3 vehicles and a championship. At first I thought this would mean that the game must have a rather generous 50 tracks, but actually there are 11 tracks which are recycled across the 10 'games', sometimes reversed and/or mirrored. This leads to some tracks seeming rather out of place in the game given their title and menu screen.

For example, here is the menu screen for the 'game' titled Lost In Snow:

which seems to imply that this 'game' involves racing through snow, but the first track I chose (which are merely numbered rather than named) looked like this:

ImageImage

So it seems it was the snow that was lost... ;)

Oh and each 'game' has only one music track, so you get to enjoy that 5 times in a row if you do a championship. And the music tracks are pretty similar too, sometimes sounding like remixes or rearrangements of the same piece.

Anyway, it was still much better than I thought it would be, given Phoenix's reputation and the blurry screenshots. I only really bought it because it was such a strange thing to see a big box PS2 game, so the fact that I had some fun with it was a real bonus.

*edit: talking about Touge 3 / Road Rage 3 in another thread made me realise I already had a Phoenix published game
Last edited by itsgood2slide on Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
itsgood2slide

Postby SamsungMinen » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:04 pm

Ladies and gentlemen...

WipEout 3 Special Edition bundled with Destruction Derby PAL.

Looks like a budget Eastern European print to me, because...

The captinos are in: Czech, Hungarian, Polish and Slovak respectively.
Ancient This vanished.
SamsungMinen

Postby Ghegs » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:27 pm

The pad-with-a-wheel I mentioned in another thread:

It's about the same size as a PS2 pad, so it's a bit small for my hands.

This is as far as the wheel turns, will be interesting to see how it works out:

Unfortunately the included CD with the drivers and configuration software had cracked into two during delivery, so I've been unable to test it out yet. I sent a mail to the shop, hopefully they can provide me with a download link.
Ghegs

Postby itsgood2slide » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:25 am

So is that designed to be operated with your thumbs while you hold the controller in the usual way? I guess that looks more like a racing controller, but functionally I cannot see it being a better option than a neGcon or an UltraRacer...

I will be interested to read your hands-on impressions, when you are able!
itsgood2slide

Postby Ghegs » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:13 pm

Got it working now, review here.
Ghegs

Postby Ghegs » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:45 pm

Not racing related as such, but...

Analogue NT Mini and the unofficial NES/Famicom Visual Compendium which I Kickstarted. They happened to arrive just a day apart, couldn't have timed such an explosion of 8-bit goodness better even by design.
Ghegs

Postby Ghegs » Tue May 30, 2017 5:18 pm

Cost me all of €5. I felt like I was back in the 90's having to actually change CDs during installation, this thing has a whooping three of them! There's a widescreen fix available too, so it still looks quite nice indeed.
Ghegs

Postby spectre » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:54 am

I recieved this gem yesterday

Don't have any time to play though :lol:
spectre

Postby itsgood2slide » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:46 pm

ah yes very good! I need to get around to playing the DLC : )
itsgood2slide

Postby Thunderer » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:51 am

Pity the DLCs are console exclusive.
Rest in peace Ridge Racer franchise, 1993-2012. Never forget, never forgive.
Thunderer

Postby itsgood2slide » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:42 pm

Ah that sucks. I wonder if there is still the cheeky gap on the track select screen which the DLC fills if you buy it.

I just can't understand why publishers wouldn't want to sell the DLC to everyone. Another example is Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed which only had DLC released on PC. I really wanted Ryo Hazuki with his OutRun, Hang On and Afterburner arcade cabinets!
itsgood2slide

Postby clp » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:28 am

Ghegs wrote:Image

Cost me all of €5. I felt like I was back in the 90's having to actually change CDs during installation, this thing has a whooping three of them! There's a widescreen fix available too, so it still looks quite nice indeed.

How did you get on with this? i think it's a really stellar game but i couldn't get past the final 3 or so mountain races with the pikes peak cars, really hard shit.
clp

Postby Ghegs » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:04 pm

clp wrote:How did you get on with this? i think it's a really stellar game but i couldn't get past the final 3 or so mountain races with the pikes peak cars, really hard shit.

I must admit I haven't played the game terribly much yet, I've only run some Single Races every now and then but haven't delved into the Career mode.
Ghegs

Postby clp » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:04 am

Ghegs wrote:
clp wrote:How did you get on with this? i think it's a really stellar game but i couldn't get past the final 3 or so mountain races with the pikes peak cars, really hard shit.

I must admit I haven't played the game terribly much yet, I've only run some Single Races every now and then but haven't delved into the Career mode.

The career mode is basically 75% easy but then the last 4 or so cups all hill challenges with pikes peak cars are ridiculously difficult at least for me. Curious to see how it fares with steering wheel controls as i use digital atm.
clp

Postby spectre » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:46 am

re-aquired this title yesterday. Regretted selling it in the first place...

spectre

Postby Ghegs » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:34 am

clp wrote:
Ghegs wrote:

The career mode is basically 75% easy but then the last 4 or so cups all hill challenges with pikes peak cars are ridiculously difficult at least for me. Curious to see how it fares with steering wheel controls as i use digital atm.

Started the Career mode today. I was able to do the first three cups without a problem, but last of the Pro events has a huge spike in difficulty. Suddenly a fairly minor error puts you 5 seconds behind the pack. Need more practice.

The mediterranean tracks are really fun. And really easy to fly out of, no barriers protecting you from a 50-foot drop...
Ghegs

Postby Ghegs » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:11 pm

Managed to get my hands on a SNES Classic Mini. Nice little piece, though I have zero nostalgia for the system as I've never had one. Haven't even tried all the games yet, but F-Zero's pretty cool at least.
Ghegs

Postby itsgood2slide » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:44 am

Ghegs wrote:Managed to get my hands on a SNES Classic Mini. Nice little piece, though I have zero nostalgia for the system as I've never had one. Haven't even tried all the games yet, but F-Zero's pretty cool at least.

I am in the same situation (the only time I have used a SNES was at the National Videogame Arcade in Nottingham), except that I have not used it because it did not come with a power cable :roll:

I might be able to cobble something together with my PS4 controller charging cable, but I once broke an mp3 player by using a USB to AC adaptor that came with a different device so I might err on the side of caution and buy an all-in-one USB charger.

Any excitement of receiving it in the post was quickly diminished by me quickly discovering that I did not have the means to actually use it. I hope Nintendo realise just how much this kind of thing can sour the experience and will, at least to some degree, put me off buying products from them in the future.
itsgood2slide

Postby spectre » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:55 am

Last week I got a really good deal on an Xbox One S and yesterday I bought Forza Motorsport 7. Now, my latest Forza Motorsport was 4 on the Xbox 360, so this new game blows me away. Sure, the graphics has gotten a lot better but I'm most impressed about the huge improvement in the sound department. Especially the tire squeal.

And the triggers on the controller has haptic feedback, so you can literally feel when the ABS kicks in, giving you a chance to let go a little for better stopping power.

Love it so far
spectre

Postby spectre » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:19 pm

Ordered a used copy but recieved a new and sealed copy? Can't complain about that :lol:

spectre

Postby Us3l3ss » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:36 am

I got myself an arcade stick pcb.
Us3l3ss

Previous

Return to General Discussion