Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast

Outrun, Sega Rally, Daytona USA, Initial D, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, etc...

Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast

Postby 1up » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:04 pm

I played around with Outrun 2 Coast 2 Coast for PC today and have some questions.

In outrun mode there's both Outrun 2 and Outrun 2 SP. I know the difference between these two and you have to earn outrun points to unlock new cars.

But on the main menu there's also an Outrun 2 SP and here the cars are unlocked and I don't think it gives you outrun points. Is the one on the main menu the arcade version? Is there any difference between the OR2SP on the main menu and the one in outrun mode besides locked cars? is the difficulty different?
Last edited by 1up on Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
1up

Re: Outrun 2 Coast 2 Coast

Postby SamsungMinen » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:37 pm

I think one is the arcade version while the other one is bespoke and they handle differently. Drifting in the latter is supposed to be easier, but once I start driving, I can't remember which version I've chosen. I don't do much serious thinking as I play OutRun 2006.
Ancient This vanished.
SamsungMinen

Postby bareknuckleroo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:26 am

First off, there's no such thing as Outrun 2: Coast 2 Coast. There are two different modern Outrun games: Outrun 2 which had an arcade release and an Xbox port (with some bonus challenge tracks only found on that version apparently, I've never played it) and then there's an updated sequel, Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast, usually just called Outrun 2006. Outrun 2 and Outrun 2006 are two different games.

Outrun 2006 has several different game modes including a multiplayer LAN mode and an arcade port of Outrun 2SP. The Outrun 2SP mode you can pick on the main menu is just a port of the original arcade version, including both the original Outrun 2 courses and the Outrun 2SP courses (you can change the difficulty under the options, it's set to Very Easy by default which is too easy in my opinion, set it to Normal!). This is the mode that has the silly endings with credits when you beat it, but you don't get any rewards/unlockables for playing it, it's just supposed to be an arcade mode.

The "Single Player" option has all of the additional content added to 2006, including the Coast 2 Coast challenge races, the extra cars, the extra remixed tracks (Euro Mixes, Prototypes, etc), the reversed routes, and so on. You can pick any of the standard game modes in single player (Outrun, Heart Attack, Time Attack). Any mode you play in Single Player will reward you Outrun Miles which you can use to buy new content in the showroom.

Gameplay-wise, the drifting and collision mechanics are the same in both the arcade port of Outrun 2SP and Outrun 2006 specific modes. Specifically, drifting is a bit easier, and collisions with traffic are much more forgiving than in Outrun 2; you pretty much won't crash if you hit traffic during a drift and you'll just scrape off them, whereas in Outrun 2, hitting traffic during a drift can cause you to suffer a crash if you slide into them, at least this is my experience playing the arcade version. The difficulty in the Outrun 2006 modes seems to be locked at Outrun 2SP's Very Easy equivalent, that is to say you'll have lots of extra time leftover at each checkpoint if you're doing well so it's very forgiving in terms of time (the Coast 2 Coast challenges do get extremely tough though, especially the high rank ones!).
bareknuckleroo

Postby 1up » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:13 pm

Does anyone know if the ps2 version supports steering wheels and if it has force feedback?
1up

Postby Ghegs » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:32 pm

The PS2 version doesn't seem to support wheels at all, surprisingly enough. The manual doesn't mention anything about wheels, and when I booted the game up, my Driving Force GT didn't react.
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby Fudoh » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:29 pm

The japanese OR2SP on the PS2 supports my GT25 wheel along with force feedback.
This said, the japanese version is considerably better than the US and PAL versions anyway.
Fudoh

Postby 1up » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:07 pm

Fudoh wrote:The japanese OR2SP on the PS2 supports my GT25 wheel along with force feedback.
This said, the japanese version is considerably better than the US and PAL versions anyway.

considerably better how? I really want to hunt down the japanese version now. I really want force feedback. Some dude was looking into adding/enabling force feedback in the pc version and got pretty far but just vanished without a trace all of a sudden. Hopefully they will give a re-release classics collection the full treatment in the future.
1up

Postby Fudoh » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:32 pm

Didn't I just recently read about new updates to the PC version ? Can't have been more than two weeks.

Back in the days I read an (print) article about OR2 and it said that Sega rejected Sumo's PS2 version for the japanese release. They sent them back to the drawing board and had them tweak the version considerably for the japan release - hence pushing the Japan release to nearly 10 months after the US-NTSC release.

I've been playing the jp release since it's release in 2007 and I have only tried the US NTSC version years later. Differences were shocking. So many framerate issues with the US version. You also get a few more soundtrack options and of course a few design tweaks.

Wheels are supported, but you can't change the button layout, so on my G25 everything's a little mixed up over the various buttons. Force feedback strength can be adjusted.
Fudoh

Postby d123456 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:44 pm

I'm going to try to set up LAN with 2 ps2's. Apparently only Coast 2 Coast has that option.
Sumo removed it from the Japanese OR2SP version, bummer....
d123456

Postby 1up » Tue May 20, 2014 6:35 am

So, I spent most of sunday tinkering around with PCSX2 and an image of Outrun 2006 (jpn). PCSX2 now has a plugin for wheel support and those games that had force feedback on the original hardware will now have it with PCSX2.

My PC was not fast enough for a stable 60fps, so now I will have to hunt down the japanese PS2 version. Anyone have one for sale or know where to look? Preferably in the EU so I can avoid import duties.
1up

Postby 1up » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:07 am

We're in luck.

There's this guy, Howard Casto, on arcadecontrols.com who has been digging into the code on the PC version of Outrun 2006, and he has made some great discoveries. He built a racing cabinet and I guess he wants the PC version to be closer to the Arcade version.

He has so far..
activated force feedback
unlocked 2 songs that otherwise are unavailable
redone some of the menus
replaced the keyboard prompts with arcade graphics
unlocked the helicopter view
made a wrapper so you can use custom songs

Here's a video of some of it

youtu.be/NRHXy_jHUTg

There's alpha builds out there and will post it later. I can't access arcadecontrols from work.
1up

Re: Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast

Postby 1up » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:47 pm

I reinstalled Outrun 2006 on my PC again yesterday. Got everything setup and took it for a spin. I don't know if I haven't noticed this before but this game has a HUGE deadzone? I have my Logitech G27 set to 270 degrees of rotation.

Is there any way to reduce the deadzone?
1up

Postby FIL » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:54 pm

I should have a copy of this arriving during the week (along with a G27 tomorrow hopefully). Shame the online doesn't work anymore.
FIL

Postby Ghegs » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:11 am

FIL wrote:Shame the online doesn't work anymore.

It should be possible to play online using a VPN so that all the participants are in a virtual LAN. I've made some instructions here, if you want to give it a try.

It'd be awesome if that arcadecontrols guy would also make normal multiplayer possible (direct connection via TCP/IP) but that might be too tall an order.
Ghegs

Postby FIL » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:12 pm

I've managed to set up the G27 with my dodgy copy of OR2006 (waiting for the legit one to arrive). Took a bit of fiddling but I managed to get it to recognise the seperate pedals. Now all I need to do is stop my chair rolling backwards when I hit the brakes.
FIL

Postby Lee » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:56 pm

Call me stupid but I can't find how to unlock/use the tuned cars. Are they in the PC version? I see people doing time trails with Tuned MT written near the speedometer.
Lee

Postby Ghegs » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:52 pm

If you play the normal single player mode (=select Single Player in the main menu), you need to first purchase the Tuned cars from the Showroom with your Outrun points. In the car selection screen you need to then press Tab to change to Outrun car class.

If you play the Outrun 2 SP mode (Outrun2SP in the main menu), it's a simple and obvious selection to use Tuned cars when doing Time Attack.

Hope that helps!
Ghegs

Postby Lee » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:53 pm

Cheers for the reply.

I'm still confused, though. Are you saying that the Outrun class is the same as Tuned? I have the Outrun cars and when I read stuff online, it's as if there's a 3rd class with better handling. Or maybe Outrun class is called Tuned in Outrun Online Arcade (which I don't have).
Lee

Postby FIL » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:25 pm

They're the equivalent of them. They look cooler in outrun 2006 though, there is no visual difference in online arcade.
FIL

Postby 1up » Wed May 06, 2015 7:30 pm

Somebody help me before I murder my Xbox 360. I've been playing Outrun Online Arcade all day and the points for large vehicles is so inconsistent!!!

I know that slipstreaming while passing cars doubles your points, and after getting frustrated with the large vehicles I found this site, that explains it all!!

3,750pts if you hit/scrape the large vehicle you're passing
7,500pts if you make a clean pass
15,000pts if you make a clean pass while slipstreaming

BUT

numerous times while passing large vehicles on the bridge in stage 2 (left fork) it WILL NOT give me 15,000pts for passing the big rig while slipstreaming. On that part it's almost impossible NOT to slipstream. I can see that I slipstream as I get double points for regular cars
3,000pts car passed
7,500pts large vehicle passed
3,000pts car passed

What am I missing?!?

Also, regarding large vehicles it's fucking nitpicky with the slipstreaming status. With Rival cars you can slipstream the Rival car, pull along side and pass for 50,000pts. I have experienced several times that even having a slow-blinking slipstream text will not net you 15,000pts for large vehicles :evil: It HAS to be fast blinking and even then it's like the game only awards you 15,000pts if it feels like it...
1up

Postby 1up » Thu May 07, 2015 5:02 pm

Playing for a couple of hours today I think I finally figured it out. You have to pass the large vehicle in the lane right next to it. And it's actually quite generous with the slipstreaming for large vehicles, like the rivals, that you have a couple of seconds after slipstreaming to pass and get the double points.

Regular cars still have to be passed while slipstreaming to get double points.

The game has totally changed for me when playing for score. You have to chose a route through traffic to optimize your score. When in the same lane as traffic the car in that lane will speed up and enable you to slipstream longer and therefore get more points (points count faster when slipstreaming). While doing this you have to not touch any cars for maximum points, pass close to large vehicles and cleanly pass Rivals while slipstreaming to get double points. All the while you persue the optimal line to get to the checkpoints as fast as possible as faster = more points awarded at the checkpoint.

My best so far is a low 1.3 million but the #1 on the leaderboards has 1.7+million :o
1up

Postby Ghegs » Thu May 07, 2015 5:23 pm

Sounds cool. I remember reading that it's possible to manipulate the traffic for optimal scoring, but I have no idea how that's done.
Ghegs

Postby 1up » Thu May 07, 2015 5:33 pm

Yeah, I'm still learning to manipulate the traffic. What it means is that when you come up to a group of cars you get in the lane of the car that's at the back of the pack. Now that car will speed up and you slipstream it and the counter turn blue and starts counting faster. When the car you're slipstreaming catches up to the next car in the pack, you switch lanes and start slipstreaming that car as it will now start to speed up. It's kinda like chaining in shmups :lol:

There's also a way to manipulate traffic to switch lanes but I haven't figured out how that works yet.
1up

Postby 1up » Fri May 08, 2015 8:54 pm

More discoveries today. I learned that unless you slipstream a Rival you won't get double points (50,000pts). As I got better I would catch up to Rivals earlier than before and was able to slipstream traffic past the Rival without slipstreaming the Rival. It only got me the regular 25,000pts.

so this is how double points work
regular cars -3,000pts - slipstream anything
large vehicles - 15,000pts - slipstream in lane next to vehicle
rival cars - 50,000pts - slipstream rival for atleast a little bit
1up

Postby d123456 » Sun May 10, 2015 9:46 pm

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... 891.0.html
Loads of modding and info right here
That is one gigantic read. Who has the balls to read through 17 long long pages?
d123456

Postby 1up » Mon May 11, 2015 5:26 am

Yes, I've been following that thread for a couple of months. Howard went missing some months ago and just recently returned. Apparantly he's been sick and had to step out for a while. He's the one who's been dissecting the outrun 2006 (pc) code. He found some interesting stuff in there like art files from the arcade version and force feedback output that isn't being utilized.

He's trying to implement force feedback in the PC version and is also making HD graphics updates and altering the intro and UI to resemble the arcade version. I'm looking forward to when everything is done. By that time though, there might be a working emulator for Chihiro :lol:

I found some more stuff yesterday regarding score. I thought the checkpoint bonuses was a result of how fast you could complete the stage but that doesn't seem to be the case. I recorded some runs and saw that sometimes a slower stage time nettet more points? Stage 1 in 1min+ nettet me 48k points while doing it in 0'58min only got me 35k points? My theory is that you build the checkpoint bonus by slipstreaming. The more you can slipstream the higher your checkpoint bonus will be.
Watching replays of good players on youtube I can see they get around 65k points for most checkpoints while I only manage to get around 40k.
1up

Postby FIL » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:43 pm

I was playing this again recently and I noticed a weird bug that I don't recall seeing before. In the main single player modes, when I use certain cars, either the driver, passenger or both are missing. I probably haven't noticed because I normally choose the 288 GTO so I guess it's been like that from day 1 without me knowing. That doesn't happen when I play Outrun 2 SP from the main menu, only when I go into Single Player.

It's a legit copy too so it's super weird. Maybe it's a Win10 thing?
FIL

Postby Gakman » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:59 am

I've found a new version of improvment patch : Outrun 2 FXT 2.3
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... msg1531351

But in China, there's a lot of arcade cabinets with a kind of improved OutRun 2 C2C PC, named OutRun 2012 or 2013 (and sometimes OR2 PS2). Do you know differences with stock C2C, or is this just the use of the previous patch?
Gakman

Postby mickael28 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:39 pm

1up wrote:you have a couple of seconds after slipstreaming to pass and get the double points.

Regular cars still have to be passed while slipstreaming to get double points.

Hi, sorry, really basic question. I've just started playing this game a few days ago and I am wondering, what is slipstreaming in this game? I've seen the message quite frequently on my screen, but what am I suppose to do?

And how do I know that I am indeed slipstreaming? Is there any indication that my car is doing it?
mickael28

Postby Ghegs » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:16 am

Slipstreaming is just driving behind another car.

The indicators being that message on screen and the fact that your car's acceleration and top speed are increased a bit while doing it.
Ghegs

Next

Return to Sega Racers