FREE DAYTONA USA ONLINE COACHING HERE!

Outrun, Sega Rally, Daytona USA, Initial D, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, etc...

Re: FREE DAYTONA USA ONLINE COACHING HERE!

Postby Billkwando » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:08 am

Ghegs wrote:Hey there, welcome to the forums!

You scrape against the wall quite a few times there, that hurts your time a lot. I'm used to playing with km/h instead of mph so that might mess with my perception, but seems like you bleed off too much speed before returning to fourth gear from the second. In your second lap (the one with the best lap time) your speed drops to just below 180 mph during the drift, while on some other laps it goes way down to the 160 range. Maybe try playing the game in time attack mode first so you can tweak your lines and technique without worrying about the other drivers?

Did you know it's also possible to go through the pit lane without activating it? If you keep to the very right, so your tires are almost touching the grass, that should get you through it and save you some time. But that's more of a time attack technique, it's not needed to get first place in a race against the AI.

Thanks for the advice! I do try to stay off the wall, but it doesn't always work out. ;)

Here's another run, and once again, my 2nd lap is the fastest. Take a look and let me know how I could make it faster. I'm just realizing for the first time that I'm actually supposed to try and keep up with the cars ahead of me, haha! It seems obvious, but I'm just so used to being left behind when I hit that turn, I've been trying to keep the car's nose a little more forward, instead of grinding the car sideways like I'm playing Sega Rally or something. What can I say, I love a good (bad) perpendicular drift! :D

youtu.be/jpjrRkp9JIA

I did know about the pit trick, but I'm trying to improve "legit" for now. Plus they're opening a Dave & Buster's near me soon, so when I go and take their scoreboard I don't wanna get in a fistfight with some kid's angry dad for "cheating". Hahahahahahahahahahaha
Billkwando

Postby Ghegs » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:55 pm

I think at this point it's all about consistency. Your second lap was good, but you had some unfortunate fumbles in the following laps. If you can just keep up the pace you showed in your second lap, you should have no problems taking #1 spot. Keep at it!

After you do reach the podium, what's your next goal? Will you move to time attacking the track or start racing the Dinosaur Canyon?
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby Billkwando » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:27 am

Ghegs wrote:I think at this point it's all about consistency. Your second lap was good, but you had some unfortunate fumbles in the following laps. If you can just keep up the pace you showed in your second lap, you should have no problems taking #1 spot. Keep at it!

After you do reach the podium, what's your next goal? Will you move to time attacking the track or start racing the Dinosaur Canyon?

I'll probably do time attack, and dabble in DC as well. I've always been terrible at the other tracks, but I think what I learn on the beginner ring will put me in a much better position now. Like you said, I just have to keep practicing, and remembering that it's not Outrun 2. :P

I'm sure I'll be posting another video soon!
Billkwando

Postby Billkwando » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:42 am

Here's my latest attempt, from last weekend. I finished 2nd and beat my fastest lap (it was lap 1 too). I actually made it up to 3rd, ended up mowing the grass hard, fell to 7th, and then made it back up to 3rd almost right away. I was actually in 1st briefly, but then of course I choked and messed up, finishing 2nd. I have no doubt that if I could make it through with no mistakes, I can win against the AI on normal. I'll be back at it again this weekend, I'm sure.

youtu.be/smRhr6FGTEE

I still don't quite know what I'm doing drift/shift wise. I can do it, but I seem to do it a little differently every time. I do notice that I'm getting better at controlling the drift, and at saving the drift when I'm pushed into a bad spot going into that turn. I even manage to push the other cars around a little bit now. I just need to learn to be more consistent. It's amazing how many times I can race this one track and still learn more, and still not get tired of it. :D

BTW, am I the only freakazoid who doesn't use the outside the car view? Hood view it soooo awesome!!
Billkwando

Postby Ghegs » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:37 am

Billkwando wrote:It's amazing how many times I can race this one track and still learn more, and still not get tired of it. :D

That's the beauty of the game. You're almost there, keep pushing it!

Just wait until you get really started on the Advanced course. A wise man once said that the last corner of Dinosaur Canyon has more depth to it than most racing games have in total.

BTW, am I the only freakazoid who doesn't use the outside the car view? Hood view it soooo awesome!!

I tend to favour either bumper cam or third-person, but which I use really depends on the game. And I'm not exactly sure what makes the difference, some games just feel better with the former, others with the latter.
Ghegs

Postby Billkwando » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:21 am

Ghegs wrote:
Billkwando wrote:It's amazing how many times I can race this one track and still learn more, and still not get tired of it. :D

That's the beauty of the game. You're almost there, keep pushing it!

Just wait until you get really started on the Advanced course. A wise man once said that the last corner of Dinosaur Canyon has more depth to it than most racing games have in total.

I tend to favour either bumper cam or third-person, but which I use really depends on the game. And I'm not exactly sure what makes the difference, some games just feel better with the former, others with the latter.

I've always been a bumper cam man myself. Always. It's just with the racing seat I like to use the hood cam like a big dorkus. I have a 50 inch TV, so it really does look car-sized almost. LOL

Oh and check it out. I finally won one. I screwed up a few times along the way...and let's not talk about the terrible 15 or so races I ran both before and after this one. Consistency.....it's a thing!

youtu.be/w7Jer5xDbOM

Public Service Announcement: Switching to Grand Prix or Endurance mode on the arcade version will reset your scoreboard!!! You have been warned.

...That is all... :twisted:
Billkwando

Postby Ghegs » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:18 pm

Nice job. :)
Ghegs

Postby spectre » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:15 am

I've been playing A LOT of Daytona USA on XBLA this weekend and have gotten my time on Dinosaur Canyon down from 03:06.xx to 03:00.26. I've been studying Demolitionx's video and I just can't fathom how to take that last corner at full speed in 4th? I either spin out or the car coasts outwards onto the grass...
I'm now using 3rd gear to go around the corner at about 290mk/h.

I think I've gotten everything down but 1 other corner. it's the uphill right hander after the tunnel. Demolitionx is taking that turn with 300+ km/h. I take it at 290km/h. If I try and take it with 300 I hit the outside wall. I just can't angle the car fast enough?

Will see if I can get a video of a run recorded. It seems I'm losing 1.5 seconds per lap on average
spectre

Postby spectre » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:35 pm

Help!

I've finally recorded a run. The first 2 laps is a good indicator of where my level of performance is at. I messed up a bit on lap 3 and completely messed up on lap 4.

Where do I find 1.5seconds per lap?

youtu.be/gy9FuLCm1V0
spectre

Postby Ghegs » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:19 pm

I think you're at about the same level as I am (or was when I played the game more actively), so the next order of business would be learning the ratchet technique for the final corner. There's an example of that here from TeamDemolitionX.

Basically you do the last corner with 4-2-4 but I really have no idea how it's accomplished, other than what deca has talked about. I sent him a message a little while ago, hopefully he'll open it up a bit more.
Ghegs

Postby spectre » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:23 pm

After watching that video I can see where that time is lost. Their average speed is about 10km/h faster than mine in all corners :lol:

I've been practicing more tonight and have gotten the ratchet method to work sometimes. But it's a fine balance of not going too wide and not spinning out. You have to be real delicate with the steering. I can't do the full right lock on the last turn like the dude in the video. That will make me spin out?

Maybe it's speed dependant? If you go 300+km/h around the last turn you can turn full lock without spinning? I don't know...
spectre

Postby spectre » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:52 am

Regarding the last turn on Advanced I have a theory I have to test out. After thinking about it for a few days and practicing the Expert track I experienced something new.

It seems that when you're in a drift and you return the steering to center then after about a second or so, the tires stop spinning but you're still drifting at an angle but can now steer. It's hard to explain but after re-watching the Advanced video, my theory is this:

I noticed they initiate the drift really early. I think this is to get the car angled at the right position before the turn actually starts and to let the car settle with the neutral steering potision.

So, approchaing the last turn you go from 4th to 2nd and turn the steering wheel right and the back to center. After about a second, you turn the steering wheel right again and shift to 4th and the back to center.

So far so good. After about another second the car should settle and you're allowed to turn right full lock without spinning out.

Can anyone confirm this is how it works?

I did some practice on Expert yesterday and found a way to get around the track pretty quick, but not Demolitionx2006 quick :lol: I haven't practice the first wall bounce or the 4-2-4 technique anywhere. Mostly just 3rd gear coasting in most places.

Best lap time so far is 1'38"xx and best total time is 3'25"64 but not in the same race. If I put 2 good laps together I can maybe hit 3'21"00 or maybe even a high 3'20"xx?
spectre

Postby Dopop » Fri May 05, 2017 1:30 pm

Hi TDX,

You've got alot of great Yt vids up and thanks for sharing them! I don't know how to take the last turn on expert, can you please go over on how it is done? Thanks for your help and I appreciate it!
Dopop

Postby Lee » Fri May 05, 2017 8:29 pm

In this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYAaa9p7WW8 (not embedding it), I noticed the steering needs a full lock on the first long curve. Is that the normal behaviour on the arcade? You just lightly steer that on the emulator.

(I don't know why I ask, I hate the game. It never controls right.)
Lee

Previous

Return to Sega Racers