Racing game news

Discussion not focusing on a single game or series. Also forum-related matters.

Re: Racing game news

Postby Ghegs » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:12 pm

Codemasters is to release ONRUSH, a new arcade racer in summer 2018. The trailer looks to have a very Motorstorm-esque vibe, though no actual gameplay is shown.

A bit odd, but the site only mentions PS4 and Xbox One versions, no PC. But seeing how the last time Codemasters released a console racing game without a PC version was around 00's in the PS1 era, I'm fairly confident the game will see a PC release as well.
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby itsgood2slide » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:18 pm

Ghegs wrote:The trailer looks to have a very Motorstorm-esque vibe

It's the return of Evolution Studios : )
itsgood2slide

Postby bVork » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:08 pm

This has been confirmed to be coming to PC at a later date. It's a bit of a shame but at least it is getting a PC version.
bVork

Postby spectre » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:53 am

Onrush is going to come out at a good time. I sense that people crave an arcade racer. Never played a motorstorm game but this looks pretty crazy to me.
spectre

Postby d123456 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:00 pm

spectre wrote:Onrush is going to come out at a good time. I sense that people crave an arcade racer. Never played a motorstorm game but this looks pretty crazy to me.

This Onrush is just a console racer, nothing arcadey about it. Indeed if this looks like fun to you, just check out any Motorstorm game on PS2/PS3 and probably some psps or vita ports exist too.
d123456

Postby Thunderer » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:09 am

bVork wrote:This has been confirmed to be coming to PC at a later date. It's a bit of a shame but at least it is getting a PC version.

Better'd hoping they don't deliberately fuck up the PC port this time then.

Nevertheless I'd like to see mainstream's reception upon its release considering last time before the genre's death Burnout style racers has been widely labeled as something negative.

just check out any Motorstorm game on PS2/PS3 and probably some psps or vita ports exist too.

Personally I consider Arctic Edge (the one on PS2/PSP) to be very mediocre though. Perhaps it has to do with its weird ass AI (sometimes they rubber bands like hell, sometimes they forgot how to turn).
Rest in peace Ridge Racer franchise, 1993-2012. Never forget, never forgive.
Thunderer

Postby Ghegs » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:57 pm

VR Stock Car Racers is due out in a few days and it looks like it could be a fun Daytona USA-type of thing. Unfortunately, it's VR only. However, I asked on the Steam forums if there were any plans for a non-VR version to be released, and the developers responded that if they get enough requests, they'll think about it. So hey, tell 'em you'd be interested and let's see what happens.
Ghegs

Postby itsgood2slide » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:23 pm

Thank you for sharing. If they were to port it to PSVR I would definitely give it a go!
itsgood2slide

Postby Ghegs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:28 am

youtu.be/kRHGqBHlbNY

Antigraviator is set to become the latest in the line of futuristic racing games with weapons. Out in Q2 2018 for PS4, Xbox One and PC via Steam.
Ghegs

Postby skoeldpadda » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:35 pm

Wow. That will be, what, the sixth or seventh of the type in the past two or three years ?
I'm glad Wipeout-likes have their chance to shine in the current nostalgia-filled gaming industry, but they do so little to differenciate themselves (from each other and from their originator, which is even still running today)...

I remember the nineties having their faire share of the "futuristic racing games with weapons", but you had Extreme-G, Dethkarz, MegaRace, Jet Moto, Killer Loop, Scorcher... Even some without weapons like pod, Powerslide or Motorhead. They were everywhere. And yet, you couldn't really mistake one from another.
Yan Holliday, a.k.a. skoeldpadda. Cabinet driver. Roguelikes PhD. Shmup scholar.
skoeldpadda

Postby Ghegs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:23 pm

This one does look to be chipped right off the Wipeout tree. With the bulky craft that look to have a lot of weight to them, you could've told me the footage was from Formula Fusion and I would've believed it.

Still, maybe the customization aspects brings some fresh air to it. We'll see.

That segues nicely into Break Arts II which is also a futuristic racing game out soon, only it has mechs and has absolutely ridiculous amount of customization options. Think Armored Core where you can set individual components to different parts on the mech while trying to keep the whole thing under a weight limit.
Ghegs

Postby skoeldpadda » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:49 pm

Yeah. That one I'm curious about.
The first one was a mobile game. I've never tried it, but from what I've read, it's quite obtuse, has a bad framerate, and is really hard to play due to the control scheme. Coming to PC, it still honestly looks to be half unplayable even with a proper controller, but it also looks like the closest thing you could get from an hypothetical Virtual On Racing, and that really intrigues me.
Yan Holliday, a.k.a. skoeldpadda. Cabinet driver. Roguelikes PhD. Shmup scholar.
skoeldpadda

Postby Thunderer » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:18 am

The first game is not worth at all. Atrociously bad graphics (looks like early PSX era game with lens flare abuse), extremely clunky handling (including weapon controls) and non-existent track design.

It's as if the game's made for you to spent more time customizing mecha than doing the actual race itself.
Thunderer

Postby skoeldpadda » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:06 pm

Well, that's the point with making follow-ups, right ? Try to do a better job ?

...Maybe ? :P
(I frankly don't hold much hope, but I'll try it anyway.)
skoeldpadda

Postby Thunderer » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:31 pm

At least for the sequel looks much better than its predecessor and I don't give any fuck for the gameplay. I need something for my Japanese mecha customizing sim itch right now that there'll likely won't be any new Armored Core until the next couple of years.
Thunderer

Postby AkumajoBelmont » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:34 am

In regards to Antigraviator, there's a demo up on itch.io... at least using the itch.io Client. I downloaded it a while back, but it doesn't seem to be there on the web version of the page...

It's definitely promising, though! It's very much FAST Racing Neo/RMX without the polarity switching. The visuals, music and handling all seem to be inspired by FAST. It's already looking sharp too, and the controls are a decent start, if fairly basic and shallow at the minute. The build I have hints at a traditional air-brake system, but in game at the moment it's basically RT Accelerate, LT Airbrake (depends on the direction you're facing) and A Boost.

I'm really hoping there's some depth added to the controls, because right now, they're perfectly servicable at best, rather than something layered that keeps you coming back for more.

Even going on this build though, the team seems to know what they're doing. It's solid so far, but I can't say I'm not hoping there's a little more personality injected into it at some point. Again though, it's a great foundation.

Here's the itch.io page. If you've got the client, then do have a check to see if it's still able to be downloaded. Maybe they removed the download because of the Steam thing, but I can't be sure, and I'm not willing to uninstall the build just to test, just in case I can't re-download it :P

https://cyberneticwalrus.itch.io/antigraviator
AkumajoBelmont

Postby Ghegs » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:55 pm

youtu.be/-G4JCOV8hFM

Horizon Chase: World Tour, which was a mobile game from a few years ago that won several accolades, is getting a sequel/remix called Horizon Chase Turbo, out next year for PC and PS4.

Racers following the mold of the original OutRun seem to be coming out of the woodworks in droves.
Ghegs

Postby skoeldpadda » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:31 pm

Oh, that's nice.
Horizon Chase is one of the very best racers on mobile (well, the very best if you ask me :P ). Smooth gameplay, even smoother graphics. That's seriously on my PC waiting list.

Ghegs wrote:Racers following the mold of the original OutRun seem to be coming out of the woodworks in droves.

Indeed.
Note that this one is actually a clone of a clone, sort of. It is very intentionally evocative of Top Gear, the SNES port by Kemco of Lotus Turbo Challenge, which was one of the best Outrun-likes on Amiga/Atari ST (although I've always preferred Crazy Cars III).
skoeldpadda

Postby AkumajoBelmont » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:57 am

I've been absolutely hanging out for Horizon Chase on PC. The mobile version is great, but I couldn't help but want for a bigger screen whilst playing. Still put a ton of time into it though. This will be another day one purchase for me. There seem to be a lot lately, racing games and not, haha.
AkumajoBelmont

Postby skoeldpadda » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:27 pm

In the trailer category, Milestone has just released one about Gravel's career mode. We knew it was built around the idea of a TV show, well, it looks even stupider (in a good way) than anticipated.

youtu.be/5NU_p7TxBjA

It's not Split/Second level of bonkers, but this game looks like DiRT2 and Sega Rally Revo had a hell of a party :P (And I can't express how thrilled I am to see them going back to their Sega Rally roots)
skoeldpadda

Postby Thunderer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:12 am

To be frank my main gripe with Horizon Chase is the overly narrow track designs in contrast of how many opponent cars are there at a time.
Thunderer

Postby itsgood2slide » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:21 pm

skoeldpadda wrote:this game looks like DiRT2 and Sega Rally Revo had a hell of a party :P

Sounds good to me!

The 'Wild Rush' footage certainly looks a lot like Sega Rally's tropical circuits : )
itsgood2slide

Postby skoeldpadda » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:56 pm

Thunderer wrote:To be frank my main gripe with Horizon Chase is the overly narrow track designs in contrast of how many opponent cars are there at a time.

Narrow ?
I get what you mean, but, come on, you're being unfair, here, the tracks are wider that the screen, I don't really think they could do more :P
There's a lot of cars on them, but to be honest, there's not nearly as much cars on track as in Outrun. And they all run at the same speed, no slow traffic cars, all are rivals and the pack is way easier to manage that way. I have a waaayy harder time in certain stages of Outrun2006 (I'll refrain any comment on the original, I just can't figure out how to simply drive that one, I seriously can't pass the second stage of any route).
Plus, they ran away pretty quickly, as they always do in these kind of games, and the only cars you'll really have to worry are the first row immeditely ahead of you at the start. Once they're done, the pack is filed, and overtaking is (relatively) easy. I really think it's just a question of figuring it out. I've had a hard time finding my way on the three or four first tracks, then I got the hang of it - just a little patience, a tightly hit apex, and you can pass five of them in one move.
The real problem I have in this game is catching up with the front three. Sometimes I drive without mistakes (not perfectly, there's a difference) and overtake everybody on the first lap and a half, but then there's these two or three fuckers miles ahead and I can't catch up. I really wish for a fourth or fifth nitro.
skoeldpadda

Previous

Return to General Discussion