Suggestions: fast pacing arcade games for quick plays?

Discussion not focusing on a single game or series. Also forum-related matters.

Suggestions: fast pacing arcade games for quick plays?

Postby mickael28 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:40 pm

Hi guys,

I have started a new job quite far from home and I need to catch different public transports and change a few times on my journey. Trying to fill the time I was thinking about gaming on my journey, however, I found the problem that most games are designed for taking your time playing and are not done for a quick play.

Researching about this issue, I found out about Outrun 2 (2006 SP) which is awesome!!! and I've seen that it can be played on a PSP as well (or on a windows tablet, or android via PPSSPP emulator). I was wondering, could you please recommend some arcade titles (any genre) that one can pick and play easily and have a lot of speed/action in them?

I don't know much about the subject, so any game would be fine please (ie, regardless of the platform), I'd research about if I could play them on my way to work somehow, or failing that... I wouldn't mind enjoying such kind of games on my home PC, emulator or maybe different console. The problem now is that I don't quite know any good title, other than Outrun 2 2006.
mickael28

Re: Suggestions: fast pacing arcade games for quick plays?

Postby Ghegs » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:49 pm

Welcome aboard!

OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast would indeed be an excellent choice for PSP gaming. Other good options for PSP racing would be Ridge Racer 2 and the two Wipeout games (Pulse and Pure). Maybe the Burnout titles as well, but I'm not personally familiar with those.

If you're into time attacking, then racing games are excellent for quick bursts. You can have a satisfying 10-minute session, or if you have the time, you can stretch it into an hour or more easily. I have to name-drop my favorite racing game Side By Side (PS1) once more, since it's exactly this feature that keeps me at it. A single run on a track lasts about three minutes, so even if I have to suddenly stop, I only lose that one run.

As for other genres that are good for a quick play...shmups can be good, though full runs of them can last anywhere from 20-60 minutes. But if the game has a stage select mode or a shorter gameplay mode (like Fire Arrow Plus, it even advertises itself as a "coffee break shmup") then you can play those during shorter time periods. The PSP has a few good shmups to it, Star Soldier is pretty decent.

A single fight in a fighting game only lasts a few minutes usually, but those are usually better played against other people rather than AI, so your mileage may wary there.
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby mickael28 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:25 pm

Awesome, many thanks for the ideas... I had not heard about most of those games, so taking note
mickael28

Postby wizkid » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:52 pm

I haven't played many racing games, Ghegs already mentioned all i've played on a PSP and PS1, all are solid, my most fav is probably Ridge Racer 2, tons of tracks, tons of music, intuitive driving (read: i don't suck at it :lol: ). Though Side by side 2000 is excellent too, it's a pretty challenging game though, driving almost feels like Colin McRae Rally or something(on Akina downhill course at least). And Outrun 2006, yeah that game is fantastic, but i haven't played it on PSP.
On Nintendo DS i can recommend Mario Kart DS, though it's been a while since i've last played it.
wizkid

Postby itsgood2slide » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:27 pm

The PSP is probably the best handheld console for racing games, and OutRun 2006 is the pinnacle. I have spent more time playing it on PSP than on the home consoles; while the framerate is not as good, it is very well suited to portable play.

The 3DS is not a bad choice as well, however, thanks to the likes of 3D Out Run, Ridge Racer 3D, Crash City Mayhem (i.e. Runabout 3D), plus its backwards compatibility with DS and DSiWare opens up the excellent Trackmania DS games, Mario Kart DS, Drift Street International and many more.

You also asked about games for a punctuated journey and also other genres, and so my other recommendation is rhythm games. I tend to go for these whenever I am doing a journey with lots of changes because each song will usually be 2-3 minutes so can fill shorter gaps very well. My favourites are the Ouendan (and Elite Beat Agents) games on DS and Superbeat Xonic on Vita. Console-wise I would say 3DS is best because both 3DS and DS have lots of great music games, e.g. Maestro! Jump In Music, Rhythm Heaven, Hatsune Miku Project Mirai DX (which is far superior to the main series IMO), Rhythm Thief, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, Loony Tunes Cartoon Concerto, Band Brothers/Jam with the Band...
itsgood2slide

Return to General Discussion