Racing game show on Awesome Games Replay

Discussion not focusing on a single game or series. Also forum-related matters.

Racing game show on Awesome Games Replay

Postby nasty_wolverine » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:23 pm

I have been bouncing the idea of a racing game show case on AGR episode (and revive it).

Time limit is usually 2 hours, with 15 mins intro and 15mins outro. So that leaves us about 1:30 to show off games. At about 10 minutes a episode thats about 9-ish games, we can push that to 10 games.

So the question, which 10 games to show case.

1> SBS: Side By Side, AE86 Akina TA run
2> Sega Rally 2006: Sega Rally 2006
3> Daytona USA: Daytona USA, Advanced Course TA
4> Outrun: Arcade, Outrun 2 SP
5> NFS: Hot Pursuit, looking for NFS2 winter stage, and something NFS most wanted

Special:
- Wheelruga

Want:
- Ridge Racer V (PS2) / Rigde Racer 2 (psp) [wizkid, qaotik]
- Burnout: I will record Revenge forward mountain course TA (coz its kicks ass), need something POI and Takedown
- Wipeout (something that shows off the game well)

Not sure:
- Hover Racing: Hover Racing
- Flat Out
- FX zero

Need more vids and game suggestions to come with 10 games, so post people.

edit:

here is the work in progress playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... V-HWfKWERA
Last edited by nasty_wolverine on Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:34 pm, edited 8 times in total.
nasty_wolverine

Re: Racing game show on Awesome Games Replay

Postby d123456 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:01 am

Battle Gear 2,3, 4
d123456

Postby Ghegs » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:49 am

Unsurprisingly, I would recommend Side By Side.

Obvious entries to this sort of thing would be F-Zero GX and any of the gazillion Mario Kart games with a Wipeout thrown in, so it'd be cool to see something that isn't thoroughly covered by speedrunners. Daytona USA, Outrun 2/SP/Coast 2 Coast, some Burnout title maybe. Maybe a FlatOut?
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby nasty_wolverine » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:18 am

yeah, i am more keen on one of each series that best represents the series kinda thing. Also, i am leaning towards purer racing games than ones with weapons and items and RNG.

So for the BG series, like ghegs, i also want SBS. (lol)
Daytona USA cause everybody likes daytona
I havent played much outrun, so not sure which to pick here.
For Burnout, i am torn. For overall racing goodness POI/Takedown would be better, For a visual treat with atleast decent racing, i can record white mountain uphill timelap in Revenge (go try this if you havent).
One wipeout and NFS video for sure, or we will be gutted by the viewers lol. for NFS i only really played 2, most wanted and carbon. not sure which to pick.

Also, if you guys can link videos that would be great, i can start creating a playlist.
nasty_wolverine

Postby itsgood2slide » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:08 pm

What is Awesome Games Replay? Quick searches on google and YouTube did not seem to turn up anything useful? Is it just gameplay footage? How old do the games need to be?

I think you should include a water based game, so Wave Race 64 or Blue Storm.

And a destruction derby type one, so Test Drive: Eve of Destruction or Destruction Derby 2.

And an Off-road and/or Rally one, so Colin McRae 4/2005, Dirt 2 or Baja: Edge of Control.
Last edited by itsgood2slide on Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
itsgood2slide

Postby Ghegs » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:20 pm

@itsgood2slide:

Awesome Game Replays are a subset of the Youtube channel Shooting Game Weekly. It was originally just shmups, but they've since branched into other genres as well.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... G9UHfu4k7F

In addition to the replay, there's live commentary, often (but not always) from the person who did the run, explaining things about the game. There's usually three or four commentators.
Ghegs

Postby itsgood2slide » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:55 pm

Ah so it's all about how to play them well... would that be the same for this racing games showcase?
itsgood2slide

Postby spectre » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:14 pm

Some hot picks from me
Battle Gear 3
Burnout 3... maybe Revenge as it's the only "real" Burnout game in HD (X360)
Daytona USA (the masses needs to know the depth when using manual gears)
F-Zero GX (wipeout games have weapons "buuuuuuuuuuuh")
Flatout 2 Ultimate Carnage (real fun smash 'em up with great sense of speed)
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010) (criterion game, best NFS imo)
Outrun 2 Coast 2 Coast (SEGA at it's finest)

will look for videos soon
spectre

Postby spectre » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:18 pm

Oh, I just remembered that we did a annual top 5 racing games late last year and I totally forgot about the Ridge Racer series :oops: http://www.rolling-start.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=517

If you pick Ridge Racer 1 (PS1 or Arcade), Rotunda on here is a beast at that game. Quite possible the best in the world.
spectre

Postby Ghegs » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:01 pm

Some video links for my own replays:

Side By Side, Akina TA run that I say is a WR but I'm just expecting some japanese superplayer to come forward and take me down a notch.

The video's under four minutes in total, so if you want to fill up the 10-minute slot there's also AE86 Akina TA run or this arcade mode Akina run where I take first place using the unlockable Taito Van. They're all of Akina, though...

Or I could just talk about the game (and its sequels) a bit. Since the run is so short, there's not much time to talk during it.

Sega Rally 2006. Everybody knows Sega Rally, but the 2006 version is far more unknown, I'd say. This run goes through remade versions of courses from the original game. If you don't watch the replay, the video's 8 minutes long so it would fit nicely.

Daytona USA, Advanced Course TA. I'm a bit hesitant to mention this, since the game is very well-known and my run is far from the best. At least it's in HD. Would be awesome if you could get deca to commentate on the game, regardless of the video.

OH! You know what'd be awesome? Hover Racing. Very unknown, very cool. I only have this video of the game up, I could create a better one, but there are also a few other videos up on Youtube.

I have many Ridge Racer V videos, but it might be better if Qaotik posted his own instead, his times are better than mine.
Ghegs

Postby wizkid » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:11 pm

SBS is a must.
i have replays for Ridge racer 2, but no vids(unless you are willing to stream them from psp emulator, but not sure if psp emu will play replays from real psp), but Gheghs has some decent vids on his channel, i'd like to see Ridge Racer V, Rage racer, Rave racer and all that too of course. Flatout would be nice, but nobody took time attack in it seriously, so there are hardly any replays online, let alone showcase worthy ones.
Outrun 2006 for sure!
I'm new to the genre so that's all i can think of, but it would be nice to see classic, modern and obscure racers.
wizkid

Postby nasty_wolverine » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:21 pm

I updated the top post. Confirmed, needs videos for, and not sure off stuff. I ll make a playlist of this stuff soon.

@wizkid : if you can record RR2 psp stuff that would be great. i love that game. and while RRV is superior, RR2 is more accessible. ppsspp should let you use saves easy.
nasty_wolverine

Postby spectre » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:39 am

Ridge Racer V (PS2 - 2000)

youtu.be/bFfU4mHYniw

Ridge Racer (Arcade - 1993)

youtu.be/OgZwfr7NPDM

Ridge Racer - Toying with the Devil Car (PS1 - 1994)

youtu.be/WdZJ5JLuVgM

Outrun 2 SP (Arcade - 2004)

youtu.be/4piVmHMtvEo

OR
Outrun 2 SP - All 15 Stages

youtu.be/5ugU5N9vzDo

Out Run (Arcade - 1986)

youtu.be/7WH4axb4Zlw
spectre

Postby osaka » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:01 pm

On the time attack section of the forum there's videos of mine on NFSHP 2010 if you just want to take a look. They're all on time attack events tho.
osaka

Postby wizkid » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:44 am

nasty_wolverine wrote:@wizkid : if you can record RR2 psp stuff that would be great. i love that game. and while RRV is superior, RR2 is more accessible. ppsspp should let you use saves easy.

i'd love to, but ppsspp runs rather poorly on my laptop and it will only get worse if i'll play with fraps on. but i still tried it in emulator and it seems like my replays and even ghosts don't work properly, they work fine for 5-30 seconds and then everything desyncs and car just gets stuck bumping against the wall. furthermore, i have only 2 replays saved, becouse i thought when you save ghosts replays save too.
i've tried to record new replays on emulator, but i have to use minimal settings and frameskip, there are graphical glitches and input lag, so it's not very pleasant to play and it would take me a while to get the same results.
maybe by the time you'll do another show about racing games i'll have a new laptop :lol:
wizkid

Postby Qaotik » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:20 pm

I can make some Ridge Racer V videos because I do time attack on there
The Ridge Racer V king is unstoppable.
Qaotik

Postby Qaotik » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:42 am

Qaotik

Postby nasty_wolverine » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:37 am

@spectre: the outrun vids were fantastic, picked 2. the RR stuff was too blurry, qaotik said he can maybe record new stuff, if it doesnt pan out, we can pick the replays you listed

@wizkid: can you record some replays and send me the files? i will try to either record it off my psp or see if i can do something in ppsspp.

@osaka: picked one hotpursuit vid of yours, though we need a little more variety.

@qaotik: can you record one bumper view, and one behind the card view of RRV and upload to youtube?

Top post updated with picks and requests
nasty_wolverine

Postby wizkid » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:59 am

@wizkid: can you record some replays and send me the files? i will try to either record it off my psp or see if i can do something in ppsspp.

gotcha, i have only 2 good replays right now, will try to make as much as i can.
edlt:
if you have some specific tack requests, do tell, i'll try to focus on them.
wizkid

Postby nasty_wolverine » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:59 am

wizkid wrote:gotcha, i have only 2 good replays right now, will try to make as much as i can.
edlt:
if you have some specific tack requests, do tell, i'll try to focus on them.

Pick any that you think are good tracks to show off, I will probably end up including 1 RR2 and 1 RRV replay.

I found these while searching for good replays, if i cant find anything better i probably will have to go with one of these.

youtu.be/BGDRJ6wHudw

youtu.be/v_uDFzJf_-E
nasty_wolverine

Postby wizkid » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:55 am

ok, if you gonna show just one rr2 replay, i'll focus on one track(probably Greenpeak Highlands) to produce the best result.
wizkid

Postby d123456 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:51 am

Please feature - Hover Racing: Hover Racing
It's a hidden gem! I actually forgot about, but I will be playing it very soon!
d123456

Postby Qaotik » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:18 pm

Sure, let me record some more gameplay
Qaotik

Postby Qaotik » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:01 am

Qaotik

Postby wizkid » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:16 am

i got new pb on Greenpeak Highlands, here is the replay plus few others(but mostly lame ones), choose whichever you like. I hope you have no problems with this hosting, but i can reupload somewhere else, just tell me where.
https://mega.nz/#!tMkEDY7A!bIKk0cudKtFo ... aUh_DmWf1c
wizkid

Postby clp » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:25 am

Ghegs SBS

Fatalias rage racer time attack

Asayeahs wipeout xl vids

WMJ,s wipeout 64/3 and extreme g/ f zero time attacks

There's a few top tier asian battle gear 2-4 player vids

All top level play available on youtube. F zero gx is horrible to watch tbh (wiggle wiggle) and was in AGDQ multiple times, maybe mention BallisticNG? and mario kart is uninteresting to imo.

spectre wrote:F-Zero GX (wipeout games have weapons "buuuuuuuuuuuh")

Yeah but only time attack matters where you don't use weapons and need to execute extremely technical lines, f zero gx is abysmal to watch and violently overrated to boot from the cringey butt rock to the childish chars and wall skid physics.
clp

Postby Ghegs » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:43 pm

F-Zero vs. Wipeout is actually an interesting question. I split the topic to its own thread here, please continue the discussion there. And I do hope to see discussion come out of this, the two series are the biggest and most famous futuristic racers after all.
Ghegs

Postby nasty_wolverine » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:39 pm

show scheduled for 15th oct. i ll start compiling the playlist based on the recommendations, and post here once its done.
nasty_wolverine

Postby d123456 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:51 pm

Cool, really looking forward to it.
d123456

Postby Ghegs » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:34 am

Nice, do you know the exact time?
Ghegs

Next

Return to General Discussion