Outracer

F-Zero, Wipeout, Extreme-G, FAST Racing, BallisticNG...

Outracer

Postby spectre » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:43 am

This game popped up in my discovery queue on Steam. It was released on August 16th and it looks like a poor mans version of F-Zero GX. But that doesn't mean it has to be bad? Has anyone tried it?

youtu.be/v_DXJNuykuk

€9.99 on Steam
spectre

Re: Outracer

Postby Ghegs » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:03 pm

I wonder how the handling feels, mainly if it similar to F-Zero GX?

The track editor is a welcome addition, if the game gets popular there will be probably people re-creating some F-Zero tracks.
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby Outlier » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:04 pm

Hello everyone! This is Michael, the sole developer behind Outracer!
I thought I'd stop by to answer questions and share a bit more about Outracer.

Outracer started out as a complete remake of "prototype" game I made on my own a couple of years ago called V-TEXER. (Note: You can find the prototype on itch.io, but know that the handling and physics is much better in Outracer!) I am a big fan of F-Zero GX, and when I found a video showing how to attach an object to a surface, I immediately started work on the prototype, gradually adding all sorts of physics and mechanics, until it resembled a simple racing game. (Amazingly, I also built a track editor for the prototype. I knew how 3D models worked, but I didn't know how to use any 3D modelling software at the time!) I wanted to build a new version that improved on everything that game did. Better handling, better models, better visuals and audio, better track editor, challenging AI racers, everything! I worked on the game for about two years while in college, and I called it Outracer.

I hope you like it! :D

Now to answer some questions!

Ghegs wrote:I wonder how the handling feels, mainly if it similar to F-Zero GX?

The handling and mechanics takes some cues from F-Zero X/GX and Wipeout, but feels like neither of them. Rather than have the vehicles feel like piloting an aircraft or a race car, the idea was to have the vehicles feel like an extension of the player, so the vehicles are very responsive. Braking is near instant and turning around even a hairpin corner is generally not very difficult (if you know what you're doing). This was done for a few reasons:
  • Simplifies the controls (You can play Outracer with a gamepad, a keyboard, or even a NES controller and it'll will still play well)
  • Makes the vehicles feel really good to drive!
  • Makes the game more accessible and easy to get into.
But most importantly, the real challenge is navigating those courses while boosting and your top speed can potentially double or triple!
(By the way, you can do Wipeout-style barrel rolls in Outracer!)

Ghegs wrote:The track editor is a welcome addition, if the game gets popular there will be probably people re-creating some F-Zero tracks.

Thank you!
You can do a lot of stuff with the editor: jumps, corkscrews, upside-down sections. One of the later courses has what I call a "corkscrew chicane". You can even make tubes and cylinders, so I expect someone to make a Big Blue remake with it! It took a lot of work to get the track editor working well, but I hope the players make some really crazy things with it!
(Fun fact: Outracer was intended to be released on the Wii U as well, so a few design decisions came from that. You can save your tracks as QR Codes and scan them using a webcam!)
Outlier

Postby Ghegs » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:04 am

Hi Michael, thanks for coming over. :)

It certainly sounds like you've put some thought and work into this. I hope "easy to get into" is paired with "hard to master".

An important question for me personally: Is there a proper time attack mode? Give me a fun vehicle and a fun course, and I'll time attack that thing for hours. If ghosts are available, all the better. Leaderboards too.

Outlier wrote:But most importantly, the real challenge is navigating those courses while boosting and your top speed can potentially double or triple!

How do you boost in the game? This sounds like it could be snaking, which isn't my favorite thing to come out of F-Zero GX.

Outlier wrote:You can save your tracks as QR Codes and scan them using a webcam!

That sounds ridiculously awesome. :lol:

Speaking of the track editor, is it possible to create point-to-point courses with it?
Ghegs

Postby Outlier » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:06 am

Ghegs wrote:Hi Michael, thanks for coming over. :)

Thank you. Glad to be here! :D

Ghegs wrote:An important question for me personally: Is there a proper time attack mode? Give me a fun vehicle and a fun course, and I'll time attack that thing for hours. If ghosts are available, all the better. Leaderboards too.

At the moment, Outracer doesn't have a "proper" time attack mode. That being said, it might come in a future update. The functionality for ghosts and saving race data is in the game; it's just not being used yet!

Until then, might I interest you in Hyperspeed Mode? It's inspired by Zone Mode from Wipeout! ;)

youtu.be/9PL-qcBys4s

Ghegs wrote:How do you boost in the game? This sounds like it could be snaking, which isn't my favorite thing to come out of F-Zero GX.

I'm not a fan of snaking either! :lol:

Boosting is straightforward and is similar to F-Zero X/GX. After the first lap, press/hold the boost button and your vehicle speeds up dramatically, but drains boost energy. Similarly, health and boost energy is recharged in pit areas on the track. The more you boost, the faster you get!

My goal behind this is to allow players to basically go as fast as they can handle. (It's also why health and boost energy are separated in Outracer. ;) ) If you want to go really fast, keep that button held down and go nuts! :D

Ghegs wrote:
Outlier wrote:You can save your tracks as QR Codes and scan them using a webcam!

That sounds ridiculously awesome. :lol:

Thank you! I'm quite proud of what I did with the race track files! Took a lot of time trying to figure out how to shrink the race track data to something small enough to fit into a QR Code!
The work paid off nicely; most of the race tracks files in the game about 150-300 bytes! The biggest one in the game is just 500 bytes!

Ghegs wrote:Speaking of the track editor, is it possible to create point-to-point courses with it?

If I understand "point-to-point course" correctly meaning a course that doesn't loop, then it does not. You must be able to complete a lap on your custom course. I have thought about point-to-point courses (and there was a removed mode in development that used such courses), but they were a bit weird to integrate into the game's racing framework and were dropped.
Outlier

Postby Ghegs » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:21 pm

Outlier wrote:
Ghegs wrote:An important question for me personally: Is there a proper time attack mode? Give me a fun vehicle and a fun course, and I'll time attack that thing for hours. If ghosts are available, all the better. Leaderboards too.

At the moment, Outracer doesn't have a "proper" time attack mode. That being said, it might come in a future update. The functionality for ghosts and saving race data is in the game; it's just not being used yet!

I'm looking forward to it! That's the mode I tend to spend the most time in, if the game catches my fancy.
Ghegs

Return to Futuristic racers