What are you playing?

Discussion not focusing on a single game or series. Also forum-related matters.

Re: What are you playing?

Postby wizkid » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:10 pm

any other similar rally racers you'd recommend?

the only other rally game i played is Richard Burns Rally, but it's a full sim and i don't have analog controller at a moment, let alone a wheel.
i'm fine with any CMR game or first two DiRT games if my laptop can run them.
wizkid

Postby Ghegs » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:41 pm

Opened up Unlimited class in RalliSport Challenge, so getting close to finishing the career mode. Though I might go back to some events and try to get first place finishes on everything. Unfortunately all the hill climb courses are pretty short, takes under two minutes to finish any of them.

I did notice that in the circuit events, when you're racing against AI on the track, it's beneficial to not always use the cars of the same class as the event. The AI uses the same class cars as you do, so for those events in Classic I picked my favorite Expect-class car Subaru Impreza Hill Climb.

This doesn't seem to apply for the point-to-point courses, I was hitting the first checkpoint almost 10 seconds behind the pack when using a car from a lower class. Had to pick a Group B rocket monster to have a chance with those.

I also tried a bit of V-Rally 2 (works great in Win8.1, in 1920x1080 res with Xbox 360 controller) and it feels so different compared to RalliSport. In the latter the cars have much more weight to them, and you need to be pretty careful when you transfer that weight, or you'll spin out. In V-Rally 2 you could throw the car around haphazardly without any issues. And mistakes are much more punishing in RalliSport. So far the track design has been in RalliSport's favor as well, though admittedly I didn't play V-Rally 2 terribly much.

Such a shame RalliSport Challenge 2 was ogXbox exclusive. Would love to play that as well. The world needs another rally game that sits comfortably between the Sega Rallies and Richard Burns/DiRT Rallies.

@wizkid: I do have the first DiRT game, I could go for that. clp, how about you?
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby wizkid » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:59 pm

I've tried DiRT, it's not very fun with keyboard, so i tried cheap analog controller and it feels much betterdespite sticks being very unresponsive, fps is really low though, so i don't think i'll be playing it. also decided to give Rallisport Challenge another chance, now with analog, turns out it's much more fun this way, so i'll join TA'ing it.
wizkid

Postby clp » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:43 pm

i'm diggy down for some rallisport challenge and if a colin mcrae 2.0 would be a blast, love that game.
clp

Postby Ghegs » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:13 pm

Alright, let's give it a go! To start with, I made a thread for the three uphill Vista Peak courses. Thread here!

Should we split the tables by car class? Personally I think the cars in Unlimited class aren't the most fun to drive, even if they are undoubtedly the fastest. Well, just post times for whatever car you like, and I'll split the tables if it looks like it's needed.

To my very happy surprise, I also discovered the game has downhill courses! They're the already available uphill courses, only in reverse. To unlock them, you need to get either 100k points in Career mode or start a new profile with the name Geronimo. Of course with the latter option you won't have all the cars available unless you play through the career mode with that profile.

Just yesterday I was silently lamenting to myself how there's no way to go downhill on these courses. With this, the game becomes my favorite rally game ever.
Ghegs

Postby wizkid » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:24 pm

can someone share his save file for rallisport challenge? i've only beaten pro events, so can't use high end cars. it really sucks when there are barriers before you can do TA.
wizkid

Postby clp » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:12 am

wizkid wrote:can someone share his save file for rallisport challenge? i've only beaten pro events, so can't use high end cars. it really sucks when there are barriers before you can do TA.

i will if i can figure which file it is, any ideas?
clp

Postby wizkid » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:10 am

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\RalliSport Challenge
btw i'm willing to time attack CMR 2.0, should be okay with a keyboard innit? i don't like playing with analog.
wizkid

Postby clp » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:54 pm

wizkid wrote:C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\RalliSport Challenge
btw i'm willing to time attack CMR 2.0, should be okay with a keyboard innit? i don't like playing with analog.

Try this matey https://www.dropbox.com/s/4sbhlwefntvnc ... e.rar?dl=0,

fuck yeah man i play it with a snes dpad lmao, let's get some rallisport times on the go and in a bit we can look at setting up colin mcrae 2 aswell.
clp

Postby spectre » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:37 am

Put some house into Forza Motorsport 7 single player and was reminded that you race other people drivatars as I blew past Deca Tarca :lol:
spectre

Postby wizkid » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:50 am

got new pc recently so been playing dirt rally, but it's just way too hard for me since i don't know jack about real cars and real driving, i've grinded one track for several days and i'm still 40(!) seconds behind WR.
on top of that i'm disappointed that the game just let's you restart every race in singleplayer, rallisports challenge campaign is much better, you can't restart and you don't have to play 6 tracks of sweden in a row until you are tired of all the snow and then 6 tracks of greece until you are sick of all the yellow, once i'm done with rallisport's campaign i'll jump back to time attacking it.
wizkid

Postby clp » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:11 pm

wizkid wrote:got new pc recently so been playing dirt rally, but it's just way too hard for me since i don't know jack about real cars and real driving,

are you using a realistic steering wheel etc setup?
clp

Postby wizkid » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:50 pm

no, i bought an xbox one pad(it was discounted so i thought why not), had to install windows 10 to make it work lol(actually not a terrible OS if you disable autoupdates and shit). it's a good controller, but i still prefer keyboard unless i absolutely need to use analog like in dirt rally, some people play it with keyboard though.
wizkid

Postby clp » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:54 pm

wizkid wrote:

no, i bought an xbox one pad(it was discounted so i thought why not), had to install windows 10 to make it work lol(actually not a terrible OS if you disable autoupdates and shit). it's a good controller, but i still prefer keyboard unless i absolutely need to use analog like in dirt rally, some people play it with keyboard though.

never played the game myself but control is very much game dependent, maybe it has outrun 2 syndrome where pads can't get within 10 secs of top steering wheel times.
clp

Postby wizkid » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:12 pm

never played the game myself but control is very much game dependent, maybe it has outrun 2 syndrome where pads can't get within 10 secs of top steering wheel times.

i kinda doubt it, i've read the game modifies input depending on what you are using(possibly why it's somewhat playable with a keyboard) and i've seen on yotube how a guy gets in top 50(which is really good considering the competition) with Dualshock 4, but most serious players seem to use a wheel, but that could be just out of enthusiasm more than anything.
wizkid

Postby clp » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:37 pm

Possibly, i remember the outrun 2 boards bitd though and wheels were always ahead by 10 seconds at the top no matter how much effort, kinda like how the negcon wipeout and rage racers times are nigh on impossible to beat (the fact i have any within 5 secs on wipeout 3 with a dpad is mental) where as rallisport challenge is really amazing with digi dpad as is colin mcrae 2, just down to the game i guess. Take it on yourself to be the highest time with a keyboard/pad.
clp

Postby osaka » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:22 pm

I don't know where you read that but in my experience cars don't turn at all in dirt rally with a pad.
osaka

Postby wizkid » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:50 pm

they turn way too much on analog imo. some guy on steam said he can control most cars just fine with a keyboard, i tried to play with keyboard once and got a better split time actually(possibly becouse i suck with analog), but i crashed eventually. it was a 60s car though, alpine something.
wizkid

Postby Ghegs » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:05 pm

Got the Congratulations screen in RalliSport Challenge for finishing the career mode, even though I still have one full event to clear. I guess it just "ends" at 100k points. But then it opens up the downhill courses and some others in career mode so there's even more points to get. I wonder if there's something more to unlock by getting first place in absolutely everything. Internet doesn't seem to think so.

Then again, I haven't spotted any mention of the staff ghosts online either. In the "ending screen" there's a line to check out the credits. Once you watch them through (which takes over ten minutes) you're brought to a screen where you can race against ~25 people who worked on the game, each on a different course. Pretty neat. Raced against an artist on Vista Peak Base and beat him, but it didn't seem to mark the guy as beaten or anything, which is bit of a bummer. It seems like a decent challenge, the ghosts know how to cut really deeply through corners, and the Vista Peak Base guy used an even more ridiculous shortcut than I do. For some odd reason there doesn't seem to be any way of returning to the staff ghost challenges without watching through the credits again. Of course if you hit Enter the credits speed up and you can past them within a minute or so, but still...

Also, Vista Peak Summit is a pretty boring course. The corners are basically all the same, and in the middle there's a dumb S-curve with fences that forces you to slow down to ~50 km/h, really brings the flow down.

But Mt. Kiwi Downhill = holy hell this is FAST.
Ghegs

Postby clp » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:18 am

Vista peak summit also has "lucky faster route by driving into the fences" on the s bend. Downhill vista base is also super fast and a complete thrill, you feel always on the edge. I tried thekoenig hills and they are ridiculously technical.
clp

Postby lilmanjs » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:35 am

Redout
Not very good at it but was greatly impressed by it. Looks good, plays good and the music fits well. Gotta buy a copy at some point, but quite nicely surprised that the local library bought a copy for both the Xbox one and ps4.
lilmanjs

Previous

Return to General Discussion