What are you playing?

Discussion not focusing on a single game or series. Also forum-related matters.

Re: What are you playing?

Postby wizkid » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:04 am

In fact, if you want to put up a time attack thread for some cool track, I might be inclined to join you, I've been feeling the itch for it again.

i'll make a thread, but can't decide on which vehicle class to choose. how about allowing anything? would that be unbalanced? i get more or less the same results with all car classes, except for 60s and 70s, so if someone can control group b monsters(not me :lol: ), let him race with that.

addition:
in order to balance out the classes, we could race downhill on the longest stage there is(so that the most consistent driver wins), or even better, race 2 stages in a row, submitting a total time. 20km downhill on greece, that sounds fun :twisted:
Last edited by wizkid on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
wizkid

Postby Ghegs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:40 am

wizkid wrote:
In fact, if you want to put up a time attack thread for some cool track, I might be inclined to join you, I've been feeling the itch for it again.

i'll make a thread, but can't decide on which vehicle class to choose. how about allowing anything? would that be unbalanced? i get more or less the same results with all car classes, except for 60s and 70s, so if someone can control group b monsters(not me :lol: ), let him race with that.

As you would be the thread master and the upkeeper of the tables, the specific rules are left entirely to you.
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby wizkid » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:45 am

Ghegs wrote:As you would be the thread master and the upkeeper of the tables, the specific rules are left entirely to you.

yeah of course, but i was wondering what others think would be the best.
so i've made a Dirt Rally TA thread and it's pretty weird compared to other TA threads
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=716
i've copy pasted some things from your TA threads btw, first time doing this.
wizkid

Postby spectre » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:06 pm

Last weekend I got the chance to play Crazy Taxi in an arcade. I've since had the itch and been playing it on Xbox Live Arcade. Got a personal best with $421k+ which put me #1 on the weekly leaderboard.

The weekly leaderboard says that 419 players have played Crazy Taxi this week? That's quite impressive to me. Didn't think anyone played it anymore?

spectre

Postby wizkid » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:37 pm

Started playing MD version of Super hang-on, didn't expect to see so much simulation in a port of an arcade game, they didn't turn it into sim of course, but the amount of punishment in original mode makes it feel real. For example if you've broken some part on your bike and have no money to fix it, you'll be forced to retire from races until you've grinded enough money(you get a small sum even if you lose a race) to fix it, this forces you to drive carefully and study the tracks before you can start trying to take on the opponent, which is a lot more believable than crashing and restarting until you win like you'd do in pretty much any racer today.
I'm really dissapointed that there is nothing like that in modern games, even sims. And while you can still play say Dirt Rally with made-up rules like no restarting(and even receive small cash bonus for it), you can't have something like a system in Super Hang-on, where your bike parts get damaged with each crash until they are completely broken, so if you don't have enough money to replace them you'll have to downgrade to cheaper parts or even be forced to lose races. It's brutal, but i love it.
wizkid

Postby Thunderer » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:55 pm

I think some obscure racing sims like Xpand Rally has such mechanics except more unforgiving to the point the career mode ends if your driver is heavily injured or even dead (!)
Rest in peace Ridge Racer franchise, 1993-2012. Never forget, never forgive.
Thunderer

Postby wizkid » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:35 pm

Richard Burns rally was quite brutal too, not to such extend that you can lose the entire career, but one tree collision could easily end the race(in Dirt rally your car is built like a tank). There are probably some other punishing racers, but somehow i'm sure all of them are at least 10 years old.
wizkid

Previous

Return to General Discussion