The Second Annual Top 5 Racing Games of All Time

Discussion not focusing on a single game or series. Also forum-related matters.

The Second Annual Top 5 Racing Games of All Time

Postby Ghegs » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:27 pm

The Second Annual Rolling Start Top 5 Racing Games of All Time

What are your Top 5 racing games? Post your choices in order from your #1 favorite to your #5 favorite, like so:

#1 - Ridge Turismo 5
#2 - Forza Type 4
#3 - Side By Rally
#4 - Need for Gear
#5 - Mario Coast 2 Coast

Once voting has ended I'll compile the results into an overall Top 5, as well as a larger list that shows what other games were voted for but didn't make the cut.

Each game gets points based on where they're ranked on the list. To change things up a bit from last year, we're going to use the F1 points system as it was some years ago.

Feel free to vote for any racing game, be it arcade, simulator, futuristic, top-down, whatever. As long as it's a racing game, it's a valid choice, but Euro Truck Simulator and such aren't. If it's in the RGDB (or should be and I've just failed to add it in) then it's all good.

And please elaborate on why you chose the games you did, it makes it all the more interesting to read just what it is that draws people in to these particular titles.

Past Top 5:
Voting thread for 2016
Results thread for 2016
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Re: The Second Annual Top 5 Racing Games of All Time

Postby Ghegs » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:19 pm

My choices:

#1 - Side By Side Special 2000
#2 - Daytona USA
#3 - RalliSport Challenge
#4 - Burnout 2
#5 - Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast

Side By Side is still my favorite and is the perfect example of an arcade-style racer with fun tracks and cars to drive them on. No messing about with any career mode either, which can be either a plus or a minus depending on how you look at it. Since the PS3 was announced I've been hoping Taito would just release a compilation of all the Battle Gear games and throw in the Side By Side arcade originals as a bonus. Until that time, my PS1 continues its life as a more or less dedicated Side By Side delivery system.

Daytona USA is also the only reason I keep my Xbox 360 around. One of the most satisfying experiences of my racing game life was learning the game's drifting mechanics thanks to deca's guide. A classic that with a single car and three courses delivers more than modern titles with 400+ licensed vehicles painstakingly recreated and placed onto an open world with hundreds of miles of road.

RalliSport Challenge I think is in the perfect place between Sega Rally and something like Richard Burns Rally. There's the fast gameplay, a good variety of cars that feel different from each other and some great courses, but there's also tuning options to consider that can make or break your run, yet they never feel overwhelming or unclear. The game's accessible but it has a high skill ceiling, and it feels to great to hit a drift just right and overtake your ghost. It's an utter shame the sequel's ogXbox exclusive, I may never get to play that one.

Burnout 2 was the first of the series I played and despite spending some time with most of the sequels, I felt the second entry hit all the marks I enjoy the most.

Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast is of course another Sega classic that I keep coming back to, and Coast 2 Coast is just chock-full of content. Both Outrun 2 and Outrun 2 SP, Heart Attack mode, time attacks, the Coast 2 Coast mode...tons of stuff to do.

I ended up dropping Ridge Racer V from my last year's list in favor of RalliSport Challenge. Still a great title, but RalliSport just has a bit more meat to its bones, and I do love running downhill on narrow courses, which RRV doesn't allow me to do.
Ghegs

Postby wizkid » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:08 pm

#1 - Ridge Racer 2
#2 - Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
#3 - Side By Side Special 2000
#4 - RalliSport Challenge
#5 - FlatOut

RR2 - played it a lot on my psp, probably the most fun i had with an arcade racer. it's a simple, practically on-rails racer, you can figure out what you are doing wrong and correct mistakes easily, which allows for constant improvement, yet executing at high levels is hard(at least for me, for ridge racer pros probably not so much). also, unlike most games with nitro here it adds a bit of depth imo.
Outrun 2006 - it's a very high quality game and i played lots but never took it seriously, gotta TA this one day.
Side By Side Special 2000 - learning akina on ae86 was very cool, maybe if i had neogcon this would've been my favorite, but somewhat clunky digital controls and lack of ghost makes it too difficult for me to play seriously.
RalliSport Challenge - you normally try to resist going too fast in rally games, but here you can go fast as shit most of the time, which is why i like it. digital controls work very good too.
FlatOut - i got bored of main campaign pretty fast, but doing TA in this is fun, driving is arcadey yet you can really feel the weight of your car and it's another game that plays well with a digital
wizkid

Postby Thunderer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:36 am

1. Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition Remix
2. Burnout 3: Takedown
3. Ridge Racer V
4. NFS Most Wanted
5. Gran Turismo 2

yeah, not much has changed since the last year except GT2 suddenly pops into the list for some reason.
Rest in peace Ridge Racer franchise, 1993-2012. Never forget, never forgive.
Thunderer

Postby spectre » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:54 am

Not much have changed since last year. :lol:
#1 - Out Run
#2 - Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast
#3 - Daytona USA
#4 - Crazy Taxi
#5 - Burnout 3 Takedown

Out Run
My favorite racing game of all time and definitely in my Top 10 of my all time favorite racing games. It has great graphics, great soundtrack and tight controls. One of the reasons this is #1 is because whenever I play the game, I have fun. I can never get bored of this game no matter how many times I play it. Nostalgia is a big factor too as it was the first game I ever saw someone complete on 1 credit. I remember playing the shit out of the arcade machine on my 10 year birthday back in 1989 and playing it endlessly on my Commodore 64.

Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast
This could easily have been #1 as I think at a technical standpoint it's a better game. The best Outrun game in the series and this version is PACKED with modes. It has both Outrun 2 and Outrun 2 SP and all of the modes they contain. Lot's of different model Ferrari's and even tuned versions. The soundtrack in this game is great as it has both remixed versions of the original songs but also new songs that are quite catchy. I play this game regularly but mostly the Outrun Online Arcade version on Xbox 360.

Daytona USA
I've always looked down on Daytona USA as I encountered it AFTER I played Sega Rally Championship and Daytona just felt so stiff to me? Well, that changed this year and propelled the game into my top ten. I had a time attack feud with an acquaintance and we battled back and forth over several month. This forced me to 1. drive manual and 2. learn the drift mechanics. Totally changed the game and it feels so damn smooth now. It is so much fun to play now and it makes my top 3.

Crazy Taxi
Some wouldn't call this a racing game but I think it is. You race against time, like a time attack game, and try to score the most points (dollars) and gets time extends every time you hit a checkpoint (pick up a customer). I think I have 5 different versions of this game and they ALL play well. The newer releases unfortunately doesn't have the full original soundtrack.
I love this game and play it atleast a couple of times a year.

Burnout 3 Takedown
Burnout 2 was my introduction to the series but Burnout 3 Takedown was the game that stole my heart and ran with it. In my opinion they improved EVERYTHING. The burning laps are awesome, crash modes are great, the graphics improved and I think this has the best soundtrack in the series. Besides that it feels like no matter what you do you get some sort of reward in the form of an unlockable. Every time I hear a song from the soundtrack it emidiately takes me back to the time when I played this game the first time. It's so much fun.
spectre

Postby itsgood2slide » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:20 pm

Nothing I played this year has broken into my top 5. The closest contender was Dirt Rally, which I bought alongside PSVR earlier this year, and it would certainly be in my top 10.

Here is my post from last year:

1. Daytona USA
For me, the quality of a racing game comes down to just two factors: the handling and then the tracks. Daytona USA has only three of the latter, but Dinosaur Canyon and Seaside Street Galaxy are quite possibly my two favourite tracks of all time, virtual or otherwise, and its handling is challenging, wonderful and really quite bizarre. Every corner is its own unique challenge, and it is such a rewarding feeling when you absolutely nail a corner, especially the nail-biting sequence of corners that follow Galaxy's pitlane. Such heroics are achieved not by finding the right braking point and following a textbook racing line, but by performing some gear changing shenanigans and then trying to wrestle control of the drifting madness that ensues. I think one of the key elements of the game's design is that most of its corners do not have much of a gap between them, so how well you take a corner will have a big impact on how much speed you will carry into the next, and thus a kind of adaptive difficulty emerges. Nailing one corner makes the next corner an even greater challenge, and marginal gains in each corner can have a cumulative effect when you string them together. As a result, Daytona USA feels like a game in which you always have a tangible and identifiable room for improvement. All of these things are enough to make it my favourite racing game of all time, but I must also mention that whole experience is amplified yet further with its sing-along soundtrack, those SEGA blue skies, and a palpable sense of fun that permeates the whole production, from the statue of Jeffry to the dancing G A M E O V E R letters, this game wants to make sure you have fantastic time, and I always do!

2. Baja: Edge of Control
I particularly enjoy offroad racing games because they tend to offer truly 3D tracks with much greater variety in surface types, cambers, inclines and so on, and in many cases this variety is seen not just between tracks, but from moment to moment as you navigate the terrain. That is why I have a preference for this kind of game, so why is Baja the best? Well, of all the offroad racing games I have played, I think Baja has the best handling and track design. It has the best handling because it has just the right level of simplified simulation; if it was a full simulation, you would never make it up the amazingly steep hill climbs (and, given that these are circuit races, I doubt your vehicle would survive the descent), and offroad games can devolve into as-the-crow-flies chases to the next checkpoint when they go too far the other way. Baja feels realistic where it matters, but with concessions for the benefit of fun; the clutch-boost, for example, is surely far too powerful, but it makes races in the slower classes tense, strategic affairs, while making hill climbs in the later classes intense, thrilling and probably the best example of verticality in the whole field of racing games. The tracks offer significant variety from tiny berm-lined circuits to sprawling point-to-point rallies across the breadth of the open-world maps. The latter really feel like proper rallies, due in part to the superb design of the paths and environments, and also because the systems in place for replacing burst tyres and calling in a rescue helicopter really add to the sense that you are taking part in a grand event. It really puts other Baja and Dakar games to shame in this regard. The biggest shame, however, is that the game was neither a critical nor commercial success, and as a result 2XL have primarily worked on mobile games ever since.

3. OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
And now for another fantastic example of blue-sky gaming from SEGA! The handling does not have the same depth as Daytona USA, but then I suppose that is the point. In Daytona it was motorsport that was put through the SEGA AM2 filter, whereas OutRun's subject matter is the cross-country road trip, as hinted by the subtitle of this edition, presumably inspired by OutRun 2 SP's journey from San Francisco to New York (if you choose the challenging route). The cities are not named of course, but then OutRun, along with its courses, is a caricature of the romanticised idea of a road trip; there is no need for mundane reality here. Sure, the Ferraris are real Ferraris, but these are the cars of your dreams, and drifting them round the sweeping bends is similarly fanciful. For a game that is essentially a port of an arcade game (okay, two arcade games), OutRun 2006 has an incredible breadth of content and modes, and despite being my first PSP game, it still resides in my travel case of UMDs, with plenty still to do even after all these years. It is probably my most played handheld game of all time (and I played it on the Xbox a fair bit too).

4. SEGA Rally
In the modern era, SEGA fans seem to make better SEGA games than SEGA do themselves (see also Sonic Mania and the All-Stars Racing games). SEGA Rally was the only game developed by the UK based SEGA Racing Studio, who were sadly closed just as rumours circulated that a new Daytona could be their next project. SRS had been given the opportunity to reboot the series after the somewhat maligned Japan-only SEGA Rally 2006, and so they made a game that only fans could: a game that looked, sounded and, most importantly, felt like SEGA Rally (or, more specifically, what we remembered SEGA Rally looking, sounding and feeling like). The handling is just right, the visual design of the environments is truly beautiful, the announcer still says "hard right, maybe" and "game over, yeah!", and the skies are blue. SEGA blue. More than just a retro revival, SEGA Rally also provided innovation for a new generation of rally games through its surface deformation. This meant the cars ahead of you would change the grip levels of the surface ahead, and each lap would see the track evolve yet further. This can act is an organic catch-up mechanic, with the leaders being the roadsweepers for the chasing pack, although sometimes you will not want to get caught in the puddles that are emerging beneath muddier sections of the track. This dynamism is something I really appreciate, as we will see from my final pick as well...

5. Wave Race: Blue Storm
Wave Race (in its 3D incarnations) absolutely nails the feeling of racing across and through water, and I believe it is still peerless when it comes to navigating waves. To be successful you really need to plan multiple buoys ahead to get your line right, taking into account the positions and velocities of them, other obstacles, your rivals, the water, and also the way in which the former will affect the water. There being so many variables means that there will never be one perfect line, so while learning the courses is essential, you also need to adapt to the particular conditions you are faced with each time you race. I also really like how the systems governing boost and missed buoys are interlinked, adding an extra layer of strategy and risk-versus-reward to the races. It was difficult to choose between this and Wave Race 64 (although the rumble feedback is so essential to the feeling of riding the waves that it needs to be the Japanese only Shindou Edition to come close), but Blue Storm trumps it for me basically because of the titular storms, which significantly add to the challenge of plotting and executing your line through the buoys. That's right, dynamism!
itsgood2slide

Postby d123456 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:18 pm

For me it's still:
Battle Gear 3 Tuned
Battle Gear 3
Battle gear 4 Tuned
Battle Gear 4
Battle Gear 2v

And sadly, I do not think it will ever change unless Taito gets back into the game and starts on Battle Gear 6 which I do not see happening. Or unless someone starts making a super fun racing game with perfect playability, beautiful tracks and a game which is a half simulator/half fun racer.
These games do not have ANY competition, nothing comes close. I literally cannot think of anything. Don't say Initial D. While the games share similar graphics, the gameplay and gaming engine are vastly different.
The only racing game that might be cool is that 90's racer game.
Last edited by d123456 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
d123456

Postby AkumajoBelmont » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:01 am

Awesome, I loved this last year!

1 - BallisticNG (PC)

This has pretty much shot to my Number 1 spot in the space of a year. It had a loads of promise a year ago, but as it inches nearer to 1.0, it's nearing closer and closer to perfection for me. The controls are the best of WipEout 2097/Wip3out/SE, with odes to the modern WO games and even the WipEout 64 in there.

All the courses received redesigns and face-lifts this past year, and in all honesty, are on par with any of the classic tracks in the classic games. Cassandra, Luna, Zephyr Ridge and Arrivon XI deserve to be uttered in the same breath as Altima VII, Mega Mall, Porta Kora, Phenita Park and Talon's Reach. Add to that the Workshop stuff (custom tracks and vehicles), and BallisticNG is basically all the classic WipEout you need in 2017 and beyond. If you know where to look, there's a few straight ports of courses from WO 1/2097/3/SE to play too. Fanging around these really drives home the fact that Neognosis knows what it's doing, and has essentially created a long lost WipEou4. Going from a fan project to on par with the OG trilogy is no mean feat.

The only thing missing is the Designers Republic and licensed music acts. The original music in BnG is as good as the earlier games, but the lack of DR is probably a blessing. Formula Fusion features 'designs' from the Designer's Republic, but you'd never know, since it looks so bland. BNG is a true passion project that I never in a million years thought would ever exist, but here we are. BNG made me better at WipEout. I can now go back an nail stuff I couldn't do before, and I can actually race on the highest speed classes now. I am eternally grateful to Neognosis for BallisticNG, not just for bringing me more of what I loved, but making me better at it in the process.

2 - SEGA Rally Championship.
Port of choice (SAT)

This was my Number 1 last year, and almost was again. Not much to be said about this one, it's still the perfect 32-bit arcade racer. I play a few rounds every couple of weeks or so. Amazing game, and again, the Saturn version is the best.

3 - Daytona USA.
Port of choice (360)

I don't play this one as often as the two above any more, but I still get stuck in every month or so. All the other ports had their moments, but each was too flawed to even hold a candle to the Arcade original. This port eclipses the original, and I'm very thankful it exists at all.

4 - OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast.
Port of choice (Xbox)

It's still OutRun, it's still in my Top 5, and it'll never leave.

5 - San Francisco Rush 2049.
Port of choice (DC)

I missed this one last year. And I don't know how, I play it just as much as Rally or BnG. I love coin hunting, I love the Stunt Mode. The racing is great, and though I don't usually touch the Battle Mode, it's solid as all hell. The smooth visuals don't seem to age either, and only seem more and more the perfect example of Arcade-style bombast and colour. Amazing game that doesn't get the praise it deserves any more. Best played on the Dreamcast, for sure, but all other versions are worth playing if the Dreamcast isn't an option for you.
AkumajoBelmont

Postby skoeldpadda » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:21 am

That's a very neat idea.
Here are mine

1.Race Driver GRID
There's something about this game. I can't remember how, why or when I ended up playing it, I had never played any of the Race Driver games until then (although I did obviously know of the series existence), and since I've played than one, I don't actually feel like I need to. All I ear about it is how "the old ones" felt like role-playing simulations, how GRID 2 ruined it and how Autosport felt like a nice homecoming. And that's not what I received from GRID. To me, GRID feels like an overblowned version of a SEGA arcade racer. More accurately, I've always played it like SEGA Rally Revo's track-based little brother. The physics are bonkers, you can slide your open wheelers and your Le Mans prototypes as well as your Nissan Silvias, there are Touge sprints, drift battles, fantasy tracks that remind me of Scud Race and Ridge Racer... "Simulation" has never been a word I've ever attached to this game. "Boredom" neither. I've been playing it for almost ten years, sometimes I just want to marathon 20 laps of furious destruction derbies, others I feel like dashing through the Mulsanne straight earing the rev limiter of a totally inadapted "tuner" Toyota Supra (which suspiciously looks like its Super GT counterpart)... You can do almost everything and anything in that game. My favorite, by miles.

2.SEGA Rally Revo
I think it's pretty obvious why this game has to be listed just after GRID. I like to think of Revo as the "very first high definition racing game", as in *real* high definition, with terrain modification, at the time hyper realistic weather effects, real simulation of cars motricity (you can feel the -huge- difference between 2 and 4WD)... I know it's not true (if only for its generation, Motorstorm and Colin McRare DiRT had already been released), but that's still what Revo felt like - I mean, you can really dig trenches in the mud or the snow, and reveal water or ice underneath, and it's not just cosmetic like in Motorstorm, it affects your car as laps pass, and no game had ever done that. And it's SEGA Rally. Totally revamped, without timer, running 6 to 8 cars straight-up racing one another on a set number of laps (to the point where it can almost be called SEGA Rallycross), but with everything that made SEGA Rally still here, at its core, intact, and better than ever.

3.Rally Masters
I've never liked the Colin McRae games. Oh, they were good, that much was obvious, but to me, they felt mundane and lacked life. DICE's Rally Masters is the reason why they felt that way. A brash, colorful, arcadey yet somewhat realistic rally game which prefigured, albeit quite a bit tamer, everything that would make RalliSport Challenge a few years later. I don't think I need to elaborate more...

4.1000 Miglia: Great 1000 Miles Rally
That one I owe to MAME, and is both the oldest game and the more recent addition to my list. I've always loved top down racers, my first racing game was Konami's F1 Spirit on MSX and I can't count the number of hours I've invested in Death Rally when it came out. But 1000 Miglia... I had only seen that type of isometric racing game once in my life, and it was the not-really-great PC Rally in 1995. 1000 Miglia feels like PC Rally on acid - lusciously colored, high speeding, coin eating, chrono chasing, 1930s loving acid.

5.Need for Speed Underground 2
Well, I wasn't born yesterday, I had played my share of old DOS and Windows racing games trying to implement an open world. Of the two I remember the most, Vette! was messy, and Midtown Madness, for all the amusing chaos you could create, was downright empty. Underground 2 was the first game where I felt the open world mattered. You had to drive from one place to another, you could find shops by simply exploring the map, discover "hidden" bonuses, and it retained, cranked to a new level of sillyness, all the "tuner" experience of its predecessor. At the time it came out, I could just drive around the map with no purpose and a strange sense of glee, I honestly tought it was the perfect racing game. The early turmoil has since passed, and the model has been surpassed (if only by its own successors), but I still often come back to it with that dumb smile on my face.

It was surprisingly hard to narrow it to five. If that was a top10, I'd certainly have put games like old Amiga's Vroom, Milestone's Screamer Rally (MS-DOS' SEGA Rally), Super Hang-On or Outrun 2006...
Last edited by skoeldpadda on Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yan Holliday, a.k.a. skoeldpadda. Cabinet driver. Roguelikes PhD. Shmup scholar.
skoeldpadda

Postby Thunderer » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:18 am

4.Mille Miglia
That one I owe to MAME, and is both the oldest game and the more recent addition to my list. I've always loved top down racers, my first racing game was Konami's F1 Spirit on MSX and I can't count the number of hours I've invested in Death Rally when it came out. But Mille Miglia... I had only seen that type of isometric racing game once in my life, and it was the not-really-great PC Rally in 1995. Mille Miglia feels like PC Rally on acid - lusciously colored, high speeding, coin eating, chrono chasing, 1930s loving acid.

FYI its full title is 1000 Miglia: Great 1000 Miles Rally
http://www.progettoemma.net/gioco.php?game=gtmr
Thunderer

Postby skoeldpadda » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:25 am

Oh, yes. 1000. Numbers. Indeed. I always confuse with its sequel's title, which is fully lettered. (And I guess I also very inconsciously want to differenciate from an old MS-DOS game of mine which was also titled 1000 Miglia.)
There, edited ;)
Yan Holliday, a.k.a. skoeldpadda. Cabinet driver. Roguelikes PhD. Shmup scholar.
skoeldpadda

Postby KAI » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:57 am

Better late than never

1 - Side by Side 2000
The same reason I picked this game the last year, it's perfect, I discover something new every time I play it. I would like to buy a neGcon for the sole reason of playing it with analog controls.

2 - Battle Gear 2
Perfect sequel of a perfect game. I just started playing using the inner view and I'm enjoying it more than any other game. This could be on my first position if the ps2 version wasn't a downport from the arcade game (also, BG2V port never).

3 - Ridge Racers 2
So many courses, so many music tracks, I love my arcade racers with lots of content.

4 - Sega Rally 2 (PC)
Finally including some Sega on my top 5. I got obsessed with this game while trying to make it work on win xp.
The hand brake and all the different terrains and course conditions, I think this is the finnest rally arcade ever. So sad to see it crippled with awful ports (the dc version with its slowdowns, the pc version running at 60fps but looking like crap).

5 - Ridge Racer V
Again, the most solid game on the series, wish there were more modern RRs like this one, with less nitros and more uncontrollable cars.

That RalliSport Challenge mention, I'm feeling the urge to play that game if you think it's top 5 material Ghegs.
Target Locked! Commence Attack!
KAI
RGDB Contributor

Postby Ghegs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:05 am

KAI, I do think you should give RalliSport Challenge a go.

Funnily enough, just yesterday I was looking at my copy of Sega Rally 2 PC on my shelf and thinking I should install it on my new computer. Maybe we can start attacking that as well?
Ghegs

Postby d123456 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:20 pm

KAI wrote:2 - Battle Gear 2
Perfect sequel of a perfect game. I just started playing using the inner view and I'm enjoying it more than any other game. This could be on my first position if the ps2 version wasn't a downport from the arcade game (also, BG2V port never).

The PS2 port features all of the BG2v tracks, right?
d123456

Postby KAI » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:36 pm

Yep, but it lacks the arcade graphic quality and the handbrake mechanics.

Something similar happens with my decision of not including the vanilla BG3, if only the PS2 port included the Akagi and Nagao Pass courses, the game will be for sure on my top 3. Damn you Taito!
Target Locked! Commence Attack!
KAI
RGDB Contributor

Postby Thunderer » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:17 am

but looking like crap).

uhhhh....there's always dgvoodoo2 to exponentially increase graphic quality.
Thunderer

Postby d123456 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:15 pm

KAI wrote:Yep, but it lacks the arcade graphic quality and the handbrake mechanics.

Something similar happens with my decision of not including the vanilla BG3, if only the PS2 port included the Akagi and Nagao Pass courses, the game will be for sure on my top 3. Damn you Taito!

BG2 feautures something like 8 extra courses and BG3 features 2 extra courses from BG3T, they could have added the handbrake yes, but they focused on gameplay and not on graphics. I thank Taito for porting these games. Where's BG4Tuned for modern platforms? or BG5 for the arcade
d123456

Postby skoeldpadda » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:26 pm

d123456 wrote:Where's BG4Tuned for modern platforms? or BG5 for the arcade

Well, the answer's quite simple, really : they stopped making games.

The detailled explanation goes something like this :
Taito officialy started a slow process of closing its studios and stopping making new games in 1999, chosing to focus on hardware development and publishing. That's what gave us the Taito Type X machines, for example. The last Taito games developed in house were released in 2001.
In 2005, they were bought by the brand-new and all-powerfull Square Enix. Square wanted to merge Taito with its own arcade company, SQEX. By 2006, the merger was complete, and although it was the Taito name that survived, the resulting company was more SQEX's daughter that Taito's. It didn't stop the hardware-focused strategy, however, and Taito continued to lend its licences to other developers and simply publish the games. That's when the Type X-2 appeared, compilation of old arcade titles began to flood the console market, and Taito started branching into mobile.
Then, in 2010, it became even more complicated : over the course of three month (between January and March if I remember correctly), Square merged Taito (the old SQEX) with another arcade company, ES1, then split back the two, naming the first Taito Soft and the second Taito Corporation. Taito Corporation (the old ES1) inherited the arcade and mobile business, and Taito Soft was quickly disolved.
The Taito that operates as of December 2017 is this Taito Corporation.

To resume and simplify : the Taito that made games is dead since 2005, and since then, two companies have bored its name, continuing to develop arcade hardware (the Type X 3 in 2012, for example) and lending licences (mainly on mobile), but no game has been developed by "Taito" for the past sixteen years. (Battle Gear 3 was made by a company named Nextech and released on Namco hardware, and Battle gear 4, although indeed running on Taito's own Type X hardware, is ghost-developed by an unknown crew on Criterion's RenderWare.)
So, unless some crazy developer comes to them with a rock-solid concept to revive the name (like, for instance, Pyramid did for Darius with its Dariusburst series), there will not be another Battle Gear, on any platform.
skoeldpadda

Postby d123456 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:08 pm

Nextech, hm I've seen their logo, did not even know they were a software dev.
They did well, so did that unknown crew. Those guys should work together to make BG5.
Thanks for the info
d123456

Postby Thunderer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:24 am

So, unless some crazy developer comes to them with a rock-solid concept to revive the name (like, for instance, Pyramid did for Darius with its Dariusburst series), there will not be another Battle Gear, on any platform.

more like, 99.9% of Japanese developer won't bother arcade racers anymore. Unless if they can somehow make a successful gacha filled mobage one-finger drift simulator trash.

But seeing how Shutoko Xtreme crashed and burned so quickly that's not even gonna happening.
Thunderer

Postby ZoomyMcZoomus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:22 am

1. Test Drive: Eve of Destruction

2. Vanishing Point

3. Crash Team Racing

4. NASCAR Heat 2002

5. Network Q RAC Rally Championship

Sorry for the lack of explanations! I just wanted to make sure I do not miss the deadline (again)!
ZoomyMcZoomus

Postby skoeldpadda » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:44 pm

ZoomyMcZoomus wrote:Network Q RAC Rally Championship

That's a good choice. Featuring the infamous Pundershaw, the longuest rally track in any game, ever. I dread it everytime I dare to launch that championship :P
The 1999 version wasn't half bad, either. Shorter, but more graphically diverse. (Man, from Lombard Rally to Rally Championship 2000, the RAC series was good...)
skoeldpadda

Postby Ghegs » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:26 pm

skoeldpadda wrote:
ZoomyMcZoomus wrote:Network Q RAC Rally Championship

That's a good choice. Featuring the infamous Pundershaw, the longuest rally track in any game, ever.

Looked up a video of it. 20-25 minutes! That's kind of awesome, makes me want to give the game a go.
Ghegs

Postby skoeldpadda » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:13 pm

And that's only for the longest one. There's a bunch of stages running 10 to 15 minutes, too, from a total of 28. That game is big.

To make it work, you'll need DOSBox (or an old DOS/Win9x computer) and it's kind of a pain to launch properly (you'll need to mount an iso or your CD drive into DOSBox ; no rip I've found has ever worked), but it's well worth the effort.
skoeldpadda

Postby Ghegs » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:07 am

I had to edit your post a bit to remove the names and links to forbidden sites (as per Forum Guidelines).

I'm familiar with DOSBox and mounting an iso with it is easy peasy, so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle. Maybe I'll just buy a copy from eBay, seems to be available in abundance and on the cheap. Do you know if the game can recognize modern controllers without issues? The DOSBox racers on GOG (Screamer 1 and 2, some others) work fine with them after some config fiddling.
Ghegs

Postby skoeldpadda » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:15 pm

Oh, sorry.
Since we've talked DOSBox, MAME and emulation on many topics, I thought abandonware was okay. I'll be mindfull next time.

For gamepads, I know the classical version of DOSBox has a few recognition problems, but the alternative build DOSBox SVN works perfectly (and is way easier to use, with the added menu bar).
skoeldpadda

Postby ZoomyMcZoomus » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:54 pm

It's a really good game. I hope you enjoy it! :)
ZoomyMcZoomus

Postby Ghegs » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:35 pm

I guess I forgot to put to the main post when the voting time ends. Whoops! I was planning on running it for a month like last time, so there's a bit less than 24 hours left to it. Get those votes in!
Ghegs

Postby Ghegs » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:27 pm

The voting time has now ended! Let me just tally up the results...

Results up here!
Ghegs

Return to General Discussion