Best 2D racing games of all time.

Discussion not focusing on a single game or series. Also forum-related matters.

Best 2D racing games of all time.

Postby d123456 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:07 pm

In much the same manner as the "The Second Annual Top 5 Racing Games of All Time" (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=649)
I suggest we do a top 5 of 2D racing games of all time. Just because I want to find out which are the best and perhaps find some hidden gems in the process. We could also split it into thread; one with Out Run style and the other for overhead style.

We could have several categories:
Outrun style games, arcade
Outrun style games, arcade ports/original games
Overhead style games, arcade
Overhead style games, arcade ports/original games

Outrun style games, arcade
-Outrunners

Outrun style games, arcade ports/original games
-Out Run (Saturn, Dreamcast)
-Burnout (Jaguar) I've actually never played it, but it seems awesome

Overhead style games, arcade
-Hot Rod

Overhead style games, arcade ports/original games
-Micro Machines 2 (SNES)
d123456

Re: Best 2D racing games of all time.

Postby Thunderer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:00 am

non-Arcade (console/PC)
Death Rally
Rock & Roll Racing
F-Zero

Arcade:
Chase HQ
Rad Rally
Thrash Rally

Does isometric 2D count? Then The Great 1000 Miles Rally could easily trumps all
Rest in peace Ridge Racer franchise, 1993-2012. Never forget, never forgive.
Thunderer

Postby spectre » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:11 am

I think we should just do a Top 5 overall with maybe an additional honorable mention? Splitting it up will make it too complicated. Allow both arcade and home versions like we do in the regular Top 5.

My top 5 2D games would look like this:
Out Run (Arcade)
Super Mairo Kart (SNES)
F-Zero (SNES)
Road Fighter (Arcade)
Power Drift (Arcade)

It's been a while since I've tried Outrunners in an arcade but in MAME the sound seems really high pitched and a bit distorted. Is it like that in the arcade too?
spectre

Postby itsgood2slide » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:39 am

My experience of 2D racing games is rather limited, but I certainly enjoy playing new games and making lists.

Separate lists for arcade and console releases would be a step too far for me though. My initial shortlist consists entirely of console games:
Wave Race
Road Rash
Micro Machines
OutRun Europa
F-Zero
Magic Racing GP2
Oh, Deer!
Moto Racer Advance
Last edited by itsgood2slide on Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
itsgood2slide

Postby skoeldpadda » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:33 pm

A long time ago (and in another language), I had written a long article detailing precisely just that : what were the best 2D arcade racers, either in classical "chase cam" or top down (to my surprise, top down and isometric games were far more popular back then, maybe easier to program?). I tested something like 200 of them, on many supports (emulation helped), noted tropes and particularities, things in gameplay and overall presentation that stood out, and obviously general reception at the time and how well they stood the test of time.
The idea was really to have the most objective view as possible, while obviously not forgetting my own tastes regarding said games (for example, I don't like kart/combat racers, and first person games tend to give me motion sickness). Thus, a few classics surfaced, but I also ended with quite a few games I didn't even know existed (and sometimes by quite big names like Namco or Konami) when I started that long exploration...

Long story short, here are the lists I came up with at that time (top-11, sorted by release date) :

Arcade cabinets :
Turbo (SEGA,1981)
OutRun (SEGA,1986)
Super Hang-On (SEGA,1987)
Chase HQ (Taito,1988)
Chequered Flag (Konami,1988)
Ironman Stewart Super Offroad (Leland,1989)
Dirt Fox (Namco,1989)
Thrash Rally (ADK,1991)
F1 Super Lap (SEGA,1993)
1000 Miglia: Great 1000 Miles Rally (Kaneko,1994)
Slip Stream (Capcom,1995)

Home consoles/computers (I only considered exclusive games, so no ports) :
F-1 Spirit (Konami,1987)
R.C. Pro-Am/Championship Pro Am (Rare,1988/1992)
Final Lap Twin (Namco,1989)
F-Zero (Nintendo,1990)
Road Rash (EA,1991)
Micro Machines (Codemasters,1991)
Lotus Turbo Challenge 2/Top Gear (Gremlin,1991/1992)
Crazy Cars III/Lamborghini American Challenge (Titus,1992/1994)
Power Drive (Rage,1994)
Super Skidmarks (Acid Software,1995)
Death Rally (Apogee,1996)

Depending on your country of origin, you might want to swap out Super Skidmarks (which was big in Europe) for Blizzard's Rock'n'Roll Racing (which was big in the US).
As far as first person go, Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP II (SEGA,1992) was a huge success on Megadrive/Genesis, and I still hesistate whether or not to consider Vroom (Lankhor,1991) an arcade game.
And you could argue that Namco's Pole Position should appear somewhere, but contrary to SEGA's Turbo (a game equaly as influencial), that game has aged terribly ; in fact, I'd go as much as saying that Namco's racing games weren't that good in 2D (the Final Lap games, for example, I find absolutely awful). It's only with Ridge Racer that they really found their pace.
Last edited by skoeldpadda on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yan 'skoeldpadda' Holliday. Cabinet driver. Roguelikes PhD. Shmup scholar.
skoeldpadda

Postby Thunderer » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:56 am

Slip Stream (Konami,1995)

Uhhhh....it was made by Capcom
http://www.progettoemma.net/gioco.php?game=slipstrm
Thunderer

Postby spectre » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:49 am

oh my, that list brought back some memories. I put SO much time into:
Lotsus Esprit Turbo Challenge 2
Super Skidmarks
Death Rally

Me and my friends even linked up 2 Amiga 500s to play 4 player Lotus 2. Great times.

If you're into single screen top down racers like Super Skidmarks you should check out the free game Generally. It has tons and tons of different fanmade vehicles and tracks and it plays SO well. It's been years since I checked but there used to be online events and leaderboards.
spectre

Postby skoeldpadda » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:40 am

Thunderer wrote:
Slip Stream (Konami,1995)

Uhhhh....it was made by Capcom
http://www.progettoemma.net/gioco.php?game=slipstrm

Oh s*** ! :lol:
Worst thing is, at first I had written a long note on it about how it was a strange project on SEGA's System 32 by a very small team at Capcom that only ever was released officialy in South America and all that... And yet I put "Konami".
That's what happens when you write posts based on old memories and you try to write down everything you can before you forget :lol:
And I'm pretty sure I could have read that post another million times and never notice.

There, corrected. Thank you. :P

spectre wrote:If you're into single screen top down racers like Super Skidmarks you should check out the free game Generally. It has tons and tons of different fanmade vehicles and tracks and it plays SO well. It's been years since I checked but there used to be online events and leaderboards.

I second that.
There was a sequel in the works, too, but there has been no news in, like, two or three years.
skoeldpadda

Postby Ghegs » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:50 am

skoeldpadda wrote:A long time ago (and in another language), I had written a long article detailing precisely just that : what were the best 2D arcade racers, either in classical "chase cam" or top down

If you're interested, I'd love to have that article up in the site's Resources section. Assuming you can bother to translate it to English.
Speed is the magic that gives us direction
Ghegs

Postby skoeldpadda » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:46 pm

Ghegs wrote:
skoeldpadda wrote:A long time ago (and in another language), I had written a long article detailing precisely just that : what were the best 2D arcade racers, either in classical "chase cam" or top down

If you're interested, I'd love to have that article up in the site's Resources section. Assuming you can bother to translate it to English.

I can. It'll take me some time (that's a long article...), but yeah, totally. :)
skoeldpadda

Postby Thunderer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:41 am

spectre wrote:If you're into single screen top down racers like Super Skidmarks you should check out the free game Generally. It has tons and tons of different fanmade vehicles and tracks and it plays SO well. It's been years since I checked but there used to be online events and leaderboards.

Too bad Generally 2 has been reduced to nothing but vaporware at this point
Thunderer

Postby davyK » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:27 pm

In no particular order:-

Outrun (arcade)
F-Zero (SNES)
Super Mario Kart (SNES)
Micro Machines '96 (Megadrive)
Pole Position (1/2) (arcade). An earlier poster says this hasn't aged well. That may be but the impact of this game back in the day was astounding.

Does Manx TT count? Not sure if that's a super scaler? If it is then it belongs in my list.
EDIT: no - it's a poly game. Forgot how great it looks!!
davyK

Postby spectre » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:53 pm

I have access to a Pole Position II arcade machine and I think it definitely holds up.

The steering is pinpoint accurate and very satisfying and I'm baffled by that such an old games have things like cold tires and drafting!?
spectre

Postby bVork » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:57 am

5. Formula One: Built to Win (NES)
You start with a crummy little Mini Cooper. You earn money from races to upgrade your cars and buy new ones, and placing first in every race lets you get a higher grade driver's license and enter more difficult races. Rinse and repeat. Eventually you acquire a Formula One car. And then the real game begins. Upgrades won't save you now. This is the Formula One of 1990 and 1991. You're facing off against digital re-creations of Mansell, Senna, and Prost. And they are every bit as good in this game as they were in real life. Good luck.

4. Crazy Cars III (Commodore Amiga)
Where did this come from? The first two Crazy Cars games are trash, but this is in fact my favourite racing game on the system. Yes, I like it even more than the Lotus games. What really makes it click for me is the floatiness of the car. Handling feels loose in a really fun way, making it exciting to go around curves and thread through traffic. The police presence in the game also adds a nice twist, forcing you to choose between braking when your radar detector beeps (and potentially sacrificing position) in order to avoid the police or going all-out and trying to just stay one step ahead of them. I also like the track variety. Spokane is a short, narrow track where you can accelerate to ridiculous speeds on the downhill parts. Boston is a medium-width track without much in the way of tight turns or elevation changes, but is absolutely packed with traffic. Each track has a great deal of personality. In fact, the game itself oozes with quirky personality. The goofy portraits of your rivals, the way you race almost entirely at sunset or in the dark, the betting sequences - while I wouldn't quite call it "crazy," there's definitely an off-kilterness that I find very appealing.

3. Super Burnout (Atari Jaguar)
Perhaps the best reason to own an Atari Jaguar console these days. A blazing fast motorcycle racer that throws a thousand sprites at you at a flawless 60 fps. The controls are absolutely perfect - you always feel in total control of your bike, something that I feel is often missing in motorcycle racers. This is the only game that can stand up to Sega's arcade titans.

2. Super Hang-On (Arcade)
OutRun's cousin from the wrong side of the tracks. No branching paths here, no relaxing drives. Just desperate turbocharged driving where one mistake will probably cost you the race. I play OutRun to relax; I play Super Hang-On to push myself to the limit.

1. OutRun (Arcade)
Sega's beautiful journey is of course my favourite 2D racer. What can be said that hasn't been said a thousand times about this wonderful game? Controls, music, art, track design, it all comes together so perfectly and yet in such variety. Whether you're avoiding the sides of Devil's Canyon or taking in the sunset at Lakeside, OutRun is simply joyous.
bVork

Return to General Discussion